Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

03 Corolla Noisy Tires?

By 03toyola, September 20, 2004

See every reply in these pages:

Fish...

What's the ride like with 44psi?

Well, the tire ask for 44PSI for max cold inflation (Kumho ECSTA Supra 712). Ride-wise, not too bad for low profiles at that inflation on OEM suspension.

When I had the Goodyears (Integrity) - the same way - not as harse as people say. But then again - I drive almost 90% highway. Some dirt roads around here - but not really bad of a ride at 44PSI.

Dealer kept bleeding them down to 26-28PSI - I kept pumping them back up. Handling behavior was much more progressive and linear at higher tire pressures than at the factory specs. Didn't see much difference with acceleration or braking. Wet weather and some snow, it was hard to tell - the tire sucked at any pressure. If you have really bad roads or hit large expansion cracks - then you might feel that the ride is too stiff.

Just replaced the stock Goodyear Integrity tires on my 2005 Corolla S after 1500 miles with Goodyear ****urance TripleTred. After checking out the reviews on the Integrities, I decided I didn't want to risk my life in the rain and snow, so I decided to upgrade as soon as possible. I did a lot of research, and my choice came down to the TripleTred or Michelin Harmony. While they have a higher rating on tirerack.com, the TripleTreds just came out early this year, so there isn't a whole lot of experience with them yet (for instance, no one has had a chance to drive them in the snow yet). So I was leaning towards the Michelin's due to my previous experience with Michelin (I personally believe Michelin is the best overall tire company by far).

Well, I decided to check up on the Goodyear's and called a Goodyear service center nearby, and it turns out that Goodyear has a trade-in policy, so I got some cash back for my slightly used Integrities. That plus the cheaper price of the TripleTred's sold me. All in all, I saved over $25/tire, and the ratings on the Goodyear are higher. I've only driven it 200 miles so far, but the traction is definitely an improvement over the Integrities (not a hard thing to do). Also, high speed (75-80 mph) tracking is much improved. I purposely drove fast through a big puddle left by Hurricane Jeanne and my Rolla drove straight through.

One slightly negative thing I noticed is that these tires aren't as comfortable as the Integrities. I feel the bumps in the road more strongly now than before. This is probably due to the firmer sidewalls on the TripleTreds. If you like to feel the road and a "sporty" ride, you probably won't mind. Road noise is not an issue with these tires. These tires are definitely a vast improvement over the Integrities, which would squeal while turning most corners, and were terrible in wet conditions. Given my limited experience so far, I would recommend these tires. I'll write an update in a few months after I have put some more miles on the car, and see how they behave in rain and snow.

Also, if you buy a new Corolla with the Integrities, call up your nearest Goodyear dealer immediately since they have a buyback offer for new tires. I think the limit for this offer is 50 miles on your tires, so do it as soon as possible.

Never even occured to me. Great tip on the trade in on the Goodyears - thanks mgchiu.

Topic List