Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Urgent Carfax Request

by tinto99, February 1, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

My daughter's car (I bought from e-Bay) had a "salvage" title.The used car dealer that sold it said it would not make a difference.

I got it cheap and the car looked and ran fine.

What does "salvage" mean and how does it affect anything like insurance, registration, etc??

Usually a "salvage title" is issued when a vehicle is damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle exceeds roughly 75% of its pre-damage value, via collision accident, natural disasters (hurricane, tornado, flood, etc.), or some other damage (engine fire, etc.). Of course the 75% threshold is approximate - it differs from state to state. Insurance companies generally consider the vehicle a total loss and submits it as either "salvage" or "junk". Some states treat "junk titles" the same as "salvage titles" - but many states use this title to indicate that the vehicle is no longer road worthy and cannot be titled in that state again. Doesn't stop some used car dealers to buy salvage and/or junk titled or otherwised distressed vehicles at auction - apply for a new title in a different state, fix the damage, and Cha-Ching road worthy again. Lots of time - the damage is superficial - but with most of the unitbody construction - sometimes the damage is just severe enough to compromise the passenger cabin. Pretty hard to give up though - take a gamble and get a super deal - or find out later, that there was much more damage than anticipated.

Bikeman982

My daughter's car (I bought from e-Bay) had a "salvage" title.The used car dealer that sold it said it would not make a difference.

I got it cheap and the car looked and ran fine.

What does "salvage" mean and how does it affect anything like insurance, registration, etc??

Usually a "salvage title" is issued when a vehicle is damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle exceeds roughly 75% of its pre-damage value, via collision accident, natural disasters (hurricane, tornado, flood, etc.), or some other damage (engine fire, etc.). Of course the 75% threshold is approximate - it differs from state to state. Insurance companies generally consider the vehicle a total loss and submits it as either "salvage" or "junk". Some states treat "junk titles" the same as "salvage titles" - but many states use this title to indicate that the vehicle is no longer road worthy and cannot be titled in that state again. Doesn't stop some used car dealers to buy salvage and/or junk titled or otherwised distressed vehicles at auction - apply for a new title in a different state, fix the damage, and Cha-Ching road worthy again. Lots of time - the damage is superficial - but with most of the unitbody construction - sometimes the damage is just severe enough to compromise the passenger cabin. Pretty hard to give up though - take a gamble and get a super deal - or find out later, that there was much more damage than anticipated.

I think I lucked out, my daughter's car is in pretty good shape. I think it must have had the back end in water, because the light bulb sockets for the tail lights were corroded. I changed those with some I got from the junkyard, that were not corroded.

JIM,

IF IT WOULD BE OK...

I COULD USE ONE FOR THE 1997 I JUST GOT..

1NXBB02E1VZ604440

THANKS,

CHRIS

Thank you very much Jim.....

Chris..

Bikeman982

Chris..

Did you get it from a dealer?

Chris..

Kind of....

Really just a very small outfit that gets

cars from the auctions and resells them...licensed though...no real lot...works out of a strip mall office..

Really nice car,sure wish I could tell if the timing belt was done though,Carfax shows service done but not what or where....Got it for my 16yo son but I am getting a kick out of

driving it... default_smile

Chris..

Bikeman982

Chris..

Kind of....

cars from the auctions and resells them...licensed though...no real lot...works out of a strip mall office..

Really nice car,sure wish I could tell if the timing belt was done though,Carfax shows service done but not what or where....Got it for my 16yo son but I am getting a kick out of

Chris..

The easiest and quickest way to get a look at the timing belt is to take off the valve cover.

That exposes the top of the timing belt.

Chris..

Kind of....

Chris..

The easiest and quickest way to get a look at the timing belt is to take off the valve cover.

Could I tell from looking whether it was done or not though??

How would I tell??

Chris

Bikeman982

Chris..

Kind of....

Chris..

Could I tell from looking whether it was done or not though??

How would I tell??

Chris

You can tell if it is starting to fray, or if it feels stretched.

Guest corotoy02

Hi Jim,

Any way to run these VINs for me?

1N6AD07WX6C433963

JM1FE173340117725

JM3LW28J650532629

I am curios if the info provided by the dealers match what Carfax is reporting.

Many thanks for your help!!!

Chris

tinto99,

I ran a carfax report for ya. Saved it as: YV1RS592162533811 carfax report

Looks clean to me. Only thing of interest to note is that it was most likely a fleet vehicle.

hope this helps,

jim

PS, I happen to have unlimited carfax reports until 2/15/2007 since I've been in the market for a car (and happily found my corolla).

Guest corotoy02

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate your quick reply - the info came in really handy!

Thanks again.

Chris

1N6AD07WX6C433963

JM1FE173340117725

JM3LW28J650532629

jim

Hi Jim,

Any way to run these VINs for me?

1N6AD07WX6C433963

JM1FE173340117725

JM3LW28J650532629

I am curios if the info provided by the dealers match what Carfax is reporting.

Many thanks for your help!!!

Chris

tinto99,

I ran a carfax report for ya. Saved it as: YV1RS592162533811 carfax report

Looks clean to me. Only thing of interest to note is that it was most likely a fleet vehicle.

hope this helps,

jim

PS, I happen to have unlimited carfax reports until 2/15/2007 since I've been in the market for a car (and happily found my corolla).

Bikeman982

A few more days left on your Carfax reports. Get them while you can!!

I'm finalizing the deal on my Camry, but my brother in Calgary is buying a used Corolla, and hes looking at 3 vehicles...here are the VINs if possible...

2T1BR32E44C827441

2T1BR32E44C817105

2T1BR32E33C2-7072

Thanks, Jim! They look clean default_smile

I'll send em on to my brother.

Bikeman982

I'm finalizing the deal on my Camry, but my brother in Calgary is buying a used Corolla, and hes looking at 3 vehicles...here are the VINs if possible...

2T1BR32E44C827441

2T1BR32E44C817105

2T1BR32E33C2-7072

2T1BR32E44C827441

2T1BR32E44C817105

The 3rd one is invalid according to carfax.

jim

Probably no "-" (dash) in the VIN.

I'd appreciated if could you run this thru for me:

YV1AA8843L1427186

It's a Volvo that I've been interested in.

I'd appreciated if could you run this thru for me:YV1AA8843L1427186

It's a Volvo that I've been interested in.

Sorry, my 30 day unlimited reports ended yesterday. As I'm no longer in the market for purchasing a vehicle, I won't be renewing for another month.

BTW, some dealerships will run a carfax report for you. The one I bought my corolla from said they run them for people all the time.

jim

Topic List