Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1994 Corolla With Blown Engine-

By Bikeman982, January 30, 2007 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Bikeman982

I bid on a 1994 Corolla with a blown engine on e-bay.

What do you think it is worth?

I plan on changing the engine myself - I have a used one in my yard.

Unfortunatey it is 2850 miles away from where I live and I have to pay to get it transported.

I hope that the cost of the car plus the cost to transport it will be less than the KBB price.

My plans are to sell the car I am driving now and to keep the e-Bay car after I fix it.

Any thoughts on whether or not I should spend my time on changing the engine??

prolly 500 bucks no more than that i would only pay maybe 300 for it

Bikeman982

prolly 500 bucks no more than that i would only pay maybe 300 for it
I checked the Kelly Blue Book price and even with a bad engine and some other minor problems (fair condition), it is worth $2135 in New Jersey and $2460 in California where I live.

That is for a private party sale. Dealers or used car places would want even more.

eh well 2 grand is the most i would pay for a good running one just because around here i know i can pick some prizms and corollas up for around 1000, if i got one with a bad engine, i know a normal engine is around 200-400 around here so i wouldnt want more than 1500 into a whole car, cause just remember your time and labor, yah you dont have to pay for that but why pay more when you gotta do it yourself

You can figure on a minimum of $1000 to move the car....probably more with today's fuel costs. I'd keep my eye open for something nearby.

............I hope that the cost of the car plus the cost to transport it will be less than the KBB price.

Bikeman982

You can figure on a minimum of $1000 to move the car....probably more with today's fuel costs. I'd keep my eye open for something nearby.

............I hope that the cost of the car plus the cost to transport it will be less than the KBB price.

The estimates for moving the car were from $895 to $1400.

I chose a reputable business for $1000.

I never go with the cheapest, or the most expensive.

Bikeman982

Today I took the 1.8L 7A-FE engine from my yard and started to clean it up for future use.

I took all the accesories off it and wire brushed and degreased it.

I then washed it down (of course I covered all the opening).

I then painted the engine and some of the parts, and put them back on the engine.

I expect the next e-Bay project car to arrive in 15 days and then will commense engine removal.

I will of course make numerous posts to keep everyone up to date on my progress.

If I have questions, I will ask as they come up.

Thanks for all the good advice and the collective knowledge of the Corolland members.

Bikeman982

Well, the car mover took my deposit and although the quote was for a pick-up on Tuesday or Wednesday, he says he can't get to it until Friday.

That seems acceptable to me (even though he should not have put it on the quote, if he couldn't do it then). I hope the seller can accommodate.

Bikeman982

Well, the car mover took my deposit and although the quote was for a pick-up on Tuesday or Wednesday, he says he can't get to it until Friday.That seems acceptable to me (even though he should not have put it on the quote, if he couldn't do it then). I hope the seller can accommodate.
The car is being picked up at noon on Friday, February 9th.

I expect it may take about 10 - 15 days to arrive at my house.

Bikeman982

Update : the warnings about bad auto shippers is starting to materialize for me.

The previous owner at the pick-up location called and the car was not picked up when scheduled.

The auto transport office is closed on the weekend and I have left voice mail messages and e-mails.

Maybe tomorrow I will learn more.

I thought it could have been weather related, but the prior owner says that it has just been cold.

I will keep you posted.

Bikeman982

Good news for me - the car was picked up Friday night and is supposed to be delivered to my house tomorrow.

The seller failed to call and let me know.

The auto transport contractor told me their truck had a mechanical failure and they were trying to locate another shipper (obviously an excuse).

They finally heard from the trucker that picked it up and they called me to let me know. I am kind of relieved that my deposit was not lost.

I will keep you posted.

Bikeman982

The car mover says the car is in Sacramento today (45 miles away) and the driver will contact all the car owners (must be a multiple car transporter) to set up a delivery time. They would not give me the driver's number (not until later - after I talked to someone else there).

I called the number and there is no answer. I am still waiting to hear from the delivery driver.

Bikeman982

The delivery driver called today and wants to deliver between 2 and 5 tomorrow.

I asked to get it tonight. I may be at work tomorrow. I would prefer tonight - We shall see.

Bikeman982

Update;

I received the car and have removed the bad engine and installed another engine.

I have to put on the accessories and then give it a try.

Check some of my other posts for pictures.

I will keep you posted.

Bikeman982

Engine was changed, didn't start up.

Troubleshooting is required to find reason.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

I have purchased a new distributor and I hope that will fix the problem.

There are a couple of other minor problems that I also need to take care of.

I will keep you informed after I try the distributors.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm