Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Toyota To Sell Flex-fuel Vehicles In Us In 2008

By NILLINOIS, January 22, 2007

Seems they don't want to put all their eggs in one hybrid (Prius) basket. My only question is..why did it take so long?

Toyota to Introduce Flex-Fuel Vehicles in US by 2008

The Financial Times reports that Toyota is planning to sell flex-fuel vehicles in the US by 2008 to address the surge of interest in ethanol as a renewable fuel. In 2005, Toyota indicated that it was developing flex-fuel vehicles targeted toward the Latin American market. (Earlier post.)

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/04/toyota_to_intro.html

Not sure why they waited - probably to feel out the market and see if it was something that had some stability. Given Toyota's past history - they like to play it safe with car designs and vehicle direction. Though lately, they have been a bit more cavalier than what I would expect from a large Japanese company. Might be just Toyota getting ready to introduce FFV - but not before they get theor lineup straigtened out (killing off the sportier cars and tightening up the line).

Bikeman982

I think introduce and sell means the same thing, except if it is really popular, they will make lots more.

• 1,424 posts
Seems they don't want to put all their eggs in one hybrid (Prius) basket. My only question is..why did it take so long?

Because Ford and GM did it on some of their best selling models and the FFV vehicles didn't sell compared to the volume of the vehicles sold.

E85 isn't widely available in major portions of the country either.

Bikeman982

A lot of pressure is being put on manufacturers from the government emission requirements.

That seems to be a driving force to them creating alternate fuel vehicles.

Finally found a stn with E85. Meijer just down the street.

Its $0.10 cheaper than regular.

tdk.

Bikeman982

Finally found a stn with E85. Meijer just down the street.Its $0.10 cheaper than regular.

tdk.

That is fortunate for you, if that us what you use.

• 1,424 posts

None of TDK's vehicles are E85 capable.

E85 doesn't do hardly anyone any good since their cars can't run it without damage to the emissions control and fuel systems.

Our cars can run E10 or E15, which is widely available, and many times you are purchasing it without even knowing it.

Bikeman982

None of TDK's vehicles are E85 capable.

E85 doesn't do hardly anyone any good since their cars can't run it without damage to the emissions control and fuel systems.

Our cars can run E10 or E15, which is widely available, and many times you are purchasing it without even knowing it.

Then it matters not that there is some E85 down the street from him.

There is a MPG drop with E85 vs normal gasoline. The $0.10 price drop will not make up for the loss of mpg. It varies between vehicles of course but estimates are 20 to 30 % drop.

See for Youself

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfueltype.htm

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)