Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Corolla Ce, Any Aftermarket Parts?

Guest privateyeblckbx

Hi, im new to the forum and ive been having trouble to find parts for the 2001 corolla im going to get (not my choice), ive seen universal parts and i dont really want to mess with those and there arent too many parts for it (mainly performance wise) i was wondering what are some good websites or shops that have a selection of performance parts for my 2001 Corolla CE? and the car is currently automatic and i was wonder if i could change it to stick? i mean ive seen it done before on a 240sx but what about a corolla? nad where and how much? thanks

• 1,424 posts
Hi, im new to the forum and ive been having trouble to find parts for the 2001 corolla im going to get (not my choice), ive seen universal parts and i dont really want to mess with those and there arent too many parts for it (mainly performance wise) i was wondering what are some good websites or shops that have a selection of performance parts for my 2001 Corolla CE? and the car is currently automatic and i was wonder if i could change it to stick? i mean ive seen it done before on a 240sx but what about a corolla? nad where and how much? thanks

Unfortunately for you, the 1ZZ-FE (your engine) is optimized so well already that not many parts that actually improve it's performance. There are suspension mods and tire/wheels to deal with though.

If you ask me, the Corolla is fine in the power department, but it needs a suspension and wheel tire upgrade badly. That is what I would look into if I was you. Look at tire rack, or search the forums for more info.

As for your transaxle, it can be done, I believe texasrolla did it to his car. However, his car isn't the same generation as yours and I'm fairly sure your car will be a lot harder to change over. I can't give you an exact dollar value, but I know it cost about 1k to replace a transaxle auto to auto, which is plug and play. Converting to a stick means swapping out ecu's wiring harnesses, adding slave cylinders, a clutch, a clutch pedal, etc. I'm thinking no one will do that for the same price that they would an auto to auto swap. I really can't think of any specific websites at this moment, but you'll find links to them all over the forums.

Now if you can do it yourself that is another story, but I'm guessing if you could do it yourself, you wouldn't be on a Corolla forum asking if it could be done.

Bikeman982

There are people that could do it, but I think it is more trouble to change from an auto to a standard than it would be to change cars.

Guest privateyeblckbx

thanks, and that does sound like a lot of work to change it to stick,i just love stick and i had a 86 toyota pickup but some bitch cut me off and it got totaled and i was suppose to get a 91 accord that had shaved door handles, rims, adjustable suspension, paint and was stick but my mom decided to get it for herself and give me her corolla. im pretty pissed about the whole deal but i just want a good looking car that will give those damn hondas a run for their money. and what exactly is a tire rack?

Bikeman982

thanks, and that does sound like a lot of work to change it to stick,i just love stick and i had a 86 toyota pickup but some bitch cut me off and it got totaled and i was suppose to get a 91 accord that had shaved door handles, rims, adjustable suspension, paint and was stick but my mom decided to get it for herself and give me her corolla. im pretty pissed about the whole deal but i just want a good looking car that will give those damn hondas a run for their money. and what exactly is a tire rack?
Tire rack is a collection of tires, rims, wheels and assorted pieces.

Basically it is a choice of what is available.

Is your mom that attached to the 'rolla staying in the family? If it's worth sinking that much effort into, it's probably eminently resaleable. In any kind of decent shape, used automatic Toyotas sell themselves. Find a stick Corolla (or Civic or Impreza), maybe even a little cheaper than the Corolla sells for. Use the difference to tune up the new car.

I think you could buy a pretty nice 7th gen stick Corolla for the price of converting yours over.

Ya, I would try and trade for a 5sp Honda or Subie. They have much better support for performance parts.

Max

Tire rack is a collection of tires, rims, wheels and assorted pieces.Basically it is a choice of what is available.

Are you being funny, Bike? Tire Rack is a tire (and more) retailer. Website is www.tirerack.com

Tire rack expanded years ago. They sell tires, wheels, street and performance shocks, brakes, suspension. They even sell lights, wipers, and air intakes now.

the99contour :

What are the tire/wheel suspension upgrades you recommend? I have noticed the suspension isn't as nice as the Mazda3 I also test drove (but I got the corolla b/c of better overall reliability)

Are there any mods/swaps to those components that would be easy, and/or not void warranty?

thanks

• 1,424 posts
the99contour :

What are the tire/wheel suspension upgrades you recommend? I have noticed the suspension isn't as nice as the Mazda3 I also test drove (but I got the corolla b/c of better overall reliability)

Are there any mods/swaps to those components that would be easy, and/or not void warranty?

thanks

AFAIK, TRD parts are the only parts that will not void your warranty, provided that you get them installed by your Toyota dealer.

Look for TRD suspension upgrades. Look for 16" XRS Rims and put Ultra High Performance All Season tires on them. Or keep your current rims and put Ultra High Performance All Season tires on them.

Keep in mind though that Ultra High Performance tires are what is on the Mazda3s, and having driven one for a year, I can tell you this: UHPAS tires make the car ride harder, they don't last that many miles, and they aren't great in snow. If you need snow traction or want a tire that will last more than 30k, step down to High Performance All Seasons or Touring tires. Just be aware that High Performance All Seasons and Tourings aren't as good at handling in dry and wet weather as UHPAS tires.

Bikeman982

Tire rack is a collection of tires, rims, wheels and assorted pieces.Basically it is a choice of what is available.

Are you being funny, Bike? Tire Rack is a tire (and more) retailer. Website is www.tirerack.com

That's what I meant by tires and assorted pieces.

What does AFAIK stand for?

• 1,424 posts
What does AFAIK stand for?

AFAIK stands for As Far as I Know. It is just one of those phrases we shortened for use on the internet so we don't have to type out a complete sentence everytime.

Most manufacturers have a racing or performance division that makes compatible and warranty friendly upgrades for their cars. Mazda has MazdaSpeed, Nissan has NISMO, Subaru has SPT, Chrysler has SRT, Ford has SVT, Benz has AMG, BMW has M and Toyota has TRD.

These so called "manufacturer upgrades" are great because they are designed for your car and throughly tested to ensure that they won't do wired things to your car's handling or cause other components to fail. Many times, they use factory mounting points, brake lines, etc, saving you money since no custom fabrication is required.

What kind of warranty would be left on a 01 anyway? A warranty doesn't cover brakes, shocks, clutch, or any other wear parts. TRD parts cost the most and you don't need TRD unless you just like paying a lot.

• 1,424 posts
What kind of warranty would be left on a 01 anyway? A warranty doesn't cover brakes, shocks, clutch, or any other wear parts. TRD parts cost the most and you don't need TRD unless you just like paying a lot.

I'm not advising the original poster anymore, I'm advising goatmonger, and he has a '07 S with 3 years of bumper to bumper warranty left. If you replace components on a car with factory warranty left with non-factory approved parts and any damage is done to the car because of those parts, your warranty won't cover it.

Best bet for upgrading an '07 and keeping you warranty in tact is to use TRD parts.

Also, the warranty does cover brakes, shocks, clutches and other wear parts. If they fail before the factory warranty is up and didn't fail due to normal wear from operation they are covered, it is the one and only caveat to coverage on wear items. I believe Larry Roll got a belt on his car replaced under factory warranty because it failed before the warranty was up and Toyota determined that it was a defect in the belt that made it fail early.

I'm not advising the original poster anymore, I'm advising goatmonger, and he has a '07 S with 3 years of bumper to bumper warranty left. If you replace components on a car with factory warranty left with non-factory approved parts and any damage is done to the car because of those parts, your warranty won't cover it.

Best bet for upgrading an '07 and keeping you warranty in tact is to use TRD parts.

Also, the warranty does cover brakes, shocks, clutches and other wear parts. If they fail before the factory warranty is up and didn't fail due to normal wear from operation they are covered, it is the one and only caveat to coverage on wear items. I believe Larry Roll got a belt on his car replaced under factory warranty because it failed before the warranty was up and Toyota determined that it was a defect in the belt that made it fail early.

I got a belt replaced under warranty too. The Corolla probably has a TSB on it. Clutches and brakes are next to impossible to get replaced under warranty. A bad driver, or someone who abuses the car can wear that stuff out in a week, or even a day. I've personally known people who couldn't get a clutch replaced under warranty. I guess it really comes down to the dealer, but things that are wear items need to be replaced just like the oil. The dealer shouldn't be expected to replace them unless it was in the buyers contract.

The The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects car owners from dealers voiding a warranty simply from applying after market parts. It's not as black and white as that. TRD would be a way to get around that, but the extra cost doesn't make it worth it IMO. If anyone is going to put performance parts on a car that has a warranty, then they "should" be smart about it. To not void a warranty, the owners can pretty much only do basic intake, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, exhaust mods. Power adders can't be added, the engine or ECM can't be changed in any way (at least that the dealer can see). A dealer can void the warranty on the after market part, but not any other part of the car unless they can prove that one part caused another failure.

The Corolla is a budget car. I don't understand why anyone would buy a budget car and then spend lots of extra money for TRD parts. They cost so much more then other high quality parts and the extra cost is the logo. If dealer installation cost are added, then the cost of a corolla could sky rocket.

Bikeman982

You have to be careful in assuming that some parts will be covered under warranty.

Most warranties will cover parts that fail due to a defect in material or construction.

They will not cover normal wear and tear or anything that is damaged or broken due to misuse or abuse.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)