Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla Ce Preventive Maintenance

by tsquic, January 6, 2007

I own a 2000 Corolla CE with a/t (4sp) and it has almost 129,000 mile on it.

I recently had the dealer flush the fuel injection and clean the MAF sensor due to hesitation off idle in the morning. It no longer hesitates:)

I just changed the spark plugs and cleaned the OEM PCV valve. Other than checking the valve clearance (I plan to do this in the Spring) what should I clean/check for the sake of MPG??

Btw, I also have had the a/t flushed on schedule as well as the coolant.

Also, I want to change the fuel filter and pre-filter screen in the gas tank but it is not clear how to remove the access cover to the fuel pump under the rear seat?? There is a small rubber cover the pump wire goes through and that engages in the larger oval access cover to the pump. This oval access cover seems to be made out of thin guage metal and it seems to be welded to the car?? The Toyota factory manual says to remove this access cover and then remove the fuel pump. How do you remove the access cover??

toyota fuel filters are designed to last the life of the vehicle. that being said, if it was my car, i would change it at 90,000 miles. if you replace it with an aftermarket filter, then it needs to be changed every 30k. as far as the screen in the tank, no reason at all to change it, unless you regulary buy dirty fuel. all the fuel pumps we have replaced, never found one that needed to be replaced. we always replace them just because you dont get a warranty unless you do. as for the cover, toyota likes to use a body sealer stuff on all access covers. basically glues it down.

the leading factor in fuel pump failure is fuel filter restrictions. cheaper to replace the fuel filter, then to replace the pump.

Bikeman982

My fuel filter on the fuel pump assembly is under the back seat. It is bolted down.

If yours is sealed, it might have to be pried up and new sealant used when re-installing.

toyota fuel filters are designed to last the life of the vehicle. that being said, if it was my car, i would change it at 90,000 miles. if you replace it with an aftermarket filter, then it needs to be changed every 30k. as far as the screen in the tank, no reason at all to change it, unless you regulary buy dirty fuel. all the fuel pumps we have replaced, never found one that needed to be replaced. we always replace them just because you dont get a warranty unless you do. as for the cover, toyota likes to use a body sealer stuff on all access covers. basically glues it down.the leading factor in fuel pump failure is fuel filter restrictions. cheaper to replace the fuel filter, then to replace the pump.
Thanks!!

I will order a factory Toyota filter tomorrow.

My fuel filter on the fuel pump assembly is under the back seat. It is bolted down. If yours is sealed, it might have to be pried up and new sealant used when re-installing.
I guess it is sealed, I will go buy some 3M body sealer to reinstall it when I change the fuel filter.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)