Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By art, January 5, 2007

I noticed my corolla’s fuel efficiency has dropped to around 23 mpg when it is supposed to be around 29-33 based on the spec. The car also feels weak when I step on the gas and it takes a little too long to accelerate to high speed. Even when I don’t step on the gas, it still feels a little weak. Normally, a car should move slowly on D gear after initial start and without stepping on the gas. However, my corolla moves really slow and sometimes it almost doesn’t move at all and it is on flat ground. I also notice that there is a gasoline smell coming from the exhaust when I start the car initially. So what is the problem with my car? And how can I fix it? Thanks!

Note: the air filter has been replaced 6 months ago, so there should be enough air going into the engine for combustion.

is the check engine light on? does it idle smoothly?

the check engine light was on 3 months ago, but the shop cleaned the oxygen sensors. so now, they are off. the car doesnt shake when it is idle....so i guess that means it idles smoothly... just another note: it has 35000 miles on it right now and it was used mostly in city driving.

Bikeman982

Sounds like something is slightly out of adjustment, such as the idle setting. Could also be parts getting dirty or worn, such as spark plugs or fuel injectors. Could just need some fine-tuning.

the check engine light was on 3 months ago, but the shop cleaned the oxygen sensors. so now, they are off.
Clean the O2 sensors?? default_blink Maybe they cleaned the MAF sensor? I hope they did not clean the O2 sensors, as they cannot be cleaned - some tried with solvents and just ended up with a dead sensor, the material used for the sensing element is very delicate and can be destroyed by most solvents.

Still, if they did clean the MAF sensor - that is a little unusual, as most shops would rather replace it than try and clean it. With the mileage you have on the car - I highly doubt it would be an O2 sensor problem, unless it was a faulty part from the beginning or something damaged it recently.

Did the shop happen to write down the exact CEL code that was present at the time - should be on the work order sheet somewhere? This would greatly narrow down the field of possible causes.

As it stands - I would check the normal maintenance items (filters, obviously loose hoses, bad connections, loose wires, etc.) and then look into two key systems - fuel and ignition. Make sure that the car is getting enough fuel when you accelerate (can be done by t-ing off the fuel inlet line with a SST) and that the injectors are in good, working shape. You can try using a fuel injector cleaner - good ones are made by Red Line, Chevron w/Techron, Lucas, etc. and see if that has any affect. Could also try running one step higher octane to see if the engine responds any differently. Fuel filter in inside the fuel pump assembly - but usually lasts a good, long time - if they find a fuel supply issue, then I'd look into them testing the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, filter, pickup, and all hard lines. Ignition - make sure that you are getting a good spark in each coil pack - harder to check because of their design, but still doable. Pull the plugs and "read" them - see how the deposits nad coloration varys from plug to plug (should not be much difference). If there is a significant difference - that could mean a problem from the clyinder(s) that the plug(s) came from.

From there - work outward and look at the other systems - exhaust, induction, EVAP/emissions, electricals and sensors. You could some simple cleaning of some parts - to see if that improves anything. A poster sniffer - has a recent topic that included some very good DIY links as well as some before/after pics:

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20061#

If that doesn't do the trick - then I'd go after the most common component that can create a significant drop in fuel economy and power - the O2 sensor (most of the time, it is the upstream one - or the one closest to the engine). If not - then you are looking at the other end of the spectrum - as these symptoms can also come from a faulty VVT-i system (just do a search here on the forums). Not a inexpensive project - happens farily rarely, but can happen. As mentioned before - a specific code can help narrow the field - otherwise, it would be just like throwing darts at the wall. Good Luck.

You mentioned loose hoses, bad connections, loose wires, and etc. Should I take my car to a shop and have them do it for me. There are a lot of wires and connections in the car and I dont have the expertise to determine which is which. Anyways, if I take it to a shop or to toyota dealer, what kind of service should I ask for?

You'll probably be charged a diagnostic fee - probably on the order of $80-$90 to start. Just tell the service writer what your car is doing right now (ie. your topic that you posted here) and they will suggest different courses of action. If possible - talk with the technician that worked on your vehicle - as they may have some useful information that useful later (a technician cannot write all the little details on the work order - as most are normal wear and tear items, but can be useful later if the diagnosis drags on).

Most shops that perform the diagnostic takes a general overview of the issues at hand - a good shop should note anything unusual first before suggesting part --- is bad. Almost all will scan the onboard computer for stored trouble codes, as cars from 1996+ are OBD-II compliant and information logged there is extremely useful for a successful diagnosis.

For this type of job - I would take it to a Toyota dealership or reputable foreign car independant garage. As they have the experience and knowledge to quickly eliminate non-issues and get to a possible cause to your problems. Good Luck.

the check engine light was on 3 months ago, but the shop cleaned the oxygen sensors. so now, they are off.

Clean the O2 sensors?? default_blink Maybe they cleaned the MAF sensor? I hope they did not clean the O2 sensors, as they cannot be cleaned - some tried with solvents and just ended up with a dead sensor, the material used for the sensing element is very delicate and can be destroyed by most solvents.

Still, if they did clean the MAF sensor - that is a little unusual, as most shops would rather replace it than try and clean it. With the mileage you have on the car - I highly doubt it would be an O2 sensor problem, unless it was a faulty part from the beginning or something damaged it recently.

******please, if you are unsure of what you are doing, DO NOT ATTEMPT this repair. it can potentialy cost you a lot of money!!

if the MAF sensor has not been cleaned, then i bet that is your problem. it is actually very rare for it to require replacement, the first step to cleaning it is the hardest. you have to find a QUALITY BRAKE CLEANER SPRAY. by quality, i mean one that evaporates fast, and leaves no residue. disconnect the battery, pull the maf sensor out, look through it, you see one or two litle fine wires. if you look closely, you probably notice one (or both) looks fat in the middle. this is bad, causes all kinds of problems, including MIL (Malfunction Indication Lamp). spray the brake clean on it, then use a good q-tip to GENTLY wipe the fat stuff (dirt) off. be careful, if you damage the wire at all, you just cost yourself a bunch of money. also, some sensors have a fat spot in the middle, so again, be VERY CAREFULL!!!! once you have it cleaned, reinstall, hook up the battery and see how it runs.

if it runs good, and your gas mileage is back, pat yourself on the back. you just saved yourself lots of money!

aaron

Bikeman982

You mentioned loose hoses, bad connections, loose wires, and etc. Should I take my car to a shop and have them do it for me. There are a lot of wires and connections in the car and I dont have the expertise to determine which is which. Anyways, if I take it to a shop or to toyota dealer, what kind of service should I ask for?
There may be lots of hoses, wires etc. in your engine, but you can do an initial inspection by just visually looking for anything that is not connected and looks like it should be. It may be a wire, or vacuum hose or fitting somewhere. Just a visual observation can eliminate the most obvious. If you don't find anything, try the cheapest simplest repairs and troubleshooting items first. After that would come looking for someone elses help, such as a repair shop.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)