Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Headlight Mods

by ElvisPresley, December 22, 2006

OK--I put in highbeam bulbs in place of the lowbeams. A low bulb went out, so i needed one anyway. This cheap, 13 dollar mod, is probably as good (as bright) as $500 (55w) HID bulbs! Will probably put some in the fogs too.

Now I'm curious if I can get the fogs to stay on when I switch to highbeams? I'm not trying to blind anyone--I just travel country roads in the dark (60 miles each way). There are lots of deer and almost got killed the last time I hit one. This time of year, I can count at least 20 dead deer on my way to work, and usually have to brake for them at least once.

How about getting highs, lows, and fogs on at once? I know you can pull back the lever, but obviously, you don't want to drive that way.

any links on how to do this?

-Ben

Do the foglights actually make a difference and show animals at the side of the road? If so..I will be adding them ASAP.

I'd say definitely, they do help you see in the ditches.

• 1,424 posts
How about getting highs, lows, and fogs on at once? I know you can pull back the lever, but obviously, you don't want to drive that way.any links on how to do this?

-Ben

What you want to do is illegal. DOT standards and therefore all state standards mandate that a vehicle have no more than 6 primary lights illuminated on the front of the vehicle at any time.

Count with me: Lows, Highs, Fogs and Parking Lamps that are always on when lows or highs are on. That makes 8 lights, all illuminated at the same time.

Toyota and all of the other major automotive manufacturers make it so you can't drive with 8 lights on. When you are driving with the lows and fogs on, switching to high beams will cancel the fogs keeping you legal.

I also would not recommend putting high beam bulbs in the fogs. Most of the cars I've owned had wimpy fog lamp wiring and it couldn't handle the extra power a higher wattage bulb requires.

Ok--how about just highs and fogs?

I"m talking just puting 65 watt lamps in the fogs, rather than 55w. I googled it and lot's of people have done it.

again--I'm just thinking safety here.

BTW, where I live--you see guys with lights all over the place--mounted on "light bars" on their trucks, etc

I'd only have them on when i'm not near another car.

Ben

Wait a minute, when you put your hi's, don't the lo's turn off? I thought it was one or the other.

Anyway, I don't know what the laws here are in Canada, I'm presuming they're pretty useless because I can't tell you the number of ###### holes who keep their fog lights on all the time. I did a quick count the other day of about 30 cars equipped with fog lights coming my way (we're talking brightly-lit busy city streets here), 20 of them had their fog lights on. Absolutely zero consideration for other drivers. Cops should be handing out tickets for this as well as the dickheads who leave their hi's on.

when you pull back on the lever to flash your highs, both the highs and the lows are on--at least on US models.

I personally hate the bright blue bulbs. They hurt my eyes. I especially hate them on SUV's and pickups.

I didn't know that. I thought pulling the stick back was just a temporary version of actually clicking on the hi's. Come to think of it, why aren't both hi's and lo's on together when you turn on the hi's?

Yeah, hate the blues too.

Bikeman982

If your car gets too bright at night when you see a deer, it will stop dead in the road (blinded by the light).

Good opportunity to get some venison.

When you turn on the high beams, the low beams stay on too.

Bikeman982

When you turn on the high beams, the low beams stay on too.
It makes for a brighter light.

Topic List