Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Change At Meineke

by arvind053, September 9, 2004

Wondering if any of you have done an oil change at Meineke ? My 99 Corolla is up for one and these guys are running a special (which includes tire rotation & brake check). Its been 6000 miles + since I did a rotation, so I was wondering if I should take it to these guys.

The only way I'd let a place like Meineke do an oil change on my Corolla is if I provided both the oil (a top quality dino or Mobil 1) and the genuine Toyota-brand filter of the proper type for my engine. Keep in mind, that during the tire rotation and brake check, they will invariably find some fatal flaw in your perfectly good tires and brakes, and hit you up for another "special" on the replacement thereof with substandard parts and usurious labor charges in order to net a high profit margin. If you are unable to do this fairly simple work yourself, then you'd be better off going to an independant mechanic specilizing in imported cars (including Toyotas). He will, if specified, use genuine Toyota parts which he can order wholesale from the local dealer. Moreover, his is more likely to do only that work which is necessary, and do it right the first time. Franchise shops like Meineke are just profit mills that have no moitvation to develop and maintain a good reputation for high quality work at reasonable prices. The time invested in making a few phone calls to local garages could yield great benefits in developing a long term relationship with a good mechanic who depends on repeat business and can't afford to have his reputation compromised by unsatisfied customers.

Great advice!!!!

Keep in mind, that during the tire rotation and brake check, they will invariably find some fatal flaw in your perfectly good tires and brakes, and hit you up for another "special" on the replacement thereof with substandard parts and usurious labor charges in order to net a high profit margin.

A local Pep Boys did that to me once.

They've since gone out of business.

We need a website where we can trash shady mechanics.

Once a local repair shop replaced my clutch. Every after, during the winter it was nearly impossible to shift into first or second. When I took it for a test drive, they said that was normal for a new clutch and it'd go away. It never did.

I trash STOUTS PRO AUTO IN JERSEY SHORE, PA every chance I get.

****s.

It is really hard finding an honest mechanic...or even oil change shop.

It is really hard finding an honest mechanic...or even oil change shop.

Yes, it is. If we all tell others when we get ripped off, the "small town" reputation could affect the otherwise anonymous thieves in major metropolitan areas.

To add some sanity to this thread, I regularly have shops like Meineke, or even Wal Mart change my oil, but I stay with the car and watch. It's not rocket science, it's a simple oil change. I do ask what filters they use, and if they will supply Mobil 1 (which I use). If I am not satisfied with the filter, I bring my own.

I've been doing this for the past 25 years (over 2 million kilometers) with only one bad experience. At a new Wal Mart once, the boy started to add the wrong oil. I saw this, brought it to their attention, the engine was drained, and refilled with Mobil 1.

IF you find the odd unscrupulous operator and he presents you with a list of "must do" items, just ignore it and report him to the Better Business Bureau in your community.

Topic List