Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

7th Generation Corollas

by dnevitable1, December 14, 2006

hi guys wondering how long a corolla last? engine or rust? about how long would it last before I have to get a new car or engine?

They last as long as you want it to last. Money can make anything last.

About rust, my 'rolla is quite rusty for a car that's only 14 years old. My rear bumper--the metal part, not the plastic cover--is half eatened away by rust that it looks like it's about to fall off any day now. The oil pan is totally covered with rust. I also see two very peculiar rust spots under the rear seats. I don't know where my 'rolla spend most of its adolescent life, but I bet it's some where near the coast. Those rust spots don't concern me so much; however, the rust behind front wheel does concern me because this is the spot where I put my jack stand. To have the jack stand punch thru into the car would not be very good for the car, or me if I'm underneath.

so is there anything to fix the rust? I have a 95 corolla and I don't know how far the rust got into my car. I was hoping to drive it for a pretty long time, so I wanna take care of it now before it gets eaten away. for the engines, should I replace it? or should I just run it till it dies?

Our Corolla is a 93' and there is practically no rust on it. Sure little pin spots on the hood from rocks but no where else. Still looks great once it's waxed and polished. It's been well cared for, mostly in the garage in the past (now it's garage place is taken over by a newer car), and the mileage is low (80k miles). Most minor repairs done personally. We have hostile weather; hot/humid summers, winters with a lot of salt. I just try to counter the winters with car washes to remove the salt. Hope it will last another 5-10 years! default_wink

so is there anything to fix the rust? I have a 95 corolla and I don't know how far the rust got into my car. I was hoping to drive it for a pretty long time, so I wanna take care of it now before it gets eaten away. for the engines, should I replace it? or should I just run it till it dies?

Looks like my 'rolla is an exception, not the norm. I guess it was abused and neglected by the previous owner.

The bumper and oil pan will eventually be replaced with ones from the boneyard--no hurry since they are easy bolt-on-bolt-off items. There is a big nasty rust spot above the rear wheel that I'll probably cut off and weld with new sheet metal.

Sorry, don't know much 'bout engines.

Bikeman982

The car will probably last longer than your desire to keep it. You can keep it running for many, many miles.

If the car is rusting out, you can still drive it, providing it is not a crucial part rusting - such as the frame.

The engine can last for a long time and it can be repaired if it fails, also parts can be changed as needed.

If the body is still in pretty good shape and the engine fails to the point where it would be more financially advisable, the engine can be changed.

Most people only keep their cars for a few years, but nowadays (because they can last longer) they are keeping them longer.

The longest I have ever had a vehicle is for 13 years and that seemed longer than anyone I knew.

Normally, only cars being restored or classic cars are kept for a long time.

Take care of your car and keep driving it as long as you want.

Bikeman982

hi guys wondering how long a corolla last? engine or rust? about how long would it last before I have to get a new car or engine?
Whar kind of work does your car need? I work on the 7th generation Corollas.

well I was deciding to drive this 95 corolla for 10 or so more years before I actually get a new car. I was just wondering if corolla engines are known to last, so i guess they do? was wondering if there is any freq problems on the 7th gen of corollas. if so, is there any that I could prevent or be aware of in teh future?

Bikeman982

well I was deciding to drive this 95 corolla for 10 or so more years before I actually get a new car. I was just wondering if corolla engines are known to last, so i guess they do? was wondering if there is any freq problems on the 7th gen of corollas. if so, is there any that I could prevent or be aware of in teh future?
They have a propensity to use oil (at the rate of 1 quart every 1000-1500 miles) and they will seize up if they run out.

Check your oil frequently to keep it from getting too low.

Also the timing belt has to be changed (preventive maintenance) about every 60, 000 miles.

The car will last many miles, and it is inevitable that some things will break, or require replacement.

There is an owner's manual that you should read and follow.

It is recommended that you purchase and read a repair manual (such as Haynes or Chiltons) for your car.

I like to encourage others to do their own routine maintenance and save themselves some money.

Read some of the topics posted in this forum/website that pertain to your model - you will learn a lot.

Hope that helps.

see i race my corolla all the time and it has seen the last 15Kmiles in high rpms and the engine just wont go, has 160K miles and it runs fine, no real problems i think the trannys are weak but thats because i beat on mine, i plan on trying to find another 4afe to rebuild but i mean your car could really last you forever, i plan on tearing an engine apart and putting new bearings and such and then putting it back together

My '97 has very little rust, only where accidented, and even there very little penetration. And I live in the Great White North.

About 250k clicks, which I guess is in the ballpark of 150k miles. Engine going strong. Starter crapped out on me last year. Besides that only brakes and minor stuff like lights, fuses, etc. It's a tank.

Bikeman982

see i race my corolla all the time and it has seen the last 15Kmiles in high rpms and the engine just wont go, has 160K miles and it runs fine, no real problems i think the trannys are weak but thats because i beat on mine, i plan on trying to find another 4afe to rebuild but i mean your car could really last you forever, i plan on tearing an engine apart and putting new bearings and such and then putting it back together

I have one in my yard that I dissassembled. It is a 4A-FE engine from my 1993 Corolla that I have in my garage.

I have taken every nut and bolt off it and it could be used for rebuilding. Let me know if you want it.

I have one in my yard that I dissassembled. It is a 4A-FE engine from my 1993 Corolla that I have in my garage.

I have taken every nut and bolt off it and it could be used for rebuilding. Let me know if you want it.

Bikeman, do you have the tail lights? My driver-side one is busted; looking for a deal.

Bikeman982

Bikeman, do you have the tail lights? My driver-side one is busted; looking for a deal.

I have taillights for a 1993-1995. The 1996 and 1997 are a little different, although they can be interchanged.

Oh, yeah, you're right. Early gen 7's have the yellow signal lens; later ones like mine, the white.

Do you have a spare door RHS rear door, in dark green by any chance?

hmm pm me bikeman let me know a ballpark on how much you want for some stuff,

Ditto for me Bikeman.

I just bought the tail light from this guy on eBay.

Still looking for a door, and this other small piece, it's a rectangular black plastic piece that covers the bolt on the windshield wiper. Don't ask me how I lost that piece, but it's starting to drive me crazy seeing that exposed bolt every day.

Bikeman982

Oh, yeah, you're right. Early gen 7's have the yellow signal lens; later ones like mine, the white.

I don't have any body parts, just lights. I have some engines and engine parts.

Covers for the wipers are plentiful at the local junkyard.

How do I PM you?

How do I PM you?

No sweat Bikeman, ignore my pm then. Thanks for the tip for the wipers, fyi I just got the tail light on eBay, costing me $60 USD shipped, which is $70 CAD, salvage yards here wanted $100 + 15% tip for the gov't.

Still pls let me know (PM or otherwise) about the serpentine belt and clock.

Bikeman982

How do I PM you?

No sweat Bikeman, ignore my pm then. Thanks for the tip for the wipers, fyi I just got the tail light on eBay, costing me $60 USD shipped, which is $70 CAD, salvage yards here wanted $100 + 15% tip for the gov't.

Still pls let me know (PM or otherwise) about the serpentine belt and clock.

I figured out how to PM and have done it.

yeha I wanted to replace my engine with a 1.8 or just another 1.6, just was worried the engine might crap out on me, I guess i'll drive it until it dies?

Bikeman982

yeha I wanted to replace my engine with a 1.8 or just another 1.6, just was worried the engine might crap out on me, I guess i'll drive it until it dies?
I replaced my 1.6L engine with the 1.8L and found that it takes a different transmission, motor mount, wiring harness, ECU, distributor and the engine will fit.

I found that the connections for the harness would all require change to work for the ECU and that was too much for me.

I took the engine out and put in another 1.6L

So far everything looks good, but it is not getting spark to the plugs, so I am still trying to troubleshoot that.

The CEL does not work, so I can't use it to find any fault code.

I have checked the distributor and changed it several times, as well as the harness and ECU.

It is still a mystery to me.

I would have thought swapping out the 1.6 for a 1.6 would not require much change since its the same engine

Bikeman982

I would have thought swapping out the 1.6 for a 1.6 would not require much change since its the same engine
It did not require any change (except that the previous engine was seized).

I did buy a new battery, radiator, some hoses, etc. that was damaged due to extreme heat.

I would have thought (like you) that it would start right up after the change, but alas - still scratching my head.

I had to purchase a short Phillips screwdriver to take out the instrument panel.

The longer ones do not fit with the steering column in the way.

My intent is to find out if the CEL bulb is bad (burnt out), since it never comes on.

After that I will try to get a fault code by watching the light (as described in a repair manual).

That might give me a clue as to where to go for a fix.

If that does not work I plan on getting a OBD scanner.

Any comments?

Topic List