Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Dual Exhaust

by Brendon, December 14, 2006

I was considering installing a dual exhaust system (not dual outlit muffler, but a system with two separate mufflers). I drive a 98' Corolla LE. I was checking underneath my car. Like most Corollas, just exhaust system is set up on the right side (looking at it from behind) and there is a spot on the left side passed the fuel tank for a 2nd muffler. Did Toyota leave this spot on purpose if someone wanted to install a dual system? I was wondering if anyone has ever installed this? Does it provide any greater power/fuel efficiency increase? How much would it cost? Is it difficult to install? I think that's all the questions I can think of. I'm personally doing it more for asthetic value right now. I've always loved the setup of dual mufflers with dual outlits on each muffler, like seen on the BMW M series. I suppose if I ever do an engine swap in the future, it could serve a more practical purpose.

BMW M5 Rear view

The exhaust system on it is just looks so intimidating looking, like you don't even want to try racing that. I love it!

Toyota left a spot there for your fueling/emissions system (EVAP, fuel filler tube, gas tank vent, etc.) Keep in mind that the exhaust will still run through the middle of the car - it just breaks to the right before the rear subframe. Only way to due it realistically is a y-pipe from behind the resonator and split off to two exhausts.

Unless you have a motor that requires dual exhausts - you will see no benefit from this dual setup. Be much easier and get better gains with a cat back, mandrel bent, single exhaust than a dual exhaust. Any shop can due it - costs would be about twice what a single system will be cost you, due to the extra fabrication involved.

why go dual? what is th point? i would really like to hear it?

Bikeman982

I think his point is to change it for aesthetic reasons - the look.

I understand about the appeal and the symmetry, but it is not worth the expense (IMHO).

I saw a duel exhaust setup on a XRS and it looked stupid and sounded worse. It's your car and you can do what you want with it, but from a outside point of view... Some people will laugh at you. As long as you are okay with that.

4cyl and even some performance 6cyl cars only have one exhaust pipe. Single exhaust doesn't = bad. Even the TT Supra only had a single exhaust. A 4cyl should only have a single exhaust pipe on it. A lot of duel exhaust are nothing more then a Y split anyway. Only a few cars can get away with it and only a 6-8cyl sounds good with it.

Bikeman982

I saw a duel exhaust setup on a XRS and it looked stupid and sounded worse. It's your car and you can do what you want with it, but from a outside point of view... Some people will laugh at you. As long as you are okay with that.

4cyl and even some performance 6cyl cars only have one exhaust pipe. Single exhaust doesn't = bad. Even the TT Supra only had a single exhaust. A 4cyl should only have a single exhaust pipe on it. A lot of duel exhaust are nothing more then a Y split anyway. Only a few cars can get away with it and only a 6-8cyl sounds good with it.

Once again it would be a case of personal taste and preference.

Not everyone would want it, but some would.

Bikeman is right, it is alot more about the symmetry, which is why I was considering just using that space to bolt on a "dummy" muffler if changing the pipping would be too costly and unneccesary. Mufflers themselves are relatively cheap, even for a good looking one on eBay ($30-50). The only problem is that in the cold New England winter here, it would like an obvious fake since there would be no smoke coming out of the left muffler.

And why would you put all that writing and logo on your Geo Prizm or put those black rims on? What is the point, I would really like to hear it? As for people laughing at my car, that's their problem gvr4ever. Some people would laugh at 954afe's car. I laugh at it. Does that mean I would go into your topics and start ridiculing your choices? I started this topic just to get an understanding of the cost and difficulty of installing a dual system. If I wanted your opinion, I would have asked. I'm sorry to have to be so harsh about this, but fishexpo's response was about the only neccessary one here.

I'm not trying to "pimp" my car. If I wanted that, I would attach an outrageously oversized spoiler and a 4" muffler that made a truck sound. I was looking more towards the Lexus look with the stylish dual, chrome exhaust, something like that. The disgusting, dirty-looking black muffler I have right now; now that is what's laughable. I would probably not go for the BMW M5 dual outlit, but just the symmetrical dual, single outlit 2.5" mufflers.

Bikeman is right, it is alot more about the symmetry, which is why I was considering just using that space to bolt on a "dummy" muffler if changing the pipping would be too costly and unneccesary. Mufflers themselves are relatively cheap, even for a good looking one on eBay ($30-50). The only problem is that in the cold New England winter here, it would like an obvious fake since there would be no smoke coming out of the left muffler.

And why would you put all that writing and logo on your Geo Prizm or put those black rims on? What is the point, I would really like to hear it? As for people laughing at my car, that's their problem gvr4ever. Some people would laugh at 954afe's car. I laugh at it. Does that mean I would go into your topics and start ridiculing your choices? I started this topic just to get an understanding of the cost and difficulty of installing a dual system. If I wanted your opinion, I would have asked. I'm sorry to have to be so harsh about this, but fishexpo's response was about the only neccessary one here.

I'm not trying to "pimp" my car. If I wanted that, I would attach an outrageously oversized spoiler and a 4" muffler that made a truck sound. I was looking more towards the Lexus look with the stylish dual, chrome exhaust, something like that. The disgusting, dirty-looking black muffler I have right now; now that is what's laughable. I would probably not go for the BMW M5 dual outlit, but just the symmetrical dual, single outlit 2.5" mufflers.

I also followed with, it's your car, you can do what you want. I don't usually suggest what people don't do to their car. I just can't stress enough how silly and pointless duel exhaust pipes would be on a Corolla. If you want something that looks aggressive then you might want to look in to a muffler with two tips on it. If you really do a custom working duel exhaust, not only would a muffler $hop bend you over for the work, it would probably slow your car down big time on the low end.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdis...main&id=386 Dynomax also makes some good mufflers too.

ya theres not point in a dual exhuast especialy if it doesnt even flow, waste of money space time and weight, ya laugh at my car but i have stickers and soon to have more stickers cause they are called sponsors they pay me to have that stuff on my car, it serves a purpose. you are better off going single exhuast because on a small 4 banger like that you get a better flow. dont waste time and money with something that serves no purposes

Bikeman982

Everyone is tending to be negative and advising against the dual exhaust.

I think symmetry is better looking and the appearance would be better.

I believe you are correct - installing one for decoration would be a waste - one that actually has exhaust coming out would be better.

You may not gain any performance or gas mileage improvement, but it would look good.

The extra expense is your choice.

IMHO, it would be a expensive and tacky look for the Corolla. Get a nice setup with a 3' - 3.5' design.

Bikeman982

IMHO, it would be a expensive and tacky look for the Corolla. Get a nice setup with a 3' - 3.5' design.
That's an acceptable opinion, but people are free to have their own. If he wants to spend the money on his car to change his exhaust to have two pipes, that is his option.

That would be a really large exhaust for a 1.8l. I have a 2.5" on my turbo car. Turbo back with a 2.5" high flow cat, but 3" would be overkill and 3.5" would probably make the car run like crap. On 2.0 turbo Mitsubishi's a upgraded exhaust is a 2.5" or a 3". 2.5" is good enough for 12 second 1/4 runs and 3" is the largest you can buy. A few people run custom made 3.5" exhaust, but they are running 700HP+. Pretty much drag race only cars.

Magnaflows catback exhaust is 2.25" and I wouldn't run anything larger then that on a NA 1.8L engine.

Bikeman982

That would be a really large exhaust for a 1.8l. I have a 2.5" on my turbo car. Turbo back with a 2.5" high flow cat, but 3" would be overkill and 3.5" would probably make the car run like crap. On 2.0 turbo Mitsubishi's a upgraded exhaust is a 2.5" or a 3". 2.5" is good enough for 12 second 1/4 runs and 3" is the largest you can buy. A few people run custom made 3.5" exhaust, but they are running 700HP+. Pretty much drag race only cars.

Magnaflows catback exhaust is 2.25" and I wouldn't run anything larger then that on a NA 1.8L engine.

I agree. I think 3"-3.5" would be too large.

Even the stock exhaust is not that large.

for his na car i would go 2 1/4, im running 2 1/2 and prolly will go 2 3/4 when i go turbo

I have done it.

I have put duallys on corollas, civics & crxs, sentras, and a bunch of other small cars.

(Damn, I knew I should have taken pics of them...)

Sorry, but this may get to be long...

To answer your questions:

No, Toyota did not leave the space open for an exhaust (its actually not big enough for a factory set up anyways).

It provides NOTHING other than looks. Dep on how it is made, it may take away from the performance.

If you do not have access to welding equipment and a pipe bender, do not do it by yourself. I used to do this for a living on the weekends, and depending on how well you want it to work, it took me upto 10hrs to do (if its just a hack job, i could put it out in a couple hrs.).

BIggest pain of a dual system is getting the 2 sides to line up... I usually spent 30-60min adjusting the height and amnt of overhang.

Unless you have some sort of rear skirt (aftermarket bumper), I do not recommend it. There is very little space to work. Therefore, the car behind you can see all of the pipes bent around.

The OE dual systems look "cool" b/c all you see are teh tips coming out. When you can see all the pipes, its not very clean.

As for cost, a hack job that i would do in a few hrs, was a couple hundred + parts.

A well designed one, I think the nicest one I did was about 800 + parts.

Whats teh difference?

hack job - I cut off the old muffler, patched in a Y-joint. One side I welded in the new muffler, and plumbed the pipe to the other. Result, the side with the shorter pipe gets more carbon deposits than the other. Also when the car is cold, smoke comes out the side witht he shorter pipe, and very little comes out the other.

work of art - spent hours cutting, bending, and re-cutting, rebending pipes that that both sides would have a balanced amount of exhaust coming out.

BTW,

If you put on bigger pipes on a corolla (i.e. 2" or more), you will prob lose torque.

I dont understand all of the physics behind it, but on a N/A car, you need some back pressure for maximum efficiency of the engine.

So, you may increase your HP by switching to a larger diameter system, but unless it is designed specifically for your car, you will most likely lose torque.

Another choice may be to have it come out in front of the rear tire... not sure if there is enough space for taht either...

good luck.

tdk.

Topic List