Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Replacing Bulbs...

by KabawL, September 8, 2004

Okay, I was given a pair of blue bulbs. They werent package or anything like that. On the bulb, it says...

Option H4 12v 85/80W

Will these fit my Toyota Corolla 2004?

and...

Is it easy to replace?

Personally, I don't know what type of bulbs are used in '03 and later Corollas. As far as ease of replacement, from my own examination of that issue under the hood of my '03 last Sunday while doing my routine oil/trans fluid checks, I'd say that the easiest way to change a headlight bulb would to remove the whole headlight assembly. Doesn't appear to be too difficult, they seem to be held in by two hex-head bolts, looked like 10 mm. or so. Since my Corolla is now two years old, I think I'll get a genuine Toyota replacement headlight bulb and keep it up my sleeve for when the inevitable happens. My personal experience with headlight bulbs is that they wait for the coldest, most miserable day of the year to go "poof" on you!

Have seen many headlamp Assemblies for sale with snapped off plastic tabs. Looks like removal of the assembly might be best avoided since the parts are over $200 at dealers.

Might be best to remove bulb socket from behind.

Okay, I was given a pair of blue bulbs. They werent package or anything like that. On the bulb, it says...

Option H4 12v 85/80W

and...

Is it easy to replace?

H4 bulb is for European makes (Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, etc)

You would have to do extensive modifications to make it work correctly - connector issue - might need a relay (some don't) and heat issue - the HB3 (high beams) bulbs in the Corolla are rated at 65W - running 85W bulbs would cause problems.

Option H4 12v 85/80W

and...

Is it easy to replace?

H4 bulb is for European makes (Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, etc)

You would have to do extensive modifications to make it work correctly - connector issue - might need a relay (some don't) and heat issue - the HB3 (high beams) bulbs in the Corolla are rated at 65W - running 85W bulbs would cause problems.

Thanks for the feedback guys and I decided on giving back or to some else. I planned on buying some blue lights to see how they'll look on my car, but I gotta get the right kind.

So what kind exactly would I be looking for?

I went to Walmart and they had a nice guide which showed what fits the 03+ corollas, and it was a big selection with a number of different model numbers.

Then, you take those model numbers and find the same 'fit' in the style you want.

H4 would fit my motorcycle (and many other bikes), but not a Corolla. I believe H4 is also designated 9003, in case you're keeping score at home.

That said, the Sylvania Silverstar is an excellent upgrade bulb that puts out more useful light and is much whiter than most halogens. It also runs standard wattage, so you're not going to melt the wiring.

The Silverstars don't have that silly and annoying blue/pink/green tinge you see on a lot of those "fake HID" bulbs used by the ricers.

There is usually a color temperature scale (Kelvin) that is set for each bulb - example, some super white lights or hyper lights (slight blueish tint) are 4000K to 5000K temperature. Halogens usually run around the 3000K temperature.

Some bulbs advertise 7500K or 9000K temperature - blue-purple light. Looks cool up close - but try driving around at night or low light, their average output is much less than the standard halogen bulbs.

Good thing is that many bulb manufacturers are making these HID-like replacement bulbs for our cars - just look in the owner's manual for bulb specs. Don't get anything stronger than 65W - any more and you risk damage to the lamp housings - though some people have run 80W or higher and haven't had any problems. But I wouldn't take that kind of risk.

Good Luck.

Topic List