Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Bolt On Muffler? Helpp...

by Robbie D December 13, 2006

I need sum help

i want to get a bolt on muffler that does not sound ricey..

i want a nice smoothe sound..the kind that everyone likes..u kno?

but i have no idea where to pick one up..or look at them..i also want to be able to hear it before i buy it..

btw .. it would be for my 2006 corolla LE..

can sumone please supply me with a link..

or

some advice on where to get one..maybe sum reviews..anythin will help..

THANKKSS

TRD is the only true bolt on that I know of. Magnaflow makes a catback system that doesn't cost too much more then just a TRD bolt on muffler.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

Another option might be a used XRS muffler. I almost bought a used one, but I couldn't confirm that the muffler flowed more or not. I would think it would since the XRS engine probably needs a better flowing exhaust, but I just couldn't find enough proof to buy one.

You could also just go to a exhaust shop and have a better muffler installed. Just stay away from a straight through muffler design and it shouldn't sound ricey. Keep in mind that any small NA engine is going to put out that signature small engine exhaust note.

I personally wouldn't get the magnaflow system. The price is decent, but it doesn't have a resonator and it has a straight through muffler, it might be too loud. The size should be decent at 2.25" You should be able to get a power gain without any low end loss.

I don't know for a fact cause I don't know anyone who has a really loud ricer exhaust, but I think the really loud ones don't have cats installed. If you just do a cat back and leave the factory cats in place, then it shouldn't get too loud. It's hard to know for sure though.

If you added a resonator to that magnaflow cat back exhaust, it would probably sound pretty decent.

TRD is the only true bolt on that I know of. Magnaflow makes a catback system that doesn't cost too much more then just a TRD bolt on muffler.

Another option might be a used XRS muffler. I almost bought a used one, but I couldn't confirm that the muffler flowed more or not. I would think it would since the XRS engine probably needs a better flowing exhaust, but I just couldn't find enough proof to buy one.

You could also just go to a exhaust shop and have a better muffler installed. Just stay away from a straight through muffler design and it shouldn't sound ricey. Keep in mind that any small NA engine is going to put out that signature small engine exhaust note.

I personally wouldn't get the magnaflow system. The price is decent, but it doesn't have a resonator and it has a straight through muffler, it might be too loud. The size should be decent at 2.25" You should be able to get a power gain without any low end loss.

I don't know for a fact cause I don't know anyone who has a really loud ricer exhaust, but I think the really loud ones don't have cats installed. If you just do a cat back and leave the factory cats in place, then it shouldn't get too loud. It's hard to know for sure though.

If you added a resonator to that magnaflow cat back exhaust, it would probably sound pretty decent.

Doh, that kit does include a resonator. In that case, it would probably sound pretty decent and for a SS exhaust, that is actually a really good price.. I think the TRD bolt on muffler is around $350. If you want to ugrade, I would just get the catback. Magnaflow makes some quality stuff. I've had a magnaflow muffler on one of my cars for years now and it has not gotten any louder.

Why does it have to be bolt on?

A decent muffler shop should be able to make you a one-off cat-back system for 100 + parts.

good luck

tdk.

Bikeman982

Why does it have to be bolt on?A decent muffler shop should be able to make you a one-off cat-back system for 100 + parts.

good luck

tdk.

Maybe they want to put one on themselves and a bolt on would be "do-able" by themselves?

I searched on ebay for my bolt on and I'm pretty impressed. It was around 150 buck with shipping and super easy to install. Since I have a resinator on my car it doesn't have that ricey sound, it's more like a nice bassy sound.

Got a sound clip?

Bikeman982

Does the exhaust for a 2006 sound bad??

Does the exhaust for a 2006 sound bad??

With just a TRD drop in air filter, our 05 sounds kind of bad. It sounds like a fart or something. A lower tone muffler would sound better.

Bikeman982

Is there a way to alter the muffler you have, rather than trying to change it?

Is there a way to alter the muffler you have, rather than trying to change it?

Not really. I'd get a TRD bolt on if it didn't cost so much. I wish Magnaflow made just a bolt on muffler because I would be afraid of the full cat back impacting fuel economy and low end torque.

I almost bought a XRS muffler real cheap, but I couldn't confirm that it was less restrictive. It probably is, but I don't know. I might buy one just to if I can find another cheap one. I also want the XRS strut tower brace cheap. I should hit a junk yard or something.

Bikeman982

I think any exhaust that is more restricting (even though it sounds better) may not give you any better performance.

I think any exhaust that is more restricting (even though it sounds better) may not give you any better performance.

Exhaust work does give a gain. Probably very little on a Corolla, but they do work. The TRD bolt on muffler gives like 1-2 HP.

A cat back would give a tad more, but possible at a low end loss.

I used to work at a shop that did a lot of custom exhaust work. Did a few nice bolt-ons (SS, all the bolts lined up, sounded sweet!), did a few crappy bolt-ons (nothing lined up, exhaust tips were crooked, etc), but mainly one-offs.

OE exhaust is designed with best performance/economy in mind. If you are going to replace the exhaust for performance reasons, best thing is to get something aftermarket. If you really want performance, get a full bolt on system designed for your car. You will get a gain.

However, can you really feel the difference? Prob not.

I have driven a lot of different vehicles. a 1-2hp gain is not something you will notice. on a car, even a 10hp gain is not something you really "feel" (on a bike, you notice smaller increases much easier).

With that said, if you have a shop build you one, dep on the person working on it, you may get an awsome sounding system with good performance, or you may get a different sounding system (vs. oe) with no performance gains.

All depends on whether the person knows what he is doing.

Although I did a lot of custom work, and it looked awsome, I doublt the work I did gave any real performance gain. might have freed up as much as 20hp (dep on the vehicle and system), but I am sure i also killed the torque.

Most of the customers I had felt that their car had become faster. However, I think it was mostly psychological. Its louder, therefore, it must be faster.

The very few that did dyno before and after did not show overall better performance (ie lower torque).

Biggest thing I noticed was how HEAVY the OE exhaust is. The can alone weighed as much as the entire replacement system.

Part of the increased peppiness may have just been a weight issue? (naw... prob not enough to feel...)

hmmm... turning into a long rant... (sorry).

My first piece of advise would be not to mess with the exhaust yet. Its only a year old. I assume you still have the factory warranty.

Dep on what kind of work you do on the vehicle, it may void the warranty. You have a nice car. Wait until its no longer under warrantly before putting it under the knife.

If you absolutely feel that you need to change it, make sure you get one that gurantees you that it will not effect warranty. This should limit your choices.

btw robbie,

it is spelled SOME.

good luck

tdk.

Dan_H

Don't rule out the "turbo" style mufflers (low restriction "S" shaped flow). $20-50 for a weld-in type, depending on quality. They allow a reasonable amount of low RPM sound through, but do not buzz like the straight through ricer mufflers at high RPM. I put one on a 99VE a few months ago-- mostly for reduced weight and a desire to have a little bit of engine feedback. The sound is noticeable, but far from loud.

Bikeman982

I think he needed sum help. He wants the total of everyones help.

Put it all together and you get "sum" help.

I agree - don't mess with a 2006, especially if it is under warranty and is also running normal.

This is the only bolt on exhaust I have seen.

I would actually get it if I knew that I wouldn't loose bottom end power.

As far as your warranty goes, the magnusnas warranty act protects you against that. Just don't touch your cat, or anything emissions related and you'll be fine.

Bikeman982

As far as your warranty goes, the magnusnas warranty act protects you against that. Just don't touch your cat, or anything emissions related and you'll be fine.

It looks good and the description claims there will be no performance lost.

It looks good and the description claims there will be no performance lost.

Well, they claim gains. I don't doubt that gains are true. It's just usually on a NA small engine, a upgraded exhaust usually has a little low RPM loss. I guess we will just have to figure out how long we are going to own the car first. I want to trade up to a Subie Impreza RS, but for the life of me, I can't find any good data on quality.

Topic List