Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Brake Lights

Guest texasteacher5555

I have an 03 CE and the brake lights don't work. It's not the bulbs and I have checked the fuses and they all look good. My rear lights (and headlights) come on and my signals work. The upper brake light works when I use the brakes, but the main brake lights do not illuminate.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Check the switch located on the break pedal. It is located under the dash at the top of the lever that the pedal is mounted to. It might be disconnected or just need to be cleaned.

I would think that it would all brake lights would be connected to that switch (including the third light), but I am not sure.

Bikeman982

I have an 03 CE and the brake lights don't work. It's not the bulbs and I have checked the fuses and they all look good. My rear lights (and headlights) come on and my signals work. The upper brake light works when I use the brakes, but the main brake lights do not illuminate. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Not too much in the brake light system.

Check bulbs again, fuses again, contacts (especially where the bulbs go in), the wiring and the switch on the brake pedal arm.

If the high mount works, the pedal switch should be ruled out.

Possibly the wiring harness to the two lights in the trunk is loose, unplugged, or open circuited.

You need a bulb test light (or voltmeter) and someone to press the brake pedal.

Hopefully, somebody can tell you the color of the wire that should have power when the brake is pressed.

Bikeman982

Possibly the wiring harness to the two lights in the trunk is loose, unplugged, or open circuited.

Hopefully, somebody can tell you the color of the wire that should have power when the brake is pressed.

You can find that from the wiring schematic.

Guest texasteacher5555

Thanks everyone. I will have a chance to try these things this evening. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bikeman982

Thanks everyone. I will have a chance to try these things this evening. I'll let you know how it works out.

It's the first I have heard of this particular problem and I would like to know what was causing it.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)