Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Satellite Radio?

by the99contour, September 7, 2004

• 1,424 posts

I just want to know who has Satellite radio in their 2003+ Corolla with the factory radio. I will be leasing a 2005 Corolla, and want to add Satellite radio, but can't change out the factory audio.

My question for you who fit the above requirement is: How did you get Satellite Radio in your car, and if you used a portable kit like a Delphi Roady, where did you put the display/controller and antenna? I need to know how much modification is required to complete this setup, because I obviously can't drill holes etc.

Also, any thoughts about XM vs. Sirius, I'm leaning towards Sirius even though it costs more. Any thoughts?

I put a Delphi in my 03 Corolla last year for a 4500 mile trip. I chose the XM because of the smaller magnetic ant. It was easy to install. I put the ant behind stock ant and run wire under rear window rubber and into trunk to center console then plugged unit into outlet in console. I could not find a place to mount unit on dash anywhere so left it in console and just take it out for station changes.It was great on trip and only lost signal when going through tunnels in Colorado. I discontinued the service a couple of months after returning from trip ,because I found myself listening to local stations most of the time. I think it would be great if you are going to be on road a lot.

I have not installed satellite radio in my Corolla, and don't drive it enough to get any benefit from it. What I'd really be interested in is a portable satellite radio setup I could use in my Paratransit bus which I drive for a living! I live here in Radio Free Delaware; the local radio station (WDOV) puts out about 300 watts during the day and around 5 at night, so as soon as you're out of town, you're in the noise floor. I can literally hear the higher-powered stations in Philadelphia and Baltimore BETTER when I'm more than 5 miles from our local radio station's transmitting tower. BTW -- do these satellite radio providers give you the full line-up of Conservative Talk Radio, such as Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, etc., or is their programming geared strictly to the lefty-liberal Kool-Aid drinking NPR types? When I checked out the XM-Radio web site a while back, that appeared to be the case, maybe they've changed out of economic necessity. Conservatives ARE the mainstream; Liberals are not! I don't listen to the radio for music -- I bring my own.

BTW -- why are you leasing your Corolla? Why not just buy the car? Leasing is OK only if you use the car for business purposes and can write off 100% of the leasing costs. If that's the case, it's OK, but otherwise, leasing is a good deal for the Dealer and Toyota, but not for you!

• 200 posts

You can get pretty much anything you want on satellite radio. I just don't feel like paying the fees for it. I'd rather have gas money instead of a totally sick sound system any day.

no satellite radio in OZ....i'd rather have howard stern instead! default_biggrin

Topic List