Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Shift Lever Console Light Replacement?

Guest cahill

I own a 2001 Corolla and recently, the light that lights up the transmission shift lever console has gone out. I have researched the Owners Manual and cannot find any information on the replacement bulb. Neither can I find a or a procedure on how to replace the light. The truth of the matter is that I have removed the covers to the console and have been unable to find a light at all. I would sincerely appreciate any information regarding the process and part required to repair this situation.

Thanks.

Bikeman982

I own a 2001 Corolla and recently, the light that lights up the transmission shift lever console has gone out. I have researched the Owners Manual and cannot find any information on the replacement bulb. Neither can I find a or a procedure on how to replace the light. The truth of the matter is that I have removed the covers to the console and have been unable to find a light at all. I would sincerely appreciate any information regarding the process and part required to repair this situation.Thanks.
We have had this topic covered before. I am not sure if the 2001 is the same, but do a search and read the forum remedies.

I own a 2001 Corolla and recently, the light that lights up the transmission shift lever console has gone out. I have researched the Owners Manual and cannot find any information on the replacement bulb. Neither can I find a or a procedure on how to replace the light. The truth of the matter is that I have removed the covers to the console and have been unable to find a light at all. I would sincerely appreciate any information regarding the process and part required to repair this situation.Thanks.

Same thing happened to my '97. Please post again if you find out something, cahill. (as I promise to).

Also, the backlight for the heater controls doesn't light up sometimes. A Fonzie punch and it comes on every time. Must be a short.

I own a 2001 Corolla and recently, the light that lights up the transmission shift lever console has gone out. I have researched the Owners Manual and cannot find any information on the replacement bulb. Neither can I find a or a procedure on how to replace the light. The truth of the matter is that I have removed the covers to the console and have been unable to find a light at all. I would sincerely appreciate any information regarding the process and part required to repair this situation.Thanks

Found this in another post, hope it helps!!!

You need:

#2 Philips screwdriver

12mm (IIRC, could be 14mm) socket, ratchet, and an 6" extension

A long needle nose pliers

1. Open center console box, empty it out, take out the "carpet" at bottom, and remove two bolts with your socket.

2. Send your front seats all the way back so you can get at the two screws, one at each side, holding the rear console to the front part. Remove these screws.

3. Pull your hand brake all the way up. Two clips hold the rear center console to the front part. While tilting the rear end of the rear center console, work them loose and pull them apart. Once it comes apart, maneuver the rear console off the e-brake lever. This is why you need your e-brake all the way up.

4. This won't be easy. You can actually reach the bulb in question from here using a plier or your finger. Grip the bulb holder and twist it CCW from bottom and pull down.

5. Replace with a #74 incandescent or green LED bulb (so you can forget about changing this bulb ever again ), stick it back in the hole and turn it the other way.

(Optional) Vacuum the now-exposed area.

6. Slip the rear center console over the hand brake. Position it and mate it to the front part.

7. Reinstall the screws and bolts. Put back the "carpet" and all the junk that came out of the console box.

Hope this helps, and do tell us if your bulb is blown.

I own a 2001 Corolla and recently, the light that lights up the transmission shift lever console has gone out. I have researched the Owners Manual and cannot find any information on the replacement bulb. Neither can I find a or a procedure on how to replace the light. The truth of the matter is that I have removed the covers to the console and have been unable to find a light at all. I would sincerely appreciate any information regarding the process and part required to repair this situation.Thanks

You need:

#2 Philips screwdriver

12mm (IIRC, could be 14mm) socket, ratchet, and an 6" extension

A long needle nose pliers

1. Open center console box, empty it out, take out the "carpet" at bottom, and remove two bolts with your socket.

2. Send your front seats all the way back so you can get at the two screws, one at each side, holding the rear console to the front part. Remove these screws.

3. Pull your hand brake all the way up. Two clips hold the rear center console to the front part. While tilting the rear end of the rear center console, work them loose and pull them apart. Once it comes apart, maneuver the rear console off the e-brake lever. This is why you need your e-brake all the way up.

4. This won't be easy. You can actually reach the bulb in question from here using a plier or your finger. Grip the bulb holder and twist it CCW from bottom and pull down.

5. Replace with a #74 incandescent or green LED bulb (so you can forget about changing this bulb ever again ), stick it back in the hole and turn it the other way.

(Optional) Vacuum the now-exposed area.

6. Slip the rear center console over the hand brake. Position it and mate it to the front part.

7. Reinstall the screws and bolts. Put back the "carpet" and all the junk that came out of the console box.

Awesome! I'll try it this weekend and post an update. Thanks Tim!

Hey, that's my post! default_biggrin

Good luck cahill. default_smile

Topic List