Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla 2000 Manual Transmission Fluid

by SIRNEMO, November 30, 2006

After much searching, I was confuse with drain and fill plug on the year 2000 corolla. Some say it's a 24mm and some say it's a 22mm. Could anyone clarify? Is it a regular socket or allen wrench type? Thanks.

not sure on the 2000, why not buy look at it make a guess and go buy a socket from autozone if it doesnt fit take it back and exchange it

I'm pretty sure it is a regular 6-sided hex drain bolt - the ones that you put a socket on, but I don't remember the size of it off hand. Like 954afe mentioned - probably wouldn't hurt to go buy some sockets - can't have enough tools default_biggrin

I can double check when I get back home - have a 5-speed and a 6-speed that I'm rebuild for a friend and one for myself sitting on my workbench.

Agree with the guys,

spend a few bucks and get a decent socket set.

Although when you start getting above 17mm you will either have to get a Big set, or start buying individually.

I have bought some 24-34mm sockets, which I have only used once... heh, maybe I should have taken them back... but some day, i am sure i will use it again... SOME day... (or at least, thats what i tell me wife).

I love craftsman. I have cracked, dented, bent various tools, and they always replace it for me, no questions asked (i.e. even though I used the socket on an impact wrench...)

tdk.

Verified - it is a 24mm socket. Have you given any thought as for the replacement fluid? Sticking with OEM or going with something different? Handy trick in getting the lube back in there - just get yourself some clear tubing (1/4" or 3/8") and see if it fits on the gear oil bottle. Fortunantely most bottles have an extended tip, but just short enough to give you some grief. Just add some tubing to the end and squeeze the lube into the fill hole until it starts to drip out. Cap it off and you're done.

Bikeman982

Agree with the guys, spend a few bucks and get a decent socket set.

Although when you start getting above 17mm you will either have to get a Big set, or start buying individually.

I have bought some 24-34mm sockets, which I have only used once... heh, maybe I should have taken them back... but some day, i am sure i will use it again... SOME day... (or at least, thats what i tell me wife).

I love craftsman. I have cracked, dented, bent various tools, and they always replace it for me, no questions asked (i.e. even though I used the socket on an impact wrench...)

tdk.

I have a full set of tools and have purchased various additional sizes and sockets just for my Corolla.

Thanks for all the suggestion. I assume that's both drain and fill plugs are 24mm. Going to get from sears.com, they appear to have some sales going on.

I bought 3 quarts of MT-90 from an a local motor sport store. I decided to change the fluid because every time I shift into reverse gear, it crunch loudly. Hopefully, new fluid will smooth thing out.

Also I read about tubing from pepboys or autozone that allow you yo fix the tubing to the oil container and stick the open end to the fill hole.

Job finally done. 24mm socket for fill plug and drain plug. About the filling the oil, I duck tape a tube to my regular funnel. Additional step is to unscrew the front (passenger side) plastic cover. Reverse gear crunching problem gone. Shifting is creamy than ever.

Anyway, I feel the toyota's have softer shifting than the nissan's. The nissan's have a slightly solid shifting.

Nice default_biggrin - good to hear that it went pretty smoothly and that it fixed that gear crunch. How did the old lube look like when you drained it - pretty bad (how much different than the new fluid)?

The old stuff is just dark or black. Probably, the previous owner never change it since they figure out there is nothing wrong with it. My new Redline looks light yellowish or brownish. I hope the new synthetic oil will last.

Cool - Redline should work great in there. That's all I used in my manual trannies and they have never any problems with lubrication or wear.

Cool - Redline should work great in there. That's all I used in my manual trannies and they have never any problems with lubrication or wear.

So guys, could you describe the fill and drain plug locations a little bit more? I have 2 female hexes right on the top of the transaxle housing in a 2002 Corolla CE and I see an ominous looking male plug, sort of like a tap right on the front of the housing facing the fans. I assume the drain is on the bottom. Have not checked yet. Right?

Thanks, it saves me the price of the manual.

Zsolt

Its the male 24mm hex bolt on the side of the transmission. One is a little higher than the other - the lower being the drain and the upper the fill plug. Just take a peek - can't miss them on the transaxle.

So guys, could you describe the fill and drain plug locations a little bit more? I have 2 female hexes right on the top of the transaxle housing in a 2002 Corolla CE and I see an ominous looking male plug, sort of like a tap right on the front of the housing facing the fans. I assume the drain is on the bottom. Have not checked yet. Right?

Zsolt

The fill plug is the one facing the fans, the drain plug in on the side of the transmission case in the bottom. If you look under the car from the driver's side wheel towards the transmission, it's the big hex 24mm plug facing the wheel.

Zsolt

The fill plug is the one facing the fans, the drain plug in on the side of the transmission case in the bottom. If you look under the car from the driver's side wheel towards the transmission, it's the big hex 24mm plug facing the wheel.

Thanks guys, it is really useful information. I go and get some Redline in there, this tranny has 90K on it.

Yeah, Redline is a great product to use. Does anyone know if these trannys have any brass in them (i.e. synchronizers, etc.)? I know that some trannys do and that any fluids that contain sulfur can eat away the brass.

Bikeman982

I would recommend using Redline for Transmission fluid.

Yeah, Redline is a great product to use. Does anyone know if these trannys have any brass in them (i.e. synchronizers, etc.)? I know that some trannys do and that any fluids that contain sulfur can eat away the brass.
The one I'm rebuilding for my 8th gen has either brass or brnoze syncros - just visually looking at them. I know that Redline recommends the GL-4 spec'd fluids for most imports to protect the syncros. From what I gathered - most GL-5 lubes tend to be a little harder on the syncros, but I haven't been able to find any specific reference to that. For me - I just stick to what works - Redline MT-90 (75W90 GL-4) or Redline MTL (70W80 GL-4). I like the thicker MT-90 for its protection and feel during shifting, but the MTL viscosity, which is close to a 10w30 or 5w30 motor oil, action in extrememly cold weather is hard to beat and still provides good protection.

The one I'm rebuilding for my 8th gen has either brass or brnoze syncros - just visually looking at them.
Products that contain sulfur will be harsh on any yellow metals.

Zsolt

Thanks guys, it is really useful information. I go and get some Redline in there, this tranny has 90K on it.

After changing my manual trans fluid and also the pneumatic clutch fluid successfully, I noticed that shifting into certain gears became somewhat bumpy. Particularly, shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear feels like I am pushing the stick through some sort of narrowing or bump. When shifting from 4th back to 3rd, this does not happen. Tranny works completely fine otherwise. I used Mobil 1 75-90 oil according to manual specs, since I could not find any Readline product in our area. I have not felt this behavior before I changed the oil. Old gear oil looked completely fine. Do you guys think this problem may be related to the oil chage or it is rather sticky shifter arms and "joints" just before the tranny in the engine compartment? (They were squeaking for a while.) Should I be concerned about this?

Zsolt

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)