Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Short Air Intake

by GarrettSocling, September 4, 2004

Hello.

I just put an eBay short air intake in my Corolla. Cleaned out the intake pipe, went slow, no problems.

I started it up, all is good.

Revved it once or twice, all is good.

Got it out on the road, gave it some gas...and my goodness it was LOUD! I mean, like I put some sort of crazy aftermarket exhaust on it...very very loud bbBBRRRRRWWWWWWMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Also, around 4000 RPM there is some signifigant vibration inside, feel it a bit through the steering wheel and the pedals.

Cruising, I don't notice any problems. No noticable sound.

If I am crusing at 2500PRM, and I give it some harder gas, it is slightly deeper than normal, slightly louder.

But if I am accelerating from a standstill up through the gears...I sound like some sort of punk!

This is the intake :

http://www.sabersport.com/Merchant2/images...ake/ninco03.jpg

I had to add a breather for the valve cover like this (older engine shown):

http://vamp.darkravers.net/DIYGraphics/Val...verBreather.jpg

(thank goodness he had a nice little DIY, I was at a loss)

Is this normal?

What should I do now? Am I causing damage to my engine? I've only driving about 2 miles like this.

Thanks,

Garrett

Guest CorollaXRS

you are not causing any harm to the engine, you are just helping it breath a little better!!! now you should try to get an exhaust system on it, to help it exhale better!!! Its natural to hear the engine louder car manufactures have to make vehicles quiter to meet goverment regulations.

Is the vibration normal?

I was pretty freaked out by the difference. It is so amazingly loud...

Maybe its cause its a $20 eBay intake...

G

Not much you can do with the loudness - just the nature of the intake design. The vibration could be caused by a loose mount or not enough mounts for the intake. It has to be rigidly mounted to not shift around too much - but not be so rigid that is twists when the engine moves in the mounts.

To quiet it down - you can use a differnent filter or use an air horn on the inside to change the resonance of the system. Another way is to build an ice box around it - basically a box to seal it away from the rest of the engine - that will muffle some of the sounds and change the resonant frequency.

If you go the exhaust route - check will noise laws in your area - they bust guys all the time where I'm at with exhausts that are too loud (IIRC, 95dB limit).

Good Luck.

I am getting used to the noise, since both my wife and my friend said that they don't think its that bad, I decided its just because of how //different// it sounds.

That said, it turns out that 03 and 04 intakes don't fit the 05 due to some changes (no VSV on the intake, instead the valve breather is connected to the plastic portion instead of directly to the aluminum throttle body). I am returning this intake and going to wait and probably buy a brand name on instead when they are redesigned for the 05's.

The only problem with the noise is that now that I'm starting to like it I am giving it more gas from 3k to 4k in order to hear it...

Heh...I'm looking forward to putting the stock system back on.

Thanks for the help all, I had no idea that it would change the sound of my car so much,

G

Topic List