Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2004 Battery Dead Already

by Jake Bryce November 22, 2006

I was greeted to an unpleasant surprise of a dead battery after work today. I was surprised since the battery was only 2.5 years old. The battery was the factory one and wouldn't hold a charge anymore. I didn't get any indications of a problem. The car just wouldn't turn over. I can't believe Toyota is putting in these wimpy 310 CCA batteries into new cars. Just a heads up to everyone before the cold weather hits.

• 1,424 posts
I was greeted to an unpleasant surprise of a dead battery after work today. I was surprised since the battery was only 2.5 years old. The battery was the factory one and wouldn't hold a charge anymore. I didn't get any indications of a problem. The car just wouldn't turn over. I can't believe Toyota is putting in these wimpy 310 CCA batteries into new cars. Just a heads up to everyone before the cold weather hits.

Almost all cars have cheap OEM batteries. They are meant to last for 2 years at most, and they are not covered under warranty most of the time unless they fail because of a catastrophic failure.

My son & I both changed batteries in our 03's as preventive maintenance.

Son even got a cheaper Sears battery with 525 CCA. Shame on Toyota for what they installed.

Looked at dealer's Toyota replacements - made in Mexico. Went to sears for my son since he may trade in 1-2 years. I bought an Optima.

Max

I'm probably living on borrowed time. OE battery will be five years old in March.

The OEM battery that used to be in my 2002 Corolla is still trucking alone (now dedicated to provide 12V power to some sercurity lamps). Replaced that one with an Optima one - that battery went a long way to help solve the dimming head light issues ever since I got the car new off the lot (OEM battery was just barely big enough to run the accessories).

The one in the 2003 Matrix just flat out died during a holiday road trip. Fortunantely, we were able to jump the battery and limp back home, figuring the highway drive back would charge it back up. Nope - won't take a charge. Replaced that unit with a 640CCA Interstate MegaTron Plus battery - so far so good.

ya know my headlights and blower motor get a little dim when i'm idling in gear, maybe i need a new battery? i just always thought that at 700rpm the alternator wasnt enough to keep up with all the draw, what do you think fish?

the headlights only dim the littlest bit, normal person would never notice. the blower motor tho is audibly different speeds when its on full blast. oh and i think my rear defroster was on when this happens, i know that draws ALOT of juice.

Yeah, if your running a larger load at idle, the OEM alternator will definitely have a tough time keeping up. I think my alternator was rated at only 80A - I'll have to double check that, I don't remember off the top of my head.

On my 8th gen - kicking on any additional load - power door locks, power windows, rear defroster, etc. the headlight were noticably dimming. I mean I could tell if my son was messing with the power windows/door buttons if I'm at a stop, because the lights would dim that much.

Swapping in a bigger battery helped alot. A grounding kit also helped quite a bit - that item I was surprised quite a bit. Normally I blow off these "kits" as more for audio applications than normal car operation - but together with the battery, dimming issue is all but gone.

Bikeman982

Stock batteries are not for high performance and generally do not last very long.

I have changed car batteries for all my cars.

I can get used batteries from my local junkyard for $5 each.

Some are like brand new and last for years.

Others have a bad cell or don't last too long.

I have a charger with a gage that I use to charge the batteries or check their condition.

Swapping in a bigger battery helped alot. A grounding kit also helped quite a bit - that item I was surprised quite a bit. Normally I blow off these "kits" as more for audio applications than normal car operation - but together with the battery, dimming issue is all but gone.
well i've been meaning to install a home made one, some cheap 10 guage jumper cable wire and some eyelets.

Bikeman982

well i've been meaning to install a home made one, some cheap 10 guage jumper cable wire and some eyelets.

I thought batteries were already grounded thru the negative lead?

the battery in my '05 wasn't up to the task of running my aftermarket sound system and ipod for too long without going flat. replaced it with a 410cc battery (this is the biggest available in australia that would fit my engine bay, without any modifications). The new battery is actually designed for a subaru wrx.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)