Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Transmission Flush

by marathoner53, November 17, 2006

I took my car in for a oil change and mechanic says I need a transmission flush. It's at 77,000 miles and has had no problems. Is it usually necessary to flush the transmission fluid or just drain and fill? Is the toyota T-IV the only fluid that can be used?

Thanks for any help.

If you had the transmission serviced at the recommended intervals (manual lists it to be changed at 60K intervals under special operating conditions) - then a drain and refill would be sufficient. A flush will get out more of the old fluid - since most in in the torque converter anyways, but more often just a money maker for the dealership or mechanic. If the fluid visably looks very dark or has a burnt odor - then a flush may be in order, as this would be the most cost/time effective way to correct that.

Only Toyota Type T-IV or compatible fluid should be used - Amsoil and Mobil have supposedly compatible fluid (Amsoil says so by phone or email - but it is not mentioned on the labeling, Mobil says Type T-IV compatible on the box). Most people have found that it is easier to pick up a case at the dealership and be done with it - usually runs about $4 - $5 a quart in that case.

just a drain and fill is recommended at the toyota dealership,

of course, OEM tranny fluid should be used.

Do not believe any posters here that say a substitute may be cheaper

with no difference. You'd be taking a big chance.

If you do it yourself, consider dropping the pan and cleaning or

changing the screen or filter.

Last time I checked, a tranny flush is 150 USD or more, not really necessary.

just a drain and fill is recommended at the toyota dealership,of course, OEM tranny fluid should be used.

They quoted $96 for the flush. It's a Wynn's Transmission Flush if that makes any difference. The fluid has not been changed (checked regularly) and it's at 77,000 miles.

They quoted $96 for the flush. It's a Wynn's Transmission Flush if that makes any difference. The fluid has not been changed (checked regularly) and it's at 77,000 miles.

Again, I do not know what a Wynn's tranny flush will do to the tranny, and if there will be any residual

flush left in the system. Take your chances here ??

Obviously, I don't know anything about this and will not be attempt it myself.

Are you saying not to do the flush? Or do I just need to make sure they use the OEM fluid?

Again, I do not know what a Wynn's tranny flush will do to the tranny, and if there will be any residual

flush left in the system. Take your chances here ??

considering that you were supposed to drain and fill 31/2qts

at 30k miles or so, and you were supposed to do so again around

70k miles, the tranny fluid must be quite dirty.

If you want to save money, drain and fill 2 times by yourself,

1 week apart.

If you want to spend alittle extra, go to the Toyota dealership and

ask for a complete trans fluid change, including cleaning the filter.

Now, OEM tranny fluid is very expensive, so it will not be cheap.

I don't think you need a flush, whatever that means.

Bikeman982

I recommend changing the fluid and driving it for a while. After that you can check it for appearance, and if it looks or smells bad, change it again.

I would use only the recommended fluid for replacement.

You can pay the dealer or any repair place to do it, or give it a try yourself.

Pick up a repair manual for your car and just read it. Then follow the procedure.

How long does it take for the trans fluid to become fully "mixed" when you do a drain/fill? In other words, how long does it take the fluid remaining in the torque converter, which didn't drain out of the drain plug, to become fully incorporated? I'm considering doing two consecutive drain/fills in a short period of time, perhaps a week, which for me could be as few as 30 miles of driving, just to get as much "new" fluid into the tranny as possible. My Corolla LE now has 41,000 miles on it, but is now also 4 years old!

I'll get the Toyota fluid and have the repair shop replace. I'm scheduled to do this the day before I leave on a 500 mile trip. Any concerns doing this or better to wait until I get back? I don't want any problems on the road.

I'll get the Toyota fluid and have the repair shop replace. I'm scheduled to do this the day before I leave on a 500 mile trip. Any concerns doing this or better to wait until I get back? I don't want any problems on the road.
Why don't you do it yourself ??

drain the plug at bottom, then get a sprout and pour equal amount fluid back in the dipstick.

then, when you get back from your trip, replace once more ??

drain the plug at bottom, then get a sprout and pour equal amount fluid back in the dipstick.

I've never done any repair work on this car or any other car, so I will let the repair shop handle it. I took the corolla to the dealer one time since I have had it and the dealer was very expensive and in an inconvenient location. The independent repair shop has taken good car of the car so far, but I wanted to make sure about the fluid since the manual said to use the Toyota fluid. I've gotten a lot of good information from this forum before and appreciate the help. One other question in regard to the "flush" the repair shop recommends. Is that something that isn't recommended in a toyota or is there another reason to decline doing that?

My corolla has been the best car I've ever had and I want to keep it that way. 77,000 miles with no problems.

I've never done any repair work on this car or any other car, so I will let the repair shop handle it. I took the corolla to the dealer one time since I have had it and the dealer was very expensive and in an inconvenient location. The independent repair shop has taken good car of the car so far, but I wanted to make sure about the fluid since the manual said to use the Toyota fluid. I've gotten a lot of good information from this forum before and appreciate the help. One other question in regard to the "flush" the repair shop recommends. Is that something that isn't recommended in a toyota or is there another reason to decline doing that?

My corolla has been the best car I've ever had and I want to keep it that way. 77,000 miles with no problems.

A flush may make a trans in bad shape with alot of shavings, junk to get jammed elsewhere

and cause total failur of the tranny.

A flush may make a trans in bad shape with alot of shavings, junk to get jammed elsewhere

and cause total failur of the tranny.

My transmission is not in bad shape. Also, the maintenance schedule for my 2003 corolla does not say to change at 30,000 miles. It only says to check. It indicates it should be changed at 60,000 if driven under the "special operating conditions" which I don't. The owner's manual states the fluid should be changed only as necessary and actully should only need to be changed only if driven under these "special operating conditions." I know the repair shop has been checking these fluids and this the first time they have said it needs to be changed -- again it has 77,000 miles and runs great.

Bikeman982

How long does it take for the trans fluid to become fully "mixed" when you do a drain/fill? In other words, how long does it take the fluid remaining in the torque converter, which didn't drain out of the drain plug, to become fully incorporated? I'm considering doing two consecutive drain/fills in a short period of time, perhaps a week, which for me could be as few as 30 miles of driving, just to get as much "new" fluid into the tranny as possible. My Corolla LE now has 41,000 miles on it, but is now also 4 years old!

Good question Larry.

I would think that two flushes in a short time would work. I don't know how many miles or operation time that would take, but probably a week would be plenty. Thirty miles does not seem like very many, though.

Son's 2003 LE had drain & fill @ 30,000 intervals. At about 75K, I had my mechanic do the flush with Toyota fluid.

Seems to shift more crisply.

I'd avoid aftermarket for a critical fluid like ATF. Some cars are very sensitive to the correct formula.

I would treat "normal" operating conditions as "special" operating condition - at least on the 9th gen Corollas (2003+) running type T-IV ATF.

Probably boils down to how long you want the tranny to last. Want it to hit 100K and then trade in - then just keep going as planned. Want it to make it to 200K - then you need to get more proactive in maintenance schedule and follow a more aggressive routine.

Unless you drive less than 5K a year - that fluid will get oxidized very quickly. A help do work on a close friend's 2003 Corolla and a 2001 Celica - both take Type T-IV. and I've never seen fluid so oxidized without pulling a trailer or heavy loads. Granted this was close to 50K on both cars before their first change - couldn't tell from the dip stick, unless you put a couple drops of the old oil on a paper towel and let it sit for a while. Now with 30K drains and refills (dropping the pan every other change to clean the filter and magnets in the pan) over 100K on the Corolla, 150K on th Celica - fluid has never been cleaner.

For the DIY out there - here is a good procedure to show you what is involved.

http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/xmission_fluid_change1.htm

NOTE: the color of the old fluid vs the new fluid - even though he shows you how the old fluid looks at the dipstick, not how it looks when drained. Every one I've changed with the Type T-IV looks like that, except for a few owners (under 5K miles in Total on a 2003 Corolla and under 8K on a 2004 Corolla).

friendly_jacek

My transmission is not in bad shape. Also, the maintenance schedule for my 2003 corolla does not say to change at 30,000 miles. It only says to check. It indicates it should be changed at 60,000 if driven under the "special operating conditions" which I don't. The owner's manual states the fluid should be changed only as necessary and actully should only need to be changed only if driven under these "special operating conditions." I know the repair shop has been checking these fluids and this the first time they have said it needs to be changed -- again it has 77,000 miles and runs great.

Toyota knows that people keep cars for 100,000 miles on average. Thus, the schedule is very conservative. I changed my fluid (drained and refilled) at 30000 as it was discolored (grey) and dark. Contrary to what some people think, T-IV is not synthetic and corolla's tranny runs hot on high speed hwy driving (I confirmed with IR meter).

Transmission flush is not only a ripoff but can potentially damage a tranny.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)