Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Often To Change The Oil

by 112263, November 17, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

Oil filters do not have to be changed at every oil change (although it is a good idea).

The manual recommends it at every other oil change.

Oil filters do not have to be changed at every oil change (although it is a good idea).The manual recommends it at every other oil change.
I have '05 AT CE with 54,000 miles. Purchased used less than three months ago. Change my own oil. I average nearly 3,000 per month, 70-80% of which is interstate highway miles. Was wondering if I could safely stretch change interval to 6K or 7K so as not have to be changing oil every month.

Oil filters do not have to be changed at every oil change (although it is a good idea).The manual recommends it at every other oil change.

I have '05 AT CE with 54,000 miles. Purchased used less than three months ago. Change my own oil. I average nearly 3,000 per month, 70-80% of which is interstate highway miles. Was wondering if I could safely stretch change interval to 6K or 7K so as not have to be changing oil every month.

Since it is all hwy miles, 6K is a reasonable interval. Just go by the scheduled maintenance manual. With today's synthetic oil, you got to balance oil change interval with econmics and environment. Since you drive on hwys, check your oil level and oil color every two weeks. If it is low, you may have a leak, if it is changing color to black or so, you may need to change it more often

Now that I went totally Mobil 1 using oversized filter and had oil analyses confirmed that it works on a little sludger (5S-FE), I now change every 8000 km.

Hi 5th Beetle,

I have a 1995 Corolla with 190K. I bought the car used at 105K miles. I do about 600 miles per week....approx 75% highway at 80 MPH and run Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic and Purolator PureOne filter using a 15k oil and filter change interval schedule. Still pristine inside the engine. I use about 1.5 quarts in 15K miles. If I need to add oil after 11K miles, I will top off with Valvoline 5W30 dino oil.

No smoke, no raps, no taps.

Jay in MA

Bikeman982

I think you could stretch it, providing you check the oil frequently and top it off, if low.

You have to be careful when comparing oil change intervals with other vehicles. I worked with a guy that had a 2003 Corvette, and he told me he could go 15000 miles between oil changes on Mobil1 synthetic oil. I found out later that the Corvette held 6.5 quarts of oil, not 4 quarts like most smaller cars. It also had a computer that somehow checked the oil quality, and informed him on the dashboard as to how many miles he had left on the oil. 18-wheelers may hold 10-12 quarts of oil, plus a large filter. That extra oil capacity lets them go further between changes.

18-wheelers may hold 10-12 quarts of oil, plus a large filter. That extra oil capacity lets them go further between changes.

So I should be able to stretch it to at least 8000km by using Mobil 1 and the longer F1 filter on my pigs. default_biggrin

I do oil and filter on my '03 CE every 5000KM (usually under 5000KM, actually). The previous owner had dealer oil changes at every 8000KM-to me that's WAY too long of a service interval, especially with the sludge build up Toyotas are rumored to have.

My dad has an '02 Mazda Protege that he drives very seldom-I change the oil every 3 months, even though it looks new when I drain it.

Cheap and simple maintenance that will prolong your vehicle's lifespan greatly...

Do new 2007 corollas come with synthetic oil or regular conventional oil? If it is regular, then what needs to be done on the first oil change to switch to synthetic? Thanks

All current Corollas run conventional motor oil from the factory. If you want to start using synthetic - then all you need to do is just switch to synthetic after the break-in period (no sense wasting expensive oil on the break-in process). No need for flushing or any additives - regardless of the age/mileage on the engine. Once the engine is properly broken in - use can run either kind, just make sure the oil is appropriate for the conditions and stays close to the recommended viscosity.

Could you explain your theory?

You have to be careful when comparing oil change intervals with other vehicles. I worked with a guy that had a 2003 Corvette, and he told me he could go 15000 miles between oil changes on Mobil1 synthetic oil. I found out later that the Corvette held 6.5 quarts of oil, not 4 quarts like most smaller cars. It also had a computer that somehow checked the oil quality, and informed him on the dashboard as to how many miles he had left on the oil. 18-wheelers may hold 10-12 quarts of oil, plus a large filter. That extra oil capacity lets them go further between changes.

Bikeman982

Could you explain theory?

I think the message intent is that cars that use smaller quantities of oil require more frequent oil changes, while larger quantities are less frequent.

The dirt particles are more likely to cause damage to a smaller engine, than a larger amount of oil in a larger engine.

Also smaller quantities of oil tend to break down consistency faster than larger amounts.

I am not sure how the Corvette works as far as the computer.

Oil is meant to lubricate the engine as well as keep it cooler and to trap dirt and harmful particles.

Larger quantities can absorb more particles and still perform its functions.

Hope this helps.

I think each manufacturer designs their engines with a sump capacity to adequately lubricate and cool the engine whether it's a Corolla, a Corvette or the tractor pulling a trailer.

If you used that theory, the Corolla would have an oversized sump as compared to the Vette. 4 cylinders vs 8, 1.8 liter displacment vs 5.7, far more weight to tote around etc......

Jay in MA 15K intervals using Mobil 1 for the past 105K

Could you explain theory?

I think the message intent is that cars that use smaller quantities of oil require more frequent oil changes, while larger quantities are less frequent.

The dirt particles are more likely to cause damage to a smaller engine, than a larger amount of oil in a larger engine.

Also smaller quantities of oil tend to break down consistency faster than larger amounts.

I am not sure how the Corvette works as far as the computer.

Oil is meant to lubricate the engine as well as keep it cooler and to trap dirt and harmful particles.

Larger quantities can absorb more particles and still perform its functions.

Hope this helps.

Bikeman982

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in my daily driver car.

Topic List