Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Spark Plugs And Pcv Valve Replacement

by vurjt, November 13, 2006

Can someone outline changing the sparkplugs and pcv valve on a 2004 Corolla LE with AT.

I have had the plastic engine cover off and see what appears to be plug "modules" instead of the normal plug wires connected to the top of the engine.

I have 96,000 (obviously highway) miles and need to know when the recommended change interval is?

Also, would like to know the location of the PCV Valve.

Any assistance/comments will be greatly appreciated

Sparkplugs are supposed to last as long as 120K miles. Some tend to change them sooner as part of preventative maintenance. PCV valve needs replaced whenever it is clogged up - audible check or they are cheap enough to replace every year (~$5-$8).

Once you have the plasitic cover off - you need to remove the coil on plug modules. Might help to disconnect the wiring harness to each coil and remove the 10mm bolt holding the wire loom down (give you a bit more room to wiggle those coil packs out). After you remove them - might be a very good idea to blow out the sparkplug holes with compressed air to reduce the chance of debris falling into the sparkplug hole. Remove the plugs with the appropriate sparkplug wrench and a good sized extension (assume that the engine is cool enough to work on - removing plugs on a hot engine increases the chance to strip threads out). Pull each plug out, replace one at a time or all at once (whatever is easiest for you - probably safer one at a time to minimize debris falling into the hole). Coat the threads of the new plug with a little antiseize to help prevent them galling to the head - installation is reverse of removal.

PCV is on the valvecover closest to the brake booster on the driver's side of the car. Look for a rubber tube that routes from the throttlebody to the rear most corner of the valvecover - if you pull the hose off, the PCV barb will be sticking out. Need to put a large adjustable wrench or similar to remove it.

Sparkplugs are supposed to last as long as 120K miles. Some tend to change them sooner as part of preventative maintenance. PCV valve needs replaced whenever it is clogged up - audible check or they are cheap enough to replace every year (~$5-$8).

Once you have the plasitic cover off - you need to remove the coil on plug modules. Might help to disconnect the wiring harness to each coil and remove the 10mm bolt holding the wire loom down (give you a bit more room to wiggle those coil packs out). After you remove them - might be a very good idea to blow out the sparkplug holes with compressed air to reduce the chance of debris falling into the sparkplug hole. Remove the plugs with the appropriate sparkplug wrench and a good sized extension (assume that the engine is cool enough to work on - removing plugs on a hot engine increases the chance to strip threads out). Pull each plug out, replace one at a time or all at once (whatever is easiest for you - probably safer one at a time to minimize debris falling into the hole). Coat the threads of the new plug with a little antiseize to help prevent them galling to the head - installation is reverse of removal.

PCV is on the valvecover closest to the brake booster on the driver's side of the car. Look for a rubber tube that routes from the throttlebody to the rear most corner of the valvecover - if you pull the hose off, the PCV barb will be sticking out. Need to put a large adjustable wrench or similar to remove it.

Thank you very much!

Do you know the required torque on the plugs?

I have one of those deep well sockets with the foam insert so it grips the plug to help you lift them out...I'd suggest coating one of your new plugs with dielectric boot protector and then putting that plug in and pulling it out of your socket a few times...my socket always ends up two inches down inside when putting the plugs back in, with no good way to get it out. The dielectric will lubricate it just enough to allow the socket to lift out, and it isn't bad to leave a little behind on the plug.

Good tip on the dielectric lube - also keeps corrosion down to a minimum.

As for torque values on the plugs - depends on the plugs you pick. Most will say right on the box - ** ft.lbs or quarter turn past contact with head, etc. In the Toyota service manual - with OEM plugs, they spec 13 ft.lbs for the plugs.

Bikeman982

Thank you very much!

Do you know the required torque on the plugs?

I go by "feel" on the torque. The new plugs have a collapsable washer that you tighten the spark plugs down on. I get them fairly tight, then apply about a quater of a turn past that.

every ~120k miles they must be great spark plugs. I have a 1.4 corolla and it is recommended that the spark plugs be changed every 20k miles. what type of plugs do you use, I must get some

These are the Iridium plugs that come OEM in the 1ZZFE 1.8L engine. I believe yours uses a very fine wire Iridium plugs, like the ones in the 2ZZGE engine. Those have to be changed more often for best performance - plug manufacturer recommends 30K or less for those, 120K or less for the thicker variant.

which corolla has a 1.4?

Bikeman982

which corolla has a 1.4?
Sounds like one outside of the states.

Topic List