Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

81 Vs 91 Corolla

Guest arizcats9987

Hey I am new to this forum and I like what I have seen so far. I just have a quick question. I own an 81 corolla 1.8 SR-5 and an 91 corolla. I was just wondering which is the faster and better car out of the two. Both have manual transmissions.

the '91 model is probably more fuel efficient, faster, better handling, better packaged and safer. My '90 holden nova (corolla clone) had an am/fm radio. My '00 has cd player, power windows, alarm, airbag, better brakes (the nova one's faded), better preformance.

I had an '81 base model liftback and can compare it to my current '03 CE.

The '03 easily outaccelerates the '81, is more fuel efficent, safer, and overall a better car.

On the other hand, the '81 handles much better, but doesn't have as much grip as the '03 (mostly a tire issue). Bear in mind that the '81 is rear wheel drive, which makes it an inherently well-balanced car straight from the factory.

Stock for stock, the better overall car is the '03, but if you decided to freshen up the '81 with a modern engine, suspension, and wheel/tire package, it will become the better performer.

Topic List