Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest gadgetdoc

I just got a 2005 "S" with only one master key, got a spare made by dealer but cost $50 then they have the nerve to charge labor for programming but I thought I saw several methods for self-programming Toyota transponder keys on the net and thought I'd save some cash. Tried them all (combos of pedal pushes/door openings) and none seem to work. Has anyone successfully added a duplicate transponder key to their '05 or later Corolla on their own? Or are we all at the mercy of the "stealerships"? Thanks for any tips.

• 1,424 posts
I just got a 2005 "S" with only one master key, got a spare made by dealer but cost $50 then they have the nerve to charge labor for programming but I thought I saw several methods for self-programming Toyota transponder keys on the net and thought I'd save some cash. Tried them all (combos of pedal pushes/door openings) and none seem to work. Has anyone successfully added a duplicate transponder key to their '05 or later Corolla on their own? Or are we all at the mercy of the "stealerships"? Thanks for any tips.

On Ford cars you can self program new keys, providing you have TWO master keys. Toyota doesn't allow self programming on your car, even though they have a really similar system to Ford. The dealer or a locksmith with the programming equipment are the only ones who can get your new key to work.

Also, as the owner's manual in your car states, "Do not try to self program keys, this can only be done by the dealer. If you attempt to do so, you will cause the system to be stuck in programming mode and will be unable to start your car." You're lucky you didn't actually get the car into program mode, otherwise your car would not be working right now.

Aren't these pieces of security crap great?

I got a spare for my 03 at Ace Hardware for $2 and a new Toyota master from dealer for $12.

Shame this garbage isn't optional so it can be avoided.

I have read that with the 2005 Corolla, it is not possible to self-program the key (not the remote but the key itself) - it must be done by a locksmith or the dealer. Is this true?

There are instructions on the web on how to program remotes but not keys. I am about to order a blank chipped key and have it cut by a locksmith but I want to know if I can program it myself to save some money.

Thanks for your help.

The keys that are "chipped" with the RFID tech, must be programmed by the dealership or locksmiths that have the programmer. You can self-program the remotes, as those are handled by a separate process. The chipped keys have to be encoded by a radio programmer - they shove the key into a programming slot and program the transmitter for the chip.

Also depends on the chip inside the key - as the 2004-2005 model years seemed to be when they started using the newer chips. The older chips can be programmed onboard - meaning, you can do it yourself. Some of those onboard programmers require the use of two keys - the master and "blank" key.

Suggestions is to try one of the programming schemes that are floating around the net or ask your dealership for instructions. If it works - great. If it doesn't work, then you only spent a couple of minutes messing around - then take it to the dealership to be programmed.

The keys that are "chipped" with the RFID tech, must be programmed by the dealership or locksmiths that have the programmer. You can self-program the remotes, as those are handled by a separate process. The chipped keys have to be encoded by a radio programmer - they shove the key into a programming slot and program the transmitter for the chip.

Also depends on the chip inside the key - as the 2004-2005 model years seemed to be when they started using the newer chips. The older chips can be programmed onboard - meaning, you can do it yourself. Some of those onboard programmers require the use of two keys - the master and "blank" key.

Suggestions is to try one of the programming schemes that are floating around the net or ask your dealership for instructions. If it works - great. If it doesn't work, then you only spent a couple of minutes messing around - then take it to the dealership to be programmed.

My Ace Hardware sells chipped keys for $69 including the key and programming.

Contrary to what many state, the 2005 Corolla transponder key can be programed on board. You can purchase the correct blank transponder key online for about $3.50 and up. Home Depot and many Lowes will cut it for free.

The steps are simple and faster then programing the remote. Please follow the following when you have your valet key cut. Note? you need the master key to perform these steps.

1. with the doors closed, insert the master key in the ignition 5 times leaving it in on the 5th insertion. 2. Imediately open and close the door 6 times. 3. pull out the master key and the security light should start blinking. 4. imediately put in the valet key (new cut key) and wait for the security light to stop blinking. This will take 2 to 3 minutes of blinking. When it stops blinking, pull out the key. 5. Put the master in and start the car and turn off. 6. Put in the valet key and the car should start, programing is complete.

If it does not work on your first try, do it again. (It took me 2 trys the first time because I did not put the master out soon enough after opening and closing the door.)

Okay. ..active member with one post. Welcome to the forum.

Can anyone confirm this?

I've seen these instructions on Ebay where they sell the blanks.

My 2005 was manufactured in late 2004 (with the defective fuel pump motor).

I have seen all sorts of self programming with the car- there are similar ones out there to this particular setup, more or less steps, even seen ones where they just left the keys in the ignition, turn to ON for exactly 10 minutes and 30 seconds, repeat 3 times. Some crazy ones on Youtube.

Might be worth a shot, if it doesn't work - then you can always go back to a dealership or locksmith.

Guest Frenchy

Have had success programming a duplicate on a 2005 Corolla using a master and an Amazon bought duplicate using the steps mentioned above. Very easy and no problems. You have to use a master key which is black, the grey key is a valet and has a different chip, I presume so someone you loan the car to can buy a key and Program it On the car.

• 320 posts

I've done it too. Not on a Corolla but on a similar vintage car. 

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)