Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Ok, What Exactly Is My Car Now?

By Bitter, October 31, 2006

so when i was rear ended it was totaled monetarily by his insurance company, and i opted to take the $200 buyback offer since it was still very much road worthy. what kind of title does my car have now? i read the states info on this but i cant make heads or tails of it. here it is for anyone who can decode it for me. is it a salvage title now or just flagged as totaled?

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publicat...ons/vsd2247.pdf

i would think it would be a salvage title, hard to say though

Looks like your car would fall under the salvage certificate. Even though you made arrangements to keep the car and title, but the insurance company will still file for the salvage certificate. Will not be junk unless you plan on parting the car out - then you have to submit updated paperwork for the junk certificate (car not able to be titled or registered for highway use).

woah woah woah, what the hell...its perfectly road safe tho, it was totaled by some crushed Styrofoam (which i replaced) and some dents, not because the B pillar is crushed in or a wheel fell off. i was rear ended at about 20-25mph.

you're telling me that i cant legally drive it anymore? that doesnt sound right at all. i know plenty of people who's cars were deemed monetarily totalled but still drove around with liability insurance legally without any problems.

i never got any paperwork or an updated title that reflects it being salvage and i was not told that it wouldn't be road legal.

The salvage certificate will still allow you to drive - its the junk certificate that doesn't. I'm pretty sure your falls with the former - the salvage certificate.

I know it can be a PITA - damage can be quite insignificant and still be considered a write off (easy for insurance, bad for owner). Someone in my lot hit some deer with his car - just busted up the headlamp assembly, hood, grille, bumper cover, and windshield - car still ran just fine. Insurance totalled the car out (junk) - he bought it back (registered as salvage) and still driving it now.

ok, i'm pretty sure my car is salvage then, not junk. someone was a little confused and scared me a bit lol.

ya even with a salvage title you can drive it, same with cars with lost vins and such they are given a salvage title, still can drive them and all

yea, the guy was telling me this stuff was....tarded. one of those people who sounds like they know what they're talking about but dont.

ha ya welcome to that wonderful world, its like ya i just wanna know this question and they one explain it like you are a moran and everything, hate those people

Topic List: Go to Everything Else