Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest Spug Eddie

Last year I replaced the starter motor because the car (1990 corolla) wouldn't start.

Lately, the car has been failing to start, but only when the car is hot. It starts fine when it is cool, like in the morning or when I am leaving work in the evening. The problem is after I have driven for an hour or so and then i stop for gas or to run into a store then try to start the car again, it won't start. So definitely the problem only happens when the car is hot. default_sad

Any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks

Doesn't start = engine won't turn over or engine will not catch?

If it doesn't turn over - you might have to look at bad connections to the starter and the rest of the charging system. Could also be a starter just going bad - it happens, even with newer parts.

Also look into the possiblity that the starter bendix and flywheel may not be meshing properly. Not usually a problem with imports - but with some, too tight of a clearance will lead to binding when engine is hot.

If it doesn't catch - look into ignition and fuel issues. Same thing - could be a connection issue or wiring problem.

Good Luck.

Guest eddiys

My daughter’s ’90 LE Auto 155,k mi had cold starter not work problem. After warm was always fine. We had replaced starter and battery a year earlier and so thought starter was still OK. But one year and several winter months of turning key w/o cranking at all, she took to private garage and they replaced with Remanf Bosch starter. Everything works fine since. Plus the Garage and Bosch guaranteed one year parts and Labor(?). Not bad price either; Bosch seems only remanufacture of these Toyota starters; Toyota will only sell new.

If warm starter does no crank/turn at all, may be internal wire winding shorting out after heat expands parts (but this usually happens due to cold condition). If cranks and does not fire, can be ignition coil defective, or gasoline flooding. Remember if does not fire after several (few) tries, way to proceed is keep gas pedal fully depressed while cranking. Of course, never depress or pump gas pedal when staring any Fuel Inject engine. Should be no need whatsoever to touch the gas pedal until engine fires up a little.

One last thing on the 4FE engine, there is a idle air-bypass screw/plug in the intake manifold right at the throttle plate housing (easy to see the screw’s slotted head inset in throttle body). I would check this for dirtiness. If you want the step by steps to do this, please reply and ask. I don’t what to complete with Haynes book.

Of course, never depress or pump gas pedal when staring any Fuel Inject engine. Should be no need whatsoever to touch the gas pedal until engine fires up a little.

Actually I was told that holding the pedal all the way down works for fuel injected engines too! Perhaps the computer detects you're trying to start at WOT and acts accordingly, perhaps it's something else too, but it's definitely the way to start a drowned fuel-injected engine.

Topic List