Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2004 Corolla Headlight Out

by PAKate, September 25, 2006

One of the Headlights (low beam, drivers side) on my 2004 Corolla is out. How do I gain access to change the bulb and where can I purchase a bulb for it. Is there a specific Stock number for it or anything like that?

Thanks.

The low beam is called a 9006 lamp - you can find them in almost any automotive store - sold either individually or in a two pack, there is no left/right distinction.

Look behind the headlamp housing - the bulb is held in a mount that can be turned out of the housing (bayonet type of connection). You may have to remove the intake snorkel if you do not have enough room to manuver in there. Just disconnect lamp power connector, twist to loosen (grab the low beam one, high beam one is close by - just look at theor relative locations in the front of the lamp assembly and grab the appropriate one), and remove from housing. Installation is the reverse - just make sure to keep your skin oils from contaminating the bulb - will shorten its life considerably (use lint free cloth/paper or similar).

Should be detailed in the owner's manual, if you happen to have it around.

The low beam is called a 9006 lamp - you can find them in almost any automotive store - sold either individually or in a two pack, there is no left/right distinction.

Look behind the headlamp housing - the bulb is held in a mount that can be turned out of the housing (bayonet type of connection). You may have to remove the intake snorkel if you do not have enough room to manuver in there. Just disconnect lamp power connector, twist to loosen (grab the low beam one, high beam one is close by - just look at theor relative locations in the front of the lamp assembly and grab the appropriate one), and remove from housing. Installation is the reverse - just make sure to keep your skin oils from contaminating the bulb - will shorten its life considerably (use lint free cloth/paper or similar).

Should be detailed in the owner's manual, if you happen to have it around.

default_biggrin THANKS!!

Bikeman982

Does the 2004 have a similar headlight as mine which takes both a 9005 and a 9006 bulb??

I once bought 15 9006 bulbs from e-Bay because I needed 1 and then I sold 13 on e-Bay and kept one for a spare. I made enough from selling them that it paid for the two I kept. default_cool

Same bulbs, different headlamp. I believe all of the 9th gen Corollas and the later 8th gen (2001-2002), and all the 7th gen Corollas that have the separate high/low bulbs use the 9006 (low beam) and 9005 (high beam). The only oddball ones are the 1998-2000 Corollas that had a single high/low bulb - a 9003 bulb. Not sure why they did that.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)