Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Changing The Atf In A 1990 Corrola

by charles, September 24, 2006 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Hi Everyone --

I'm in charge of doing the maintenence on my mother's 1990 Corrola Wagon. It has 74k miles, and runs great.

I just changed the oil, using Valvoline 10-30w Full Synthetic, with a Fram filter. A lot of folks have low opinions of the Frams, and that could be changed to a different brand if needed.

Changing the transmission fluid is the next project. It looks like there is a drain plug on the pan -- the plan is to drain and refill, then maybe do it again, after the old and new fluids are mixed.

What is the correct type of fluid? The tranny dipstick says Dexron II, which isn't carried by the parts store -- is Dexron III or IV the correct type? Is it worth using Synthetic?

Anyway, this is something I'd like to do tomorrow -- any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My mother and sister asked me to tune it up, but I'm not sure what's needed -- it runs great, so the plugs and plug wires and distributor and fuel system all seem to be in working order. I thought changing the plugs and wires might be a good idea, but I'm not convinced.

Thanks --

check the plugs, if they look worn change them. air and fuel filter, trans filter, dexron 3 should work fine. has the timing belt been changed? im sure its past due for that (every 60K miles). check the accessory belts for cracks or damage, check the brakes and get an alignment if needed. check the tire air pressure, change the wiper blades.

I changed the air filter -- the old one was a Toyota, and it was a much better looking filter than the STP I put in. The new filter should work though, and the old one was very dusty.

How many quarts of tranny fluid will be needed, with just draining the pan?

The last major service was at the dealer (probably around 60k miles) but I have no idea what they did. My sister said they ripped her off, but that's another story.

How hard is it to change the timing belt? This isn't an interference engine, is it?

I'll probably take it to a shop for the timing belt and the accessory belts -- but that will have to wait for me to find a used car for myself. I need an AWD, and haven't found anything yet. A nice Camry All Trac would be perfect, if one comes along.

I highly suggest you get a Haynes or Chilton's manual. They are even usually in your public library. A must have for DIY on Corolla. Very cheap online too for older cars at Amazon or evilbay.

Bikeman982

Hi Everyone --

I'm in charge of doing the maintenence on my mother's 1990 Corrola Wagon. It has 74k miles, and runs great.

I just changed the oil, using Valvoline 10-30w Full Synthetic, with a Fram filter. A lot of folks have low opinions of the Frams, and that could be changed to a different brand if needed.

Changing the transmission fluid is the next project. It looks like there is a drain plug on the pan -- the plan is to drain and refill, then maybe do it again, after the old and new fluids are mixed.

What is the correct type of fluid? The tranny dipstick says Dexron II, which isn't carried by the parts store -- is Dexron III or IV the correct type? Is it worth using Synthetic?

Anyway, this is something I'd like to do tomorrow -- any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My mother and sister asked me to tune it up, but I'm not sure what's needed -- it runs great, so the plugs and plug wires and distributor and fuel system all seem to be in working order. I thought changing the plugs and wires might be a good idea, but I'm not convinced.

Thanks --

Check a repair manual for quantity of ATF. Not very much - usually about 3 quarts.

For automatic three-speeds, 2.6 qts.

For four-speed 3.3 qts.

For manual - 2.7 qts.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm