Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Emission On High Side

by buurin, September 20, 2006 in Toyotas that aren’t Corollas

Not exactly about a Corolla, but I guess this may apply to everyone.

After stowing away our little pig, our remaining car (a 97 Camry) went in for emissions and passed. Here are the figures on the report, but something makes me a bit uneasy:

ASM2525 test:

HC 55ppm limit 60

CO 0.25% limit 0.33%

NO 25ppm limit 450

curb idle test:

HC 31ppm limit 200

CO 0.04% limit 1.00%

As you can see CO and HC figures are higher and quite close to the limit when the car is under load.

Is it normal? Or is the limit here unreasonably low?

FWIW dad bought a bottle of emission additive and ran it through a tank before the test.

Look OK to me - numbers at speed for the acceleration portion should spike - perfectly normal. If the steady-state number trend on the high side - could be due to normal wear and tear on the motor (~144K - numbers are very good). Most of the "spikes" are from misfires that happen all the time - could be due to the quality of gas (bad), fouled plugs, or even that bottle of emissions additive (could have fouled the plugs or shifted the O2 sensors readings).

Usual suspects - high CO (mix is too rich), high HC (mix is too lean), high NOX (EGR issue).

Bikeman982

After stowing away our little pig, our remaining car (a 97 Camry) went in for emissions and passed. Here are the figures on the report, but something makes me a bit uneasy:

ASM2525 test:

HC 55ppm limit 60

CO 0.25% limit 0.33%

NO 25ppm limit 450

curb idle test:

HC 31ppm limit 200

CO 0.04% limit 1.00%

As you can see CO and HC figures are higher and quite close to the limit when the car is under load.

FWIW dad bought a bottle of emission additive and ran it through a tank before the test.

In CA the emission tests are every two years and they get tighter and tighter every time.

I sold my 1991 and 1992 because they failed the smog check the first time.

I took then to a "friend of a friend" and he got them to pass - then I sold them.

I am not taking any chances with trying to get them to pass smog.

You can spend a lot of money changing everything and constantly getting it retested.

That is just my opinion and what I did, your case may be totally different.

denatured alcohol default_wink

Bikeman982

ASM2525 test:

HC 55ppm limit 60

CO 0.25% limit 0.33%

NO 25ppm limit 450

curb idle test:

HC 31ppm limit 200

CO 0.04% limit 1.00%

Might have difficulty passing emissions test next time.

denatured alcohol default_wink

We already have 5% alcohol in our gas.

Topic List: Go to Toyotas that aren’t Corollas