Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Battles Of The Bulge...

By c2105026, September 17, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

^^^Here is a simple trick that can be used year round, but especially during the holidays.

Before you leave for that party with all those tempting hors d'oeuvres, etc.... Take a good nourishing healthy snack!

It is recommended that you never go food shopping on an empty stomach.

Eat before you go and you will buy less, more healthier foods.

Wow, over 3lb/wk over 15weeks...

Thats a lot of self control.

I need to take better care of my health too...

Last time I lost weight, it was a cross b/t extreme stress (no appetite) and mtn biking (to relieve stress).

Think I lost 10lb in 2wks... not so healthy.

I should think about doing something this winter. I need to get rid of 20lb or so...

Congrats!

Hang in there!

and keep us updated!

tdk.

Next Update:

16 weeks on: 236.5, down 55.5.

Xmas has been a challenge. I am staying with my parents for the holidays. For successful weight management for the rest of the year it isn't the best environment; now it is pure diet hell. Shortbread. Honey encrusted macadamias. Rocky Road. And we got waaay too much meat. Yesterday was ok, actually went down a pound yesterday; but today has been difficult I had too much lunch (had an extra couple of 3 ounces of ham and a lge scoop of icecream that I didn't figure on) and now I have my bother's birthday party this afternoon to contend with - at that there will be cake and a cheese platter. To counter it I went for an extra walk this afternoon, will see how it goes.

Bikeman982

Next Update:

16 weeks on: 236.5, down 55.5.

Xmas has been a challenge. I am staying with my parents for the holidays. For successful weight management for the rest of the year it isn't the best environment; now it is pure diet hell. Shortbread. Honey encrusted macadamias. Rocky Road. And we got waaay too much meat. Yesterday was ok, actually went down a pound yesterday; but today has been difficult I had too much lunch (had an extra couple of 3 ounces of ham and a lge scoop of icecream that I didn't figure on) and now I have my bother's birthday party this afternoon to contend with - at that there will be cake and a cheese platter. To counter it I went for an extra walk this afternoon, will see how it goes.

So you have reduced your food intake?

Aren't you hungry all the time?

Holidays must be a real challenge, with all the food around.

Yes I did reduce my food intake, but it was waaaay too much before. I am now limiting my self - officially - to 1800 cal/7500Kj a day. I do feel hungry, but usually it is when I am dehydrated, and sometimes right before meals (which I am guessing is normal). I ate so much food before I never felt hungry, I was only ever hungry in my head. Now I actually get physically hungry.

Yes the holidays are a pain in regards to dieting; but it is now 5:30pm, Xmas is nearly over. It would be worse at my nan's place in Canberra, some in my family in canberra are basically foreign to the concept of healthy eating...

Bikeman982

Yes I did reduce my food intake, but it was waaaay too much before. I am now limiting my self - officially - to 1800 cal/7500Kj a day. I do feel hungry, but usually it is when I am dehydrated, and sometimes right before meals (which I am guessing is normal). I ate so much food before I never felt hungry, I was only ever hungry in my head. Now I actually get physically hungry.

Yes the holidays are a pain in regards to dieting; but it is now 5:30pm, Xmas is nearly over. It would be worse at my nan's place in Canberra, some in my family in canberra are basically foreign to the concept of healthy eating...

Have you ever seen the TV show - "The Biggest Loser"?

It is amazing what people go thru and how much weight they lose.

The winner gets $250,000, so that is a great incentive.

hmm, there is something wrong with the biggest loser: the people lose weight too fast. For permanent weight loss, one shouldn't lose, on avergae, any more than about 2-3 lbs a week. I have been losing it quickly, but I am now slowing up a bit. If you lose it too quickly, it is easy for one's weight to rebound. As I get near my goal weight of 185-190lbs I will consult a nutritionist on maintenance, which could be the hard bit...

NEXT UPDATE

18 weeks gone: Down to 227.8. Have lost 64.2 lbs overall. Didn't really find Xmas that difficult - I just excersised a bit more, and was careful about the treats I had. Have lost 8.5 pounds in last fortnight.

This week, I got my blood pressure checked, because I was feeling light-headed when I got up quickly. It tested as 121/72 at the pharmacy, and when I went to an actual doctor it was 110/60. Thing is, back in July it was 142/92... Apart from the light headedness I basically felt OK, so the doctor told me just to keep up the fluids, and keep an eye on it.

Bikeman982

NEXT UPDATE

18 weeks gone: Down to 227.8. Have lost 64.2 lbs overall. Didn't really find Xmas that difficult - I just excersised a bit more, and was careful about the treats I had. Have lost 8.5 pounds in last fortnight.

This week, I got my blood pressure checked, because I was feeling light-headed when I got up quickly. It tested as 121/72 at the pharmacy, and when I went to an actual doctor it was 110/60. Thing is, back in July it was 142/92... Apart from the light headedness I basically felt OK, so the doctor told me just to keep up the fluids, and keep an eye on it.

Blood pressure sounds normal. Maybe you are just not totally adjusted to a lighter you. I think you are doing great, keep it up!

19 weeks, 2 days gone - am now at 224.4lbs, have now lost 67.6 pounds. Aiming to get to under 100kg (220.8 lbs) by Australia Day (26th Jan). Weight loss is slowing down, I do not think I will get there but will give it a go...

Bikeman982

19 weeks, 2 days gone - am now at 224.4lbs, have now lost 67.6 pounds. Aiming to get to under 100kg (220.8 lbs) by Australia Day (26th Jan). Weight loss is slowing down, I do not think I will get there but will give it a go...
We are all rooting for you!!

well, i did it!!

this morning (today being Australia Day) i came in at 99.1kg (or 218.3 lbs). 72.7 lbs lost so far. maybe 30-35 to go.

Bikeman982

well, i did it!!

this morning (today being Australia Day) i came in at 99.1kg (or 218.3 lbs). 72.7 lbs lost so far. maybe 30-35 to go.

Keep up the good work!!

NEXT UPDATE:

After 22 weeks, I have now lost 78.2 lbs, or 35.5kg. Am now 213.9.

Today at the gym I discovered jogging...

Shaun: Good on you, mate! Keep up the good work!

Now for a piece of free adivce: Get a good bicycle and start riding it. Bike riding is very enjoyable, so you are more likely to stick with it. It also is a great aerobic workout, but very low impact, so few (if any) issues with joints which can be affected by running/jogging. Moreover, it gets you from point A to point B without burning anything but your own body fat. Very eco-friendly, healthy, and, once again, enjoyable. I bought a good bicycle a year ago, and credit it with my having lost 10 lbs. and keeping at least 1,000 miles off of my Corolla, since I rode it to work quite a lot last year during the good weather. I will do that even more this year.

yes, well, I actually can't ride a bike. I never learnt as a child, and had a good solid go at it 18 months ago out of environmental concern, but was unsuccessful. I don't know if it is my balance or whaterver. default_sad Still, I am envisaging a ramped up effort on the excercise bikes at the gym.

thanks for the encouragement larry default_smile

It's never too late to learn how to ride a bike. I learned when I was 11, my friends helped me learn how to ride.

Now that I moved to Michigan, once the winter freeze ends, I will go to Ohio and maybe bring back my bike.

(Maybe I can then meet people ... default_wink )

I have a cousin in Australia...maybe I can find someone there...or maybe I'll immigrate to Canada...I can't stand it waiting single while my eggs go to waste...!!

Bikeman982

It's never too late to learn how to ride a bike. I learned when I was 11, my friends helped me learn how to ride.

Now that I moved to Michigan, once the winter freeze ends, I will go to Ohio and maybe bring back my bike.

(Maybe I can then meet people ... default_wink )

I have a cousin in Australia...maybe I can find someone there...or maybe I'll immigrate to Canada...I can't stand it waiting single while my eggs go to waste...!!

Try online dating websites - there are thousands waiting to meet and date you.

Shaun: What were your problems in learning how to ride a bicycle? I cannot imagine anyone not being able to master this fairly simple thing, but then again, there could be some sort of balance thing going on in you I've never heard of. Please describe the problems you've been having -- just out of my own curiosity. If you choose not to, that's fine as well.

well, I just couldn't get it 'going' - I mounted ok, but only went a couple of feet before losing balance. I was in a public park, a couple of people were watching me, it was kinda embarrassing. Don't have the bike anymore, sold it...

Anyways my running is progressing, last night I went to my local mall and back - a distance of 2.3 miles, covered in 27.5 minutes. Today on a treadmill in the gym I covered 2.5 miles in 30 min.

So far, I have had no issues with my joints, the only issue is with the muscles in my thighs which are a little tender for a couple of hours afterwards. I am guessing that my joints have had bout 7-8 yrs to adapt to a weight that was 220lbs+, now I am 212 it takes the pressure off my joints a little, their athletic bearing capacity is increased. Mind you, 12 lbs ago I tried jogging, only lasted about 2 minutes before my left knee began to hurt. But, no problems now...

Now that I am interested in running, I am considering entering the Sydney City to Surf in August. It is 9 miles, some decent hills, thousands enter it. It is 6 months away, plenty of time to train.

Bikeman982

well, I just couldn't get it 'going' - I mounted ok, but only went a couple of feet before losing balance. I was in a public park, a couple of people were watching me, it was kinda embarrassing. Don't have the bike anymore, sold it...

Anyways my running is progressing, last night I went to my local mall and back - a distance of 2.3 miles, covered in 27.5 minutes. Today on a treadmill in the gym I covered 2.5 miles in 30 min.

So far, I have had no issues with my joints, the only issue is with the muscles in my thighs which are a little tender for a couple of hours afterwards. I am guessing that my joints have had bout 7-8 yrs to adapt to a weight that was 220lbs+, now I am 212 it takes the pressure off my joints a little, their athletic bearing capacity is increased. Mind you, 12 lbs ago I tried jogging, only lasted about 2 minutes before my left knee began to hurt. But, no problems now...

Now that I am interested in running, I am considering entering the Sydney City to Surf in August. It is 9 miles, some decent hills, thousands enter it. It is 6 months away, plenty of time to train.

You can learn to ride a bicycle easier by sitting on the seat and having someone push you fast enough to get to a balancing speed.

That's how children learn. It is harder to start from a stop and then get going.

hello again,

Weight now 209, have lost 83. 2 weeks to go for 6-month milestone. Aiming to get down to 204 by then (that equates to a loss of 40kg in 6 months). I am now under 95kg (94.9 to be exact)

Have slowed up with the running. Yup, I got pains.... I get intermittent pain of a minor nature that crops up in different spots in and around my knees at different times of the day. Usually the pain may be there for 5 mins max, doesn't really crop up during walking and jogging, usually corrected by resting for a bit. Have seen a physical trainer and a doctor about this issue, both said it isn't anything to worry about at this stage, the trainer said the pain was from conditioning the joint the doctor reckons its a little inflamed. Thankfully it isn't injured. Am only doing about 1.25mi 4 days a week at this stage, may up it to about 1.5 this week see how it goes...

Bikeman982

hello again,

Weight now 209, have lost 83. 2 weeks to go for 6-month milestone. Aiming to get down to 204 by then (that equates to a loss of 40kg in 6 months). I am now under 95kg (94.9 to be exact)

Have slowed up with the running. Yup, I got pains.... I get intermittent pain of a minor nature that crops up in different spots in and around my knees at different times of the day. Usually the pain may be there for 5 mins max, doesn't really crop up during walking and jogging, usually corrected by resting for a bit. Have seen a physical trainer and a doctor about this issue, both said it isn't anything to worry about at this stage, the trainer said the pain was from conditioning the joint the doctor reckons its a little inflamed. Thankfully it isn't injured. Am only doing about 1.25mi 4 days a week at this stage, may up it to about 1.5 this week see how it goes...

Pain is a normal sign for change. As long as it is not a sharp or strong pain, it is probably OK.

The is an old saying - "No pain, no gain".

It is not easy to improve yourself physically and we commend your efforts.

Keep up the good work, take a day at a time.

default_biggrin

Australia is a really nice place to bike (says my dad). I wouldn't mind riding my bike in a nice scenic setting....

Bikeman982

NEXT UPDATE:

After 22 weeks, I have now lost 78.2 lbs, or 35.5kg. Am now 213.9.

Today at the gym I discovered jogging...

You will find that more and more physical type activities will open up for you as you get lighter and hopefully more flexible.

Jogging is just a small step away from running. With both you can lose a lot of weight (mostly anerobic).

Topic List: Go to Everything Else