Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Firescooby, September 16, 2006

I'm currently looking for a small car to commute in. I am looking for Corolla's, Prizm's, and Civic's. I owned a 1995 Corolla that was great, sold it about 4 years ago. I just sold my Tacoma and bought a 2500HD Duramax for towing, but also currently own a 2005 Sienna.

In my area (as in most) the Prizm's are quite cheaper. I am more familiar with the 1993-1997 generation than any of them. My budget is around $4k-4500 max. I'd like something 5 speed if possible.

What I'm wondering about is the 1998-2002 models mostly. I remember reading about oil usage with these models with sustained higher speed driving. My commute would be about 60 miles each way at around 70-80 mph. Most everything I'm looking at has around 100k-130k miles. Would like to buy something that I could keep for 2-3 years minimum (around 20-30k miles/year).

Any info/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

a prizm LSI could be a good car, fun in 5 speed. the 7afe is a pretty stout engine, few minor issues other than the oil seals may leak a little but thats real common with alot of motors.

the 98-02 1zzfe does seem to have a higher occurance of stuck rings and oil consumption than it should.

Bikeman982

Check out my cars - just what you like.

Naturally I recommend getting another 7th generation Corolla.

I made the mistake of buying a Chevy Nova (Corolla clone) in 1987 new.

The body, upholserty, etc were 100% crap. GM can ruin a wet dream.

Get the Corolla version.

the prizm i own (7th gen corolla) is identical to the corolla save for bumpers, grill, turn signals, steering wheel cover, and color choices.

Access-Denied (+1)

I've got a 96 1.6l geo prizm 5speed. Love the car. 170k miles. Biggest issue I have is pinging with low grade gas. Had to replace the starter around the 115k mile mark. Besides that great car. Need to replace the shocks/springs kinda a ruff ride in it. I travel atleast 70 miles 5 days a week in. At around 75-80mph. I get anywhere between 35-40 mpg. AC isn't the greatest either. I use very very little little. I'm guessing about 1/2qt over 5k miles. I would like to think I've keep good care of it. Oil changes (mobile 1), tranny fuild every 60k miles, radiator fuild, etc.

Bikeman982

I drive a 1994 Corolla and am very happy with it. I bought it from e-bay and didn't pay much for it.

I drive at least 70 miles per day, 6 days a week. It is a very good car - I get almost 30 MPG.

Topic List