Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Used Engine Vs. Rebuilt

Guest MarkD

Just learned that my 2000 Prizm needs a new engine (at least thats the preliminary Assessment - the mechanic has not taken the engine apart, but has apparently done what he can without taking it apart - that is, looked at the plugs, tested the pressure...). The car has 55,000 miles on it and we are going to have it repaired (don't want to unload it on another unsuspecting family like us(!) and I figure even if I have to spend $3,000 on it, we bought it for $5,400 and I would hope we'd still be about to get several years out of it after its fixed). Question: am I better off having the existing engine rebuilt, or getting a new used engine? My understanding is that either way can work, its a matter of making sure that I can trust the shop that would do the rebuild, or if its a new used engine, making sure we know that its just not another problem engine. Its also my understanding that putting in a new used engine would be a cheaper option, so we are ofcourse tempted by that.

Any input would be great.

It would boil down to what was wrong with the original engine. 55K miles on a 1ZZ-FE engine and needing a rebuild? Wow. The way you describe it - the car was dumped onto you from another owner to dealership that may have known of an existing problem. Sorry to hear about that.

You would be limited to buying a brand new engine, new rebuilt engine, rebuild existing engine, or swap with used engine.

If it the damage was limited to valvetrain issues - just replacing the head should be OK. If it is a spun bearing or worn crank journals - but heads are OK - then a short block would be OK.

Short block would encompass the parts below the heads - varies from place to place, though.

Long block would encompass the basic engine (block, heads, valvetrain, cams, crank, pistons, rods, bearings, compression test, etc.)

If the price was quoted at the $3K for a rebuild - you would be better served by going with an engine swap from a donor car and keeping the existing engine for parts.

Good Luck.

Topic List