Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Fuel Pressure Testing

Guest 90geoprizm

Does anyone know how to test fuel system pressure in a toyota? My geo prizm and my brothers camry both do not have a pressure port for a fuel pressure guage. I need to be able to see what the fuel pressure is on my brothers camry in order to be able to diagnose his intermittent stalling issue on his 93 camry.

There should be a pressure regulator and pulsation damper on the fuel rail (depending on model year). There isn't a port to directly hook up a pressure gauge like in some cars - you would have to look at the screw in the pulsation damper (high if pressure is good, low if there is no pressure) or buy a fuel tube to connect to the fuel line, before the rail. Then you could tee off a pressure gauge.

I would also look into simpler stuff like a bad EGR valve or PCV valve for the stalling issue. Might also want to check that the throttle body is clean, not missing any hoses or vacuum lines, all electrical lines have clean connections, and if pre-1995 - check self diagnostics (have to jumper pins for OBD I) or if 1995+ - check with scan tool. Could be a bad O2 sensor - if it hasn't already been changed.

Good Luck.

Guest 90geoprizm

well I know that the throttle body is clean because i cleaned it myself so thats ok...where is this dampener located its a 93 camry. I dont think it would be a bad 02 sensor because that should turn the MIL on but I dont know too much about foriegn cars so I could be wrong. I work on GM vehicles and im not acustomed to toyotas just yet. Which pins of the DLC do I have to jumper in order to get codes and is it a flash code system that will be displayed on the IPC ? The only reason I am not even considering the EGR valve or the oxygen sensor is because there is not MIL lamp on. Are there any common problems with 93 camrys that would cause this to happen? I really appreciate your input it helps tremendously.

If it is an electrical gremlin - could be pretty hard to nail down - the MIL may not light up if the sensor is not grossly out of spec.

The pulsation damper looks like the choke from an older carburator setup - should be on the end of the fuel rail with a screw on the top of it.

The pins to jumper to get the acess the self diagnostic system are TE1 and E1 under the hood (shoud be marked in the lid) - ignition to ON, but not running - jumper the connector - then read out the flashes on the CHECK ENGINE light (single flash every 1/4 second if OK).

Might also want to take a peek at the ignition system - other than fuel issues - the Camry was pretty much trouble free (5S-FE motor).

Good Luck.

Guest 90geoprizm

Ok thank you.... I have allready taken a look at the ignition system. I have replaced the ignition coil and ruled out the ignition module. The plugs and wires are all good the charging system and battery are good im gonna take a look at that dampener tomorrow and Ill check to see if it has any codes in it. I really appreciate your help

Topic List