Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Wives With Radar

By muzak, September 3, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

I got caught last month for washing my car grill in the kitchen sink and now my wife's super hearing heard something amiss again. I'm a guy and would like to know what's wrong with washing dishes and cleaning the potatoes and carrots in the sink at the same time??? I mean, the plates, etc. are in the same water and you eat off them. My argument was at least I rinsed them, but alass..had to do them all again manually.

The problem is a little thing called cross-contamination. That happens when bacteria from other sources contaminates food which is being prepared in proximity to other things going on at the time. Not all strains of bacteria will be completely killed off by the cooking process, and foods that could be eaten raw (like carrots) are particularly vulnerable. You could end up counting the bathroom floor tiles for the rest of the evening. You're wife's right about this one -- keep food you're preparing away from outside sources of bacterial contamination.

Bikeman982

I got caught last month for washing my car grill in the kitchen sink and now my wife's super hearing heard something amiss again. I'm a guy and would like to know what's wrong with washing dishes and cleaning the potatoes and carrots in the sink at the same time??? I mean, the plates, etc. are in the same water and you eat off them. My argument was at least I rinsed them, but alass..had to do them all again manually.

You put carrots and potatoes in the sink while washing dishes??

That is pretty unsanitary - food you will eat comes in contact with old food that may have germs.

Ti-Jean

What if I used the bathroom scale in the garage today to weigh my temporary spare and a full size wheel and tire? (The lady was gone shopping and I didn't tell her of my wrong doing).

1- Am I going to get sick?

2- Should I seek professionnal advice from a psy of some sort?

3- Or just hang around here hoping for the best?

4- None of the above

Bikeman982

What if I used the bathroom scale in the garage today to weigh my temporary spare and a full size wheel and tire? (The lady was gone shopping and I didn't tell her of my wrong doing).

1- Am I going to get sick?

2- Should I seek professionnal advice from a psy of some sort?

3- Or just hang around here hoping for the best?

4- None of the above

Do you eat your tires??

The lady will find out!!

You have to act as if she is watching all the time. It's one of those things.

At least I used an "anitbacterial soap". It's not my general thing to do, but was trying to "multitask".

Also...the benefit of doing that enabled the crock pot to auto clean itself and I didn't have to wash it.

Besides all that..I will be the only one eating it as the good wife cannot stand mushrooms or the "Mrs. Dash" stuff I put in it.

Ti-Jean

Muzak,

How complicated is it to remove the grill? Never thought of it.

Could it be stolen with the hood closed?

Remember when all VW's front grill emblems got stolen?

It was a punk kids fashion statement overhere...

antibacterial soap only means that bacteria will not grow inside the soap solution. Nothing more...

Wash dishes in the dishwasher separately from veggies

Yes, the so called "antibacterial" soaps really aren't capable of eliminating any more bacteria than ordinary soap. I think I once read of a test when swabs taken from hands washed with plain soap (like Ivory, for instance) and an antibacterial soap (Dial) were swabbed and the swabs "cultured" so the bacteria would flourish enough to be counted. Both swabs had virtually the same amount of bacteria - not very much. As a control, they swabbed hands which hadn't been washed for one hour -- and they had many times the amount of bacteria as the washed hands. The "antibacterial" soap didn't produce enough of a better result to justify it's higher cost -- which was the point of that particular test. I'm pretty sure I read this in Consumer Reports.

The bottom line is, it doesn't really matter which soap you wash your hands with -- just wash them. Even plain water, as long as it's clean enough to drink, will get the bacteria levels way down compared to doing nothing.

Bikeman982

Yes, the so called "antibacterial" soaps really aren't capable of eliminating any more bacteria than ordinary soap. I think I once read of a test when swabs taken from hands washed with plain soap (like Ivory, for instance) and an antibacterial soap (Dial) were swabbed and the swabs "cultured" so the bacteria would flourish enough to be counted. Both swabs had virtually the same amount of bacteria - not very much. As a control, they swabbed hands which hadn't been washed for one hour -- and they had many times the amount of bacteria as the washed hands. The "antibacterial" soap didn't produce enough of a better result to justify it's higher cost -- which was the point of that particular test. I'm pretty sure I read this in Consumer Reports.

The bottom line is, it doesn't really matter which soap you wash your hands with -- just wash them. Even plain water, as long as it's clean enough to drink, will get the bacteria levels way down compared to doing nothing.

Just don't wash the veggies at the same time you wash your hands - not very sensible.

Muzak,

Could it be stolen with the hood closed

It was just a few screws and some secured snaps, but you need the hood up to do it.

As for the other stuff about washing the veggies in the soap water...well maybe having a few beer at the time might have had something to do with it. After hearing what you guys thought of that, I guess I better not tell you how I took the hairy stuff off the corncobs I froze.

Bikeman982

Muzak,

It was just a few screws and some secured snaps, but you need the hood up to do it.

As for the other stuff about washing the veggies in the soap water...well maybe having a few beer at the time might have had something to do with it. After hearing what you guys thought of that, I guess I better not tell you how I took the hairy stuff off the corncobs I froze.

Used the wire brush normally used for scrubbing grease off auto parts??

Muzak,

At least greasy auto parts aren't a bacteria playground. Probably safer than washing your veggies with the dishes

On a similar topic, I have read that wrapping a whole fish in foil and running it through the dishwasher makes for a great tasting fish.

Bikeman982

Muzak,

At least greasy auto parts aren't a bacteria playground. Probably safer than washing your veggies with the dishes

On a similar topic, I have read that wrapping a whole fish in foil and running it through the dishwasher makes for a great tasting fish.

Does it come out smelling like a fish and dishwater soft??

I haven't tried it Bike, but read about it in the cooking section of the paper. It's supposedely makes great tasting fish!

default_biggrin Nice link - I'll have to try that for dinner tonight, if I can convince the lady of the house.
I haven't tried it Bike, but read about it in the cooking section of the paper. It's supposedely makes great tasting fish!

First, it is necessary to state that the dishwasher must be clean, and no dishwasher detergent is used during this off-beat cooking procedure.

The cooking process in use is just simple poaching. This requires sustained heat levels of around 140 degrees F. for approximately 15 minutes per pound of fish to be cooked. The fish should be in a virtually air-tight pouch of aluminum foil -- one of those clear plastic cooking bags, sealed with duct tape, would be a good thing to put over the foil-pouched fish. If the fish is to be "stuffed" with things like onions or other vegatables, they should be sauteed in a hot pan first, since they won't cook well in the pouch. The dishwasher will produce enough heat to cook the fish, but not anything inside, so this method would work better with fairly thin fillets, rather than whole fish.

You should first ensure that your dishwasher's heater element is working well enough to get the water temperature up to 160 deg. F.

BTW, I've never tried this myself, and even though it would work, absolutely would not recommend it. It's just as easy to poach fish in a pan of water on the stove. The reason I can think of doing it this way would be if you had a malfunctioning stove but a properly functional dishwasher. Even then, I think I'd build a campfire in the backyard before trying anything like this!

Bikeman982

Seems to me that if you washed the dishes at the same time, then your appliance would be concurrently tasking.

I would never eat food that is not properly prepared (that includes food from the dishwasher).

One episode of Seinfield had Kramer making salad in his shower. People loved the salad until they heard how it was prepared. Anyone see that show??

One episode of Seinfield had Kramer making salad in his shower. People loved the salad until they heard how it was prepared. Anyone see that show??
I think it's time I got back on the day shift. I was looking at videos the other day and saw tons of stuff in their umpteenth season on dvd. I've never seen an episode of Cheers/Kramer/Sopranos...or any other long lasting show. After many years of working from 4pm till 2am I think I must be missing something.

One question though...what season are The Beverly Hillbillies in right now??

Bikeman982

I think it's time I got back on the day shift. I was looking at videos the other day and saw tons of stuff in their umpteenth season on dvd. I've never seen an episode of Cheers/Kramer/Sopranos...or any other long lasting show. After many years of working from 4pm till 2am I think I must be missing something.

One question though...what season are The Beverly Hillbillies in right now??

You, really have led a sheltered life by working those hours. I bet you still don't know who shot J.R!

You, really have led a sheltered life by working those hours. I bet you still don't know who shot J.R!

Oh, I didn't work nights then and watched that show. I think it was some female relative or something like that.

Bikeman982

Oh, I didn't work nights then and watched that show. I think it was some female relative or something like that.

Just kidding - it was the question of the day for the end-of-season episode of Dallas.

J.R. Ewing was shot by --- Everyone! I saw a "reunion" special of Dallas in which they showed clips of each and every member of the cast, smoking revolver in hand, reacting after just having just blown J.R. away! They even had J.R. himself do it! However, I don't remember who was supposed to have actually done it in the series.

Apparently it was his wife's sister whom I can't recall the name. I was too busy playing Colecovision at the time....and still do.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else