Search Corolland!

Fram Blashpemy ?

by bhp02, August 26, 2006

I want gurus opinions on Fram filters, whether they are worth the

risk ???

Any experience with them ??

they can be had for the cheap.

thanks guys,

i know people who swear by them and people that say theyre total crap. both groups of people are pretty knowledgable.

Bikeman982

It is what I use (only because they are readily available and also fairly inexpensive. I think if they are changed at every other oil change then they work fine. I am sure there are better ones available (and also more expensive ones).

i use em because my car came with a bag of them.

In that case, I am going to buy a bagload, they are cheap, cheap,

cheap.

Bikeman982

cheap.

Can you get a discount when you buy a bagload??

cheap.

There is a promotion from time to time, buy Castrol GTX

on sale and you get a filter coupon,,,, ie free Fram filter.

Check your local promotion advertisements,,,,,

It is a great deal no matter how you look at it.

Bikeman982

cheap.

How much Castrol GTX do you have to buy and at what price??

I've read that Fram makes different levels of quality for their oil filters. The ones at wally world..forget it. I'm no filter engineer, but according to some in the forums at BITOG ( www.bobistheoilguy.com ), they say they're junk. Splurge a buck or two extra and get Napa or Wix. Cheap insurance. Air filters are ok.

Bikeman982

I've read that Fram makes different levels of quality for their oil filters. The ones at wally world..forget it. I'm no filter engineer, but according to some in the forums at BITOG ( www.bobistheoilguy.com ), they say they're junk. Splurge a buck or two extra and get Napa or Wix. Cheap insurance. Air filters are ok.
Do they come in little orange boxes?? I have never bought one from wally world.

cheap.

How much Castrol GTX do you have to buy and at what price??

I think it is a national promotion in Canada and perhaps in the US.

10 bucks CDN for 4 litres and get 1 filter free.

I think that it is a manufacturer type of a promotion,,,, the way the

containers were labelled.

This promotion has been around for years, off and on.

x2

Purolator Premium or PureOne aren't bad either. I use Napa Gold myself.

Toyota OEM all the way! default_biggrin They're even cheaper than some premium filters at crappy tire.

I saw that Castrol GTX promo too. Heard they're good. I want to try putting one litre of the stuff in our M1 fill and see if that can last 8000km... but I have enough Esso points to redeem for 8 litres of M1... I'm torn. default_tongue

Ti-Jean

Same here. After much reading on BITOG, I now stay away from Fram. Never had any problems but who can tell that the media didn't collapse or that the anti-drain back valve didn't leak or that the bypass valve was fonctionning properly at the end of the OCI if you didn't cut the filter open to see? Nobody cuts filters open.

So my searches brought me to use either Napa Gold 1396 (longer version) or Toyota OEM, now 90915-YZZF1 for the longer model. A box of 10 cost me $43.US in June at a NH dealership.

So a good to very good quality filter can be obtained for very little dough over a crappy Fram. The Napa Golds cost me $6.18 Cdn last year and crappy tire wants about $5.49 for a Motomaster made by Fram.

The choice is obvious.

I was a big FRAM guy for as long as I could remember - dad was using Fram for decades - no problems at all. But it changed for me the last several years - two bad Fram filters (back to back oil changes on a Camry) - on 3000 mile conventional oil changes, filter media became completely loose in one, collapsed in the other. Wasn't the cheapy filter either - it was the Tough-Guard variants. Later I've heard they improved the quality - last year tried it on a Dodge truck - 500 miles later due to funky oil pressure ready - pulled the filter off, media collapsed again. I've sent the Fram filter that collapsed back to Fram - but haven't gotten anything back, not even a postcard, etc. So for me - NO FRAM.

Bikeman982

I have been using the little Fram 4967 for my cars and have not seen any problem with them.

Topic List