Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

40yrs Of Corolla

By TheDarkKnight, August 25, 2006

Just saw this on the net. (I think the link will work for about 1wk)

Just wondered if there was anybody that is able to attend. I dont have any plans to be back in Tokyo until next spring... default_sad

Didnt realize that its been 40yrs... I feel old.

I think the only other close competition in-class would be the Civic (born in the late 60s?)

I guess Wranglers (Jeep) have been around forever (longer)... Wonder which has greater volume...

Japan Times

tdk

Bikeman982

Just saw this on the net. (I think the link will work for about 1wk)Just wondered if there was anybody that is able to attend. I dont have any plans to be back in Tokyo until next spring... default_sad

Didnt realize that its been 40yrs... I feel old.

I think the only other close competition in-class would be the Civic (born in the late 60s?)

I guess Wranglers (Jeep) have been around forever (longer)... Wonder which has greater volume...

Japan Times

tdk

Would be great to be there, but I am unfortunately unable to attend.

thats a long running name!

Bikeman982

And only 7 characters.

(C-1, O-2, R-3, O-4, L-5, L-6, A-7).

Bikeman982

It is interesting to see the changes and development of all the Corollas. Many style changes and technological improvements have come about in the past 40 years. Who knows what the next 40 will produce!!

Bikeman982

There are cars that have been around a lot longer, but Toyota certainly has appealed to the masses.

There are cars that have been around a lot longer, but Toyota certainly has appealed to the masses.
Amen to that, Bikeman. Here's to the next 40 years!

Bikeman982

Amen to that, Bikeman. Here's to the next 40 years!

I have always been pro-American (born and raised in the good old USA), but when it comes to autos, I think the foreign cars have better qualities.

I really feel old now, I boought the 76 corolla as my first

car. Was not a great car in those days,,,,

the american cars were better(things like the carbureator, power, etc)

Bikeman982

I really feel old now, I boought the 76 corolla as my first

car. Was not a great car in those days,,,,

the american cars were better(things like the carbureator, power, etc)

My first car was a 1963 Pontiac LeMans. It was an old taxi and my mother purchased it for a whopping $40.

I drove it for about a year (it had no brakes) until the wheel bearings froze up and I ended up junking it.

Once the upper ball joint broke as I was driving it down a bumpy back road. Good thing I didn't have my thumb in the steering wheel, because the tire came loose and turned flat (parallel to the ground). The steering wheel whipped clockwise and the car slammed straight off the road into the sidewalk. It cost me for towing and $26 to have the upper ball joint replaced. That was kind of a scary experience. I didn't know much about cars back then (1972).

And only 7 characters.

I think we've accidentally stumbled onto a "key" to a code for sending secret messages within the Corolla forum. We use the numerical values attached to the letters in the name "corolla" as above, but both of the "l's" have the same value (5). We then start with the alphabet from "A," and assign values to all of the characters remaining in numerical sequence, starting with the first letter NOT included in the word Corolla, i.e. "A" (6). So, "B" is 2, "C" is still 1, "D" is 7, "E" is 8, and so on -- skipping the remaining letters in the word "Corolla." Then, to send a secret message, you just assign the sequential number values to each letter, remembering to use the non-sequential numbers assigned to the letters C O R O L (L) A. Ooops, there is a repeating "O," so it ends up being 2. So ---C = 1, O = 2, R =3, L = 4, A = 5. You know what to do.

I have too much time on my hands during my lunch hour!

Bikeman982

And only 7 characters.

I think we've accidentally stumbled onto a "key" to a code for sending secret messages within the Corolla forum. We use the numerical values attached to the letters in the name "corolla" as above, but both of the "l's" have the same value (5). We then start with the alphabet from "A," and assign values to all of the characters remaining in numerical sequence, starting with the first letter NOT included in the word Corolla, i.e. "A" (6). So, "B" is 2, "C" is still 1, "D" is 7, "E" is 8, and so on -- skipping the remaining letters in the word "Corolla." Then, to send a secret message, you just assign the sequential number values to each letter, remembering to use the non-sequential numbers assigned to the letters C O R O L (L) A. Ooops, there is a repeating "O," so it ends up being 2. So ---C = 1, O = 2, R =3, L = 4, A = 5. You know what to do.

I have too much time on my hands during my lunch hour!

I think you are reaching Larry.

'corolla' is merely an anglicised word- the Japanese word is actually 'Korola', the 4 distinct syllables means in Japanese it would be represented by 4 symbols in the Katakana alphabet (I did a bit of Japanese in high school)

Max

Merriam Webster online:

Main Entry: co·rol·la

Pronunciation: k&-'rä-l&, -'rO-

Function: noun

Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, diminutive of corona

: the part of a flower that consists of the separate or fused petals and constitutes the inner whorl of the perianth

We are driving a portion of a flower! default_ohmy Corolla is also a popular vacation town in North Carolina's Outer Banks.

Bikeman982

Corolla is also the siter to the Corona (as in type of cigar). Corona is also a name of a beer.

• 1,424 posts
I think the only other close competition in-class would be the Civic (born in the late 60s?)I guess Wranglers (Jeep) have been around forever (longer)... Wonder which has greater volume...

The Toyota Corolla is the best selling car of all time.

From our Corolland.com homepage "The Toyota Corolla is sold in over 140 countries. Now surpassing 30 million cars sold, the Corolla is the world’s best-selling car - ever."

Bikeman982

I think the only other close competition in-class would be the Civic (born in the late 60s?)I guess Wranglers (Jeep) have been around forever (longer)... Wonder which has greater volume...

From our Corolland.com homepage "The Toyota Corolla is sold in over 140 countries. Now surpassing 30 million cars sold, the Corolla is the world’s best-selling car - ever."

There has to be something good about a car that has lasted so long and is so popular.

I think the way the 30 million is calculated is at the least biased. I mean, the only reason the number is so high is because Toyota decided to give the same name to a series of different vehicles. The first gen Corolla is nothing like the current generation. Mechanically, they are totally different. Physically, they are totally different. Price wise, the newer one is much more expensive. If Ford had decided to continue using the brand "Model T", that would be the best selling vehicle of all time.

It is more genuine to count the number of Corolla of a particular generation, and compare that to other makers, like the VW Beetle. I bet the VW Beetle beat the Corolla hands down. The old school VW Beetle was still being produced in Mexico until very recently.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else