Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Blu Ray Discs

By muzak, August 23, 2006

I wouldn't worry just yet - still the debate as far as which format to go with.

Blu-Ray (Sony, Dell, HP, Hitachi, LG Electronics, Matsusnipa (Panasonic), Mitsubishi, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, TDK, Thomson (GE/RCA))

versus

HD-DVD (Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, Memory-Tech, Microsoft, and others)

The DL DVD will not disappear - probably will complement these formats, kind of like how CD-R/RW complement the DVD+-R/RW.

I can see this being a BetaMax vs VHS type of fight again. But with this time, looks like Sony has more heavyweight players on its side.

HD DVD can be put into practice more cheaply than Blu Ray, those blue lasers still are not cheap to make.

HD DVD can be put into practice more cheaply than Blu Ray, those blue lasers still are not cheap to make.
No kidding: It seems on that ad that they are about 50 bucks a piece for the heavy duty ones. But I guess if you buy a 100 pack it may only cost you about $4000 bucks if you get a deal. Alright!!

Add to that the first Blu-ray devices you can get a hold of will NOT play commercial Blu-ray discs - only ones that you have authored on that machine. A big thanks to the copy protection technology. The almost non-existent availability of HDCP enabled graphics cards and playback software is partly to blame.

Oh well - at least the prices have dropped from around $1500 for a recorder to around $750. Once the Playstation 3 comes out - I'll bet that people will get it just for the Blu-ray capability that undercuts the other players by a good bit.

It would probably be best to wait to see how the super high capacity DVD formats play out. One will probably emerge as the "standard".

Bikeman982

Yeah, but does it fit in your car??

Yeah, but does it fit in your car??
Eventually - they have DVD and DVD-DL capabilities in many systems, some OEM, some aftermarket. They just have to come to some standard is all.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else