Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000-2002 Prizm 3spd Vs 4spd Auto

By Sean, August 21, 2006

Hopefully a prizm question is OK here!

I have been considering a 2000-2002 prizm as my next used car purchase. (My wife has the fancy 2006 Corolla!)

I'd really like a manual transmission but it seems 99.99% of the used prizm's around here are automatic transmissions. Highway MPG is important to me so I want the optional 4 spd automatic.

How can I quickly tell if the car has a 4spd or 3spd automatic? Is there a VIN code that tells the tale? Do the numbers on the shift lever or a button somewhere identify this? I'm afraid if I ask most owners on the phone they won't have a clue and I don't want to make unnecessary trips.

Does anybody know any major issues with the 2000-2002 prizms?

If the owner can find it - tranmission codes for the 3-speed is A131L, the 4-speed is A245E (usually stamped on the transmission itself).

Unfortunantely the VIN doesn't have that information - but the model code does. The model code usually on a metal tag on sticker on the door/doorjam - starts with ZZE110 X----, where the X are specific letters for trim and equipment level. But this is more complicated than it needs to be.

Sure fire way - if they have an O/D button - that means they have the 4-speed. The 3-speed, as far as I know, do not have the O/D button.

Sure fire way - if they have an O/D button - that means they have the 4-speed. The 3-speed, as far as I know, do not have the O/D button.

That works for me! I see it is a small button under the larger one used to disengage the shift lever. Thanks.

Bikeman982

That works for me! I see it is a small button under the larger one used to disengage the shift lever. Thanks.

It is the same thing for the Corollas as well.

Yes, exact same way - 4-speed Corollas will have the O/D button on the shifter (little button under the shift lock button). The 3-speed will not have this feature.

Bikeman982

I have one with the O/D button on it. I have never used the button. Is that to disable the overdrive for steep hills? I don't really have any hills where I commute.

I have one with the O/D button on it. I have never used the button. Is that to disable the overdrive for steep hills? I don't really have any hills where I commute.
Normally you should keep that on all the time as a fuel saver - but there are conditions that might make use of it off - ie. engine braking coming off big hill, keeps the transmission from "hunting" around the gears - good for towing or running up a strong grade, and slowing on low traction surfaces - helps with slowing down, since you are using more engine compression to brake slightly.

Bikeman982

Normally you should keep that on all the time as a fuel saver - but there are conditions that might make use of it off - ie. engine braking coming off big hill, keeps the transmission from "hunting" around the gears - good for towing or running up a strong grade, and slowing on low traction surfaces - helps with slowing down, since you are using more engine compression to brake slightly.

I do keep it on all the time. I don't have any of those occassions and the O/D is better for my fuel mileage.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)