Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Batteries

By muzak, August 15, 2006

My wife inadvertantly left the dome light on on our '03 Echo in the summer when the car was only a year old. The car wouldn't start the next morning...completely dead. Her father had a brand new battery, never used, and that new battery would no longer hold a charge. I learned a lesson then not to let a battery go dead even if it's new as it was useless after a couple of years sitting idle. Most know about that probably, but this warning is for those that don't.

Bikeman982

I have a battery charger with a guage on it to tell me state of battery condition.

I always have a few extra batteries in the garage, but occassionally I put them on the charger to keep them going.

My wife inadvertantly left the dome light on on our '03 Echo in the summer when the car was only a year old. The car wouldn't start the next morning...completely dead. Her father had a brand new battery, never used, and that new battery would no longer hold a charge. I learned a lesson then not to let a battery go dead even if it's new as it was useless after a couple of years sitting idle. Most know about that probably, but this warning is for those that don't.

I had that happened not too long ago. The trunk didn't close properly and the trunk light drained it. The moment I found it didn't start, I pulled it and sat a computer power supply on top of the -ve terminal, +12V to the +ve post, turned it on and ran it overnight. It won't properly charge this way, so the next day I took it to crappy tire for a test. Turns out to be still good and they charged it for free. As of this moment it still holds a charge. default_smile

Try my computer power supply trick. It may save a car battery or two down the road. default_biggrin

(EDIT: I'm in a pinch and don't have a proper charger. If you have one, by all means use it.)

actually an old PSU will charge the battery OK, but be careful. a 250W power supply could supply enough amperage to hurt the battery. batteries should be charged slowly to avoid damage, sometimes those 1 hour fast charges can kill a battery faster than being drained completely!

So Musak -- what happened? Were you able to recharge the battery in the Echo? Or did you have to buy a new battery?

I ran into a similar problem last winter. On a particularly cold night, my Corolla did the uncommanded lights-on trick, and my battery was dead the next day. Fortunately it was my day off; and being an amateur radio operator, I had a 12 volt power supply which I was able to use to get a small charge on the battery and then get the car started. That same day I went to Sears and purchased a "jumper box" and I now keep it charged at all times. It has also proved handy to power my small 12 volt air compresser which I use to keep my tires properly inflated, on both my Corolla and my bicycle! I did end up using it to start the car on yet another cold morning -- and this time it really saved my bacon because I was on my way to work! I'm a Paratransit bus driver, and if I miss my start time, my day's work is given to a "list" operator. So, the day's pay that jump box saved me paid for it many times over! Now I keep it in the trunk on any day the temperatures are forecast to dip below freezing.

Bikeman982

So Musak -- what happened? Were you able to recharge the battery in the Echo? Or did you have to buy a new battery?

I ran into a similar problem last winter. On a particularly cold night, my Corolla did the uncommanded lights-on trick, and my battery was dead the next day. Fortunately it was my day off; and being an amateur radio operator, I had a 12 volt power supply which I was able to use to get a small charge on the battery and then get the car started. That same day I went to Sears and purchased a "jumper box" and I now keep it charged at all times. It has also proved handy to power my small 12 volt air compresser which I use to keep my tires properly inflated, on both my Corolla and my bicycle! I did end up using it to start the car on yet another cold morning -- and this time it really saved my bacon because I was on my way to work! I'm a Paratransit bus driver, and if I miss my start time, my day's work is given to a "list" operator. So, the day's pay that jump box saved me paid for it many times over! Now I keep it in the trunk on any day the temperatures are forecast to dip below freezing.

As long as you can get enough of a charge to the battery to start the car, the alternator will charge it up after that.

Yes, the Echo battery just had to be charged but it was the brand new heavy duty battery that wouldn't hold a charge. It was a couple of years old and never used as her father bought two as they were on sale. Not much of a sale when you have to dispose of one of them.

Bikeman982

Yes, the Echo battery just had to be charged but it was the brand new heavy duty battery that wouldn't hold a charge. It was a couple of years old and never used as her father bought two as they were on sale. Not much of a sale when you have to dispose of one of them.

Some places will pay you for your old battery, when you buy a replacement from them.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else