Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1997 Aftermarket Stereo Install

by deputyjones, August 2, 2006 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Just decided to upgrade the stereo in my CE and it looks like the deck will fit in the place of the factory one without adjustments or the need for any install kit. Does anyone know if this is the case, or if I need to buy an install kit for brackets, etc. would you recommend a certain one?

Thanks in advance

get the kit, you'll need the wiring harness atleast, also you may have a hard time getting the mounting sleeve into the stock location.

Bikeman982

What kind of stereo?

What kind of stereo?

It is a pioneer in-dash CD player about 6 years old. I already bought a wiring harness. I was just wondering if I would need the kit with the plastic sleeve, etc. Is there one you would suggest?

Also, I am not sure how to get the plastic cover over the stereo and heat controls off. How is that attached and is their a special tool to remove it?

Bikeman982

What kind of stereo?

It is a pioneer in-dash CD player about 6 years old. I already bought a wiring harness. I was just wondering if I would need the kit with the plastic sleeve, etc. Is there one you would suggest?

Also, I am not sure how to get the plastic cover over the stereo and heat controls off. How is that attached and is their a special tool to remove it?

I think you will need the kit to adapt your cars wiring to the CD player.

No special tools required to remove the plastic around the stereo. There are screws on the underside that you remove, then carefully pull out from dash.

I know that on the 8th gen Corolla (1998-2002) - there are brackets that need to be transfered from the old deck to the new one, since the 7th and 8th gen are very similar - I assume the radio is the same way.

Most have threaded holes where the bracket is supposed to go - should be plug and go with the brackets. Wiring harness is nice thing to have (wiring looks nice, no splices needed) - keeps you from chopping up the existing harness, but not 100% necessary. The trim around the radio was designed for the OEM headunit. The aftermarket headunit will have a trim adapter in most cases - but I found that it doesn't quite flush with the rest of the dash.

A comprehesive dash kit would probably have the parts you need - but most of the time I find that they require some modification of the trim panel. Hard to say exactly for sure - chassis and front face design varys from unit to unit. One unit might look good without a trim kit, but another might look terrible. Have to just through the unit in there and see what it looks like and go from there.

default_sad i wish i could get my stereo to sit flush with the dash.

now_driving_VW

Toyotas traditional use brackets & bezels. To install the next stereo, you transfer the brackets from the stock radio to the new radio and bolt the radio in and replace the bezel.

iirc... ISO DIN mounting

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm