Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Basin Wrenches

By tashirosgt, July 22, 2006

I was replacing a faucet and wishing that I had a "basin wrench" to try. If they work on faucets (especially in removing old corroded nuts) then it looks like this would be a good automotive tool for certain situations. Do mechanics have a similar tool? Or don't such wrenches work well?

Probably not well suited for automotive work - tends to crush whatevern you are trying to remove unless the item is sufficiently strong enough to resist the pressure on it.

I would say a slip-jaw pliers or channel-lock pliers would be very equivalent to those basin wrenches - but you can easily control how much force you are applying compared to the basin wrneches.

we use 'monkey wrenches' too, usually only on things that arent going to be reused.

i use one plumbing tool on cars all the time, its this funny thing that looks like a cross, its used to remove the integrated strainer from kitchen sinks. the 2 prongs on the back are PERFECT for getting exhaust hangers off.

Can you give a link to a page that has a picture of that tool? I don't think I've seen one.

In fact, perhaps I should give this link to a "basin wrench":

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...19558-943-03811

It isn't a pipe wrench. The head pivots on the shaft and the above picture doesn't show it pivoted like it would be when you use it on a sink. It would be pivoted so it was at a 90 deg angle to the shaft. That way you can stick the end up under the faucet and use the handle to tighten the connections between the supply lines and the faucet valve.

Bikeman982

You can use vice grips. That is what I use as a last resort when the nut or bolt starts to strip. It can give a good grip.

Actually, I can see where a basin wrench could come in handy, for grasping a nut in an inaccessible area, perhaps. However, I'm with everyone else, for most applications which require a grippy but adjustable grasp on something, a pair of Channel locks or vice-grips would be the tool of choice.

Bikeman982

Most places on a car have limited space and a basin wrench might not fit.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else