Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Corolla Spark Plug Change

by franklin pug July 2, 2006

I need some help changing/inspecting my spark plugs (4 cyl 2003 corolla).

I know i need the iridium ones, and will purchase them of course. I opened to hood to look for the plugs (i used to change them quite frequently on my 1989 Hyundai Sonata - piece of crap) and was greeted by the plastic engine cover. After in used a socket wrench (10mm i think) to remove the nuts, i couldnt remove the plastic cover becasue of 2 little plastic fasteners. How do i remove them? I don't want to force them in case i break them.

Also, what the heck do i do after that? Im not familiar with all the techincal stuff, so if someone could walk me through it i would appreciate it. If anone has pictures, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

I need some help changing/inspecting my spark plugs (4 cyl 2003 corolla).

I know i need the iridium ones, and will purchase them of course. I opened to hood to look for the plugs (i used to change them quite frequently on my 1989 Hyundai Sonata - piece of crap) and was greeted by the plastic engine cover. After in used a socket wrench (10mm i think) to remove the nuts, i couldnt remove the plastic cover becasue of 2 little plastic fasteners. How do i remove them? I don't want to force them in case i break them.

Also, what the heck do i do after that? Im not familiar with all the techincal stuff, so if someone could walk me through it i would appreciate it. If anone has pictures, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Just turn the plastic fasteners like you would a bolt (counter-clockwise). Mine came off using my hand, but you could use pliers. They may break though, they get brittle from the engine heat. I think they're around a buck from the dealer. Then you'll see the 4 coils, each held with 2 bolts. Take out the bolts holding the wire loom, and move it back. Disconnect the wire connector at a coil, remove the bolts, lift the coil and move out of the way. The plug is down in the hole. Do one at a time, although it's hard to confuse them.

thanks for the advice!

when i remove the plugs and put in the new ones, do i need to tighten them to a particular pressure? if so, how do i do that?

thanks for the advice!

when i remove the plugs and put in the new ones, do i need to tighten them to a particular pressure? if so, how do i do that?

The spark plugs should be tightened to about 13 lb/ft torque. If you have a good sense of touch you can gauge this from when the crush ring flattens. Otherwise, buy/borrow/steal a cheapy torque wrench and use it to gauge. Don't forget to add a little high temperature anti-seize to the threads of the spark plugs. I've found the easiest to use is the crayon variety... neat and quick.

The spark plugs are waaay down there so you'll need a extension in addition to your spark plug socket.

That would be a torque number

Spark plug 18 lbf

Ignition coil 80 in. lbf NOTE THIS IS INCH POUNDS!

I suggest getting a torque wrencg that will do inch pounds.

I picked one up from Autozone for $20 you can convert inch pounds to ft pounds.

Note ouroboros You beat me to it...

From the service manual the 2003 + states 18 ftlbs vs 13 on the previous models.. Not sure why...

I use the inch/lb wrench that I use on my bike. The anti-seize is a must, and also pic up some dielectric grease.

... i couldnt remove the plastic cover becasue of 2 little plastic fasteners. How do i remove them? I don't want to force them in case i break them.

Being the impatient person I am, I just busted the plastic pieces on both of my Corollas. No harm done. Actually I can see no good reason why they're even on there. Now that the clips are busted, taking off the engine cover is 30 seconds faster than before! :-) Hoooray! I win!

Both of mine broke off as well. I do believe they get very brittle with the engine heat… I might pop into the dealer ship and see what they run… But I agree I haven't seen or heard any difference with them off. I wondered if that cover might rattle about without them…

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)