Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Corolla Manufacturer Warranty Question

by WeaponX, July 2, 2006

Hi, just joined the forums here. I have a '03 Corolla CE that was in a car accident before (2 years ago). The engine (I think) started to act up recently. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it sounds like a "smooth" (if you can call it that, grinding noise. It's just a really annoying sound and only started happening a few days ago. Is this the engine?

What does the manufacturer warranty cover, if anything at all? Does it apply to cars that had accidents before?

I have one more question default_biggrin Not sure how long this has been going on, but whenever I accelerate (slowly or fast) it has a loud noise...friend said he thought I had a muffler. What could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Max

Toyota's new car warranty is 3 years 36,000 miles bumper to bumper and 5 years, 60,000 miles powertrain. I can't tell from your post if you are the original owner. If you bought it used with no warranty, you'll have to pay for repairs yourself. If you could be more specific about the loud noise on acceleration, and the grinding noise, we could take a better guess at what's going on. Either noise could be anything from belts to bearings. I hope your friend is right and that you do have a muffler. default_blink Seriously, your muffler may be shot and causing noise, especially if it gets louder when you accelerate, and quiets when you let off the gas.

Thanks for the reply Max.

The car and insurance is under my dad's name, but yes, I'm the original owner. This was a brand new car.

Let's see if I can describe that noise better (when my feet is on the brake). Not really good with the inner workings of a car. But it sounds like it might be a belt that's stuck or not running/spinng normally. I will open the hood and see if I can hear it clearer there.

Will they cover the engine (or is it muffler) under the warranty since it was in an accident? I have till around November this year for the 3 year. It's under 30,000 miles.

Just afraid that one of the belts will snap or the engine will fail when someone is driving the car. So want to repair this as soon as possible, especially if Toyota's warranty will cover it.

Thanks.

Bikeman982

Thanks for the reply Max.

The car and insurance is under my dad's name, but yes, I'm the original owner. This was a brand new car.

Let's see if I can describe that noise better (when my feet is on the brake). Not really good with the inner workings of a car. But it sounds like it might be a belt that's stuck or not running/spinng normally. I will open the hood and see if I can hear it clearer there.

Will they cover the engine (or is it muffler) under the warranty since it was in an accident? I have till around November this year for the 3 year. It's under 30,000 miles.

Just afraid that one of the belts will snap or the engine will fail when someone is driving the car. So want to repair this as soon as possible, especially if Toyota's warranty will cover it.

Thanks.

Do a good inspection and you should be able to determine if your belts are worn. You can also listen when the car is running and you will hear anything that is abnormal. If it looks or sounds bad, it probably is.

Max

Since you are under warranty (and an accident shouldn't change that, unless it caused the noise somehow...) go ahead and take it to the dealership for diagnosis and repair. They should ocver whatever is going on under your hood. If your muffler need to be replaced, it won't be covered, but Toyota does a lifetime warranty on its mufflers. Not that they last a lifetime, but they do replace them free of charge.

If the car was written off as an insurance "total", your warranty could be voided. If not, you have a 5 year powertrain warranty.

Now, if the accident or repairs created the current problem, the dealer may not repair it on warranty.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)