Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Hard To Start 2000 Corolla

by crypticlineage, June 30, 2006

Since yesterday I have been having problem starting the car. It eventually starts but takes at least 5-7 seconds of cranking before it does. Here is how it goes:

I put the key in and turn it, the only thing I hear is CLICK CLICK CLICK while all the lights on the panel are trying to light up, but they cant, then if I still keep cranking, the engine starts turning very slowly, sounding like wowowowowo and then it finally gives in and starts up.

First I thought that the battery was leaking somewhere, but after I drove for half an hour, I stopped at the grocery store for 15 minutes and then had the same starting problem when I came back to the car.

Is it my starter? I dont think its the plugs because once it starts up, it drives without issues until its time for startup again.

I was going to put the car on sale this week, but now I need to rectify this problem before I can do so.

All help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Could be anything from corrosion on the battery terminals to a bad starter.

I would check all connections, starting with the battery terminals - make sure they are free of any corrosion (special brush to do just that - or you can use something like 3M scouring pads and a mix of baking soda and water - wear gloves).

Check the battery cables themselves - make sure there are no nicks or cuts over its length. Check the wiring connections to the starter - sometimes those bolts get badly corroded or vibrate loose over time.

If all look good - have the battery and starter tested at an autoparts store. Many provide this service for free. Using a voltmeter to test the battery will not really help - as you have to load the battery down to get a more realistic reading.

Bikeman982

Usually a clicking sound indicates bad electrical connection. Normally I remove the connections to the battery and clean them off and re-install tightly. It could also be the ground wire coming off the battery to the block.

Occassionally it means the battery has a bad cell and not enough charge to start your car right away. You can check the battery voltage and each cell with a hydrometer.

check the starter solenoid. similar "click click" starting problem turned out to a bad starter solenoid for me.

check the starter solenoid. similar "click click" starting problem turned out to a bad starter solenoid for me.

I think the clicking noise comes from the starter solenoid since its essentially a switch. Still, there are contact points to check on the starter and perhaps they are carboned up and need to be cleaned. Also, as the previous poster suggested, its a good idea now to clean off your battery terminals so that the rest of your electrical systems are un-burdened. If your battery is a Delco Freedom check the "green eye" atop the battery. A healthy battery will have a strong glowing green eye. A dim or non-existent green eye is cause for concern.

Bikeman982

I think the clicking noise comes from the starter solenoid since its essentially a switch. Still, there are contact points to check on the starter and perhaps they are carboned up and need to be cleaned. Also, as the previous poster suggested, its a good idea now to clean off your battery terminals so that the rest of your electrical systems are un-burdened. If your battery is a Delco Freedom check the "green eye" atop the battery. A healthy battery will have a strong glowing green eye. A dim or non-existent green eye is cause for concern.

Good points - all possible causes.

Battery contacts, battery condition, solenoid (on starter), and also ground connection.

Thank you every one for suggestions. I was out of town for the last few days and just got in today. Today when I started the car, it made the clicking sound again but started in about 2 seconds, so I thought its okay to drive and off I went to the grocery store. BIG MISTAKE! I finish shopping, come back to car, and it is not willing to start. After several tries and whining clicks, I go into the store again, to get some sandpaper to clean off the battery terminals. There was certainly some deposition on the terminals, I cleaned it off and it would still not start. Then someone took pity on me and offerred to jump the battery. Viola! Car started as normal.

Now how many of the above hypotheses can be eliminated? What should I do, check the battery first or just replace it? Is it a DIY job?

Bikeman982

Thank you every one for suggestions. I was out of town for the last few days and just got in today. Today when I started the car, it made the clicking sound again but started in about 2 seconds, so I thought its okay to drive and off I went to the grocery store. BIG MISTAKE! I finish shopping, come back to car, and it is not willing to start. After several tries and whining clicks, I go into the store again, to get some sandpaper to clean off the battery terminals. There was certainly some deposition on the terminals, I cleaned it off and it would still not start. Then someone took pity on me and offerred to jump the battery. Viola! Car started as normal.

Now how many of the above hypotheses can be eliminated? What should I do, check the battery first or just replace it? Is it a DIY job?

When you crank on the starter (try to start the car) and it does not start, it draws a lot of current (power) from the battery. Chances are you just need to get your battery charged.

I have a battery charger that tells me the charge on the battery and I use that to check it's condition.

I would get a battery charger with a meter and charge up the battery. You can also get a new battery if yours is old and due for a change.

The fact that your car started when jumped means that the fault lies in a low battery charge.

Battery charging or changing is definitely easy enough to do.

I have several spare batteries in my garage and change them frequently as needed. I can get them (practically new) at my local junkyard for only $5. It's a very good deal. They also sell jumper cables for $5. I have a set for every car.

My suggestion - charge the battery.

Second suggestion - change the battery (if old).

Third have someone do suggestions one or two above.

When you crank on the starter (try to start the car) and it does not start, it draws a lot of current (power) from the battery. Chances are you just need to get your battery charged.

I have a battery charger that tells me the charge on the battery and I use that to check it's condition.

I would get a battery charger with a meter and charge up the battery. You can also get a new battery if yours is old and due for a change.

The fact that your car started when jumped means that the fault lies in a low battery charge.

Battery charging or changing is definitely easy enough to do.

I have several spare batteries in my garage and change them frequently as needed. I can get them (practically new) at my local junkyard for only $5. It's a very good deal. They also sell jumper cables for $5. I have a set for every car.

My suggestion - charge the battery.

Second suggestion - change the battery (if old).

Third have someone do suggestions one or two above.

You should put some dielectric grease onto the terminals of the battery after cleaning them too. Otherwise the terminals will corrode even faster than when you cleaned the gunk off.

Now here's the good news... you may or may not need a new battery. My 01 had a weak battery before I cleaned the corrosion off the terminals but once that was done, greased up, and re-connected I noticed that the green eye indicator seems to be glowing alot stronger now. I think what happened is that the resistance from the rusty terminals was also interfering with the alternators' job. Once the terminals were cleaned everything worked alot better. So bottom line... keep your battery terminals clean and protected with the grease.

You'll get more cluck 4 your buck!

I think I would like to simply replace the battery. What is the best place to buy a battery? Are all batteries same or are they make and model specific? I would like to buy something inexpensive since I am getting rid of the car as soon as possible. Thank you all for your input.

• 1,424 posts
I think I would like to simply replace the battery. What is the best place to buy a battery? Are all batteries same or are they make and model specific? I would like to buy something inexpensive since I am getting rid of the car as soon as possible. Thank you all for your input.

Batteries aren't generally vehicle specific, instead cars are designed to use a certain series of battery. Your car uses a series 35, I think. Anyway, go to your closest AutoZone store, and tell them you want a battery for a 2000 Corolla. They will have several batteries in stock that will fit your car, just get the cheapest one since you don't plan on keeping the car. If you don't feel comfortable installing it yourself, have them do it.

Bikeman982

Any auto parts place can supply you with a battery. They will go by the car make/model and you can get the cheapest one.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)