Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest model1822

I was just waxing my new Corolla today and I noticed my rear bumper had a different hue that the rest of the car, then I realized the front bumper was the same. Anyone else experience this?

BTW, my car is Impluse red and the bumpers have a more purpleish hue.

Max

I have an impulse red, too. My bumpers didn't match, either. They do now, but that is thanks to being rear-ended and ending up with a brand new paint job.

I'm guessing the base material wasn't prepped enough before painting. Either more primer needed or more layers of paint.

The different prepping involved in bumpers frequently leads to a mis-match developing. I learnt this from a panelbeater.

Guest model1822

Well I'm going to live with it. I'd rather not mess with the factory paint just to get another "hue".

• 1,424 posts

You know, I've noticed that a few of the Toyotas in my area have a non-matching rear bumper. They are new ones, still on the dealer lot. They are always silver or red and they are mostly Camrys, Solaras, or Corollas.

I asked my Dad why the bumpers were like that. (He worked for Ford as an engineer in a plant in Michingan that formed and painted bumpers) He told me that happened all the time. He said that sometimes, when a bumper is painted, the paint doesn't come out just right. They basically re -prime and repaint it. Many times when they repaint it, it comes out perfect, but sometimes it doesn't. The problem is, you can't tell the bumper isn't exactly the same color until it is on the car. At that point it's too late. You could get Toyota to put a new bumper on your car ( Dad has had this done on a Ford or two ), but it is not 100% that it will match either. I say unless it really bugs you, to live with it and not go through trying to find a matching bumper

Topic List