Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla Trouble Codes

by crypticlineage, May 25, 2006

Havent posted anything in a while now. Its good to be back.

My ECL has been on eversince I bought my corolla, and I knew I had P0125 and P0420, but I just kept driving because there were no pressing drivability issues. Then yesterday just to satisfy my curiosity, I hooked up my obdII scanner to find out what more may have gone wrong. Now I have a bunch of trouble codes:

P0125

P0420

P0440

P0441

P0446

I am not in a position to fix anything due to financially circumstances and even if I want I wouldnt want to do it, because my car is due for a complete engine overhaul before December this year. Besides the car has been driving okay (apart from its monstrous hunger for oil).

I would like to find out if I could keep driving without fixing any of these codes, or if there is chance of a major breakdown if I dont fix something immediately (which I cannot).

My ECL has been on eversince I bought my corolla, and I knew I had P0125 and P0420, but I just kept driving because there were no pressing drivability issues. Then yesterday just to satisfy my curiosity, I hooked up my obdII scanner to find out what more may have gone wrong. Now I have a bunch of trouble codes:

P0125

P0420

P0440

P0441

P0446

I am not in a position to fix anything due to financially circumstances and even if I want I wouldnt want to do it, because my car is due for a complete engine overhaul before December this year. Besides the car has been driving okay (apart from its monstrous hunger for oil).

I would like to find out if I could keep driving without fixing any of these codes, or if there is chance of a major breakdown if I dont fix something immediately (which I cannot).

I haven't checked the codes, but given your stated circumstances, I think I would hook up the scanner, clear the codes, and just drive the damned thing. Oh, and keep your fingers crossed that it makes December.

Here is a link that can explain the last three codes you mentioned. They have to do with the Evap System. Look for a thread called Charcoal Cannister in the Performance section for more info

Click me!!

This can be a costly fix, since the parts are expensive.

I drove for several months with two of those codes, then I fixed it.

Bikeman982

The longer you wait - the more expensive it will get., both parts and labor. Just the nature of automotive repairs.

P0125

P0420

P0440

P0441

P0446

Those codes have more to do with emissions than anything else:

P0125 - Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

P0440 - Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction

P0441 - Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

The only one that concerns me is the first code - P0125 - probably has something to do with the ECT sensor or thermostat sticking. If that doesn't get the ECM to think that the car is fully warmed up - you will be using up more gas and possibly seeing more oil consumption (fuel dilution) because of it. This is generally related to the P0420 code as well - as the coolant temp sensor is a major cause of this particular code (makes the ECM think the cat is not doing its job). Running around with this code constantly popping up would not be a good thing - I'd try and get this fixed as funds come available.

The EVAP codes are more a nuisance than anything else - I get those atleast once a year, usually right before emissions testing. You can still drive the car around - but you may notice fuel odor right after filling up the tank or right after you shut the car off. Most of them are related to various valves, solenoids, vacuum hoses, etc.

Well put, Fish!!

A few months ago, my mechanic had replaced the temperature sensor and the P0125 was off for a bit. But then it came back on again and stayed on.

Weird - could be a wiring issue or poor chassis ground for the sensor or ECM. Since it did stay off for a bit after swapping the coolant sensor - it might point to an intermittent issue. Pretty tough to find.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)