Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Engine Noise In 2000 Corolla Vs. 1997 Prizm

by timkedz, May 24, 2006 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Hello,

I have a question regarding my 2000 Toyota Corolla that I recently purchased from the original owner. This car has only 34,000 original miles on it and it has been beautifully maintained. It has the 1.8 liter VVTi engine in it. All in all the car runs and drives perfectly. The only concern that I have the sound of the engine, especially at idle or slow crusing speeds. The engine seems kind of noisy compared to our 1997 Prizm. You can barely hear the Prizm engine at idle or low speeds, whereas the '00 Corolla has kind of a soft 'clattery' kind of noise. The car starts and runs great otherwise. It has excellent pickup and other what I mentioned, runs smoothly. Does anyone else with this engine have any comments to make about what I've noticed? Is the additional noise a result of differences in engine design, or is a possible defect with my particular car? The former owner only ran either Mobil 1 or Castrol synthetic oil in it.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

timkedz

Max

The 97 Prizm has a timing belt - quiet. The 2000 Corolla has a timing chain - the "clattery" sound you hear. I had a 97 Corolla, and now have an '03, so those engine sounds are very familiar to me.

Thanks for the response. Max!

I kinda had a feeling that's what made the difference sounds between the two engines, but, I wasn't sure. I thought it might have been just my car that sounded that way.

Also, the fact that the '00 Corolla has an all alumimum engine where the older Prizms/ Corollas had an iron block motor. Perhaps even the variable valve timing has an effect as well?!?!?!

Anyway, as long as it's not a potential motor problem, I can easily live with that!

If anyone else noticed a noticeable difference between their '97 and older and '98 and newer Corolla/Prizm, please feel free to share your thoughts. I'm sure Max and I aren't the only two to notice the difference!!

Thanks again, Max!!!!

timkedz

We have a 96 with the 4A-FE engine-its very smooth due to the timing belt. The 2000 is noisy due to the chain I believe. Our 2000 also had the oil consumption problem which was fixed. The new engine in the 2000 has many advances over the 96 including all aluminum,direct ignition,serpentine belt but is noisier.

sv11

The serpentine belt tensioner can be a big cause of noise of the 2000 Corolla, mine had to be replaced when the car was a year old, it is a 2000, it is now almost 6 years old as soon as I start using the air conditioning it starts to act up, making a clattering, rattle sound, I have learned to try to ignore it.

I have also heard newer Rav 4's making the same sound, there is a TSB for it.

Bikeman982

The chain vs rubber timing belt makes a big difference in the noise level. Nothing to worry about - normal.

Thanks all for all the advice!!!

Car runs pretty well so it's not a cause for concern right now. I do, however hate the "diesel" type of clatttering that it makes early in the morning until it warms up!!!

From what I've read on this forum, I'm not the only one that experiences this with the 1zzfe motor!! As long as it keeps running well, that is!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks all, for all your help!!!

Regards,

timkedz

The Diesel noise could be your serp belt tensioner.

Turn the a/c on and with a flashlight watch the pulley that holds the tension (smooth one) against the belt and burp the throttle alittle and watch the pulley.When you see it bounce then you know you need a belt and tensioner.

other ?? is Miles on plugs?? and any codes for mass air flow?? if you push gas pedal faster does it stumble/miss?? if so needs mass air flow checked.

any other ??

let me know

Eric

The Diesel noise could be your serp belt tensioner.Turn the a/c on and with a flashlight watch the pulley that holds the tension (smooth one) against the belt and burp the throttle alittle and watch the pulley.When you see it bounce then you know you need a belt and tensioner.

other ?? is Miles on plugs?? and any codes for mass air flow?? if you push gas pedal faster does it stumble/miss?? if so needs mass air flow checked.

any other ??

let me know

Eric

Good advice, mine only seems to act up periodically, and when it does it is only at slow speeds driving gently, have started to notice it more now that the weather is getting colder.

If I take a long screwdriver and place it on the "shock" at the back of the tensioner I can really hear the clattering sound even at idle.

To Eric and the rest of you guys, here is a little extra background on my 'Rolla;

I bought the car in March '06 off the original owner with 34,000 original miles on it.

I have 37,000 on it right now.

As far as the plugs go, I assume they are still the factory iridium plugs.

Nothing has been done to this car other than regular service, (oil changes, coolant flush, etc.)

Car starts and runs well, has excellent acceleration and runs smoothly under medium to heavy loads.

The main problem is the noise in the morning at either idle speeds, or under very light engine load for the first mile or so. I wouldn't even bother me at all except that it almost sounds like a rod knocking or other worn engine part. I does fade as engine warms up. All in all more of an annoyance rather than an outright problem.

Oil is due for a change 3k miles, but, since I have synthetic in the crankcase right now, I figure I can run another 2-3k before a chance is due. (Oil still looks golden-colored and clean.)

Otherwise, the car runs great. I guess I'd just like it to run like my old '97 Prizm. That engine is whisper quiet!

I did have a couple of no start situations on a couple of mornings, where it acted like it had a dead battery and then started fine a few minutes later, but, that's another post.

Oh, by the way, the check engine did not come on and the the MAF sensor should be okay, 'cause the acceleration is very good.

Regards,

timkedz

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm