Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Corolla S With 110,000 Miles?

Guest Marty

I just bought a 2003 Corolla S with 110,000 miles on it. It runs good and really looks good. When I bought it the check engine light was on. The dealer did a service on it and said that it was ok. They said it was about the catalytic converter but the converter was working fine. They said they replaced the timing chain tensioner assembly. When I drove off it was making a high pitched chirping sound on acceleration, which it didn't make prior to their service. So, I brought it back and explained the problem. They said they would check it out. They then told me they put a new belt on it. It's not making the noise anymore and seems to be running great. The check engine light hasn't come back on yet, although I've only driven it about 25-30miles.

Do you think there is anything to worry about? The vehicle looks immaculate and really runs well. This service was done at the dealers cost. So, what ever they did was on them. I didn't pay for any of it. I bought the car for 8900.00. Was that a fair price?

I'm new to Toyota's and this is my first one. Sorry, for sounding a bit on unintelligent side. But, I'm just wondering if I got a good deal on a good car or payed to much.

Are you sure it was the timing chain tensioner assembly??? Sounds pretty serious if it was as the timing chain is supposed to last the life of the car, or was it the serpentine belt tensioner?

My car on occasion makes the high pitched chirping sound coming straight from the serpentine belts. Already had the tensioner replaced before and that stopped it for a while. Then it came back and went away with the belt replacement. Stopped for a while and it's sorta back. I also have heard other 1ZZ-FE equipped Corollas and Matrixs with the same chirping sound so I almost have classified it as normal and wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for the converter, hopefully it was just a blip that caused the service light as converters tend to be usually costly.

Bikeman982

I just bought a 2003 Corolla S with 110,000 miles on it. It runs good and really looks good. When I bought it the check engine light was on. The dealer did a service on it and said that it was ok. They said it was about the catalytic converter but the converter was working fine. They said they replaced the timing chain tensioner assembly. When I drove off it was making a high pitched chirping sound on acceleration, which it didn't make prior to their service. So, I brought it back and explained the problem. They said they would check it out. They then told me they put a new belt on it. It's not making the noise anymore and seems to be running great. The check engine light hasn't come back on yet, although I've only driven it about 25-30miles.

Do you think there is anything to worry about? The vehicle looks immaculate and really runs well. This service was done at the dealers cost. So, what ever they did was on them. I didn't pay for any of it. I bought the car for 8900.00. Was that a fair price?

I'm new to Toyota's and this is my first one. Sorry, for sounding a bit on unintelligent side. But, I'm just wondering if I got a good deal on a good car or payed to much.

That seems like high mileage for that year (about 36-37K a year). As long as the car has a warranty with it and you are satisfied with it, then it is a good price.

Guest Marty

Yea, it is a lot of miles for that year model. The dealer said that the fella that owned it worked for a company that required extensive travel. So, most of the miles are highway miles. The car is gorgeous, really good looking and clean. And, mechanically every thing appears tight. They did the service as a courtesy to us for free. When we drove it there were no issues. So, my guess is they replaced the belt tensioner like you said and I may have misunderstood. When they changed the tensioner I guess they left the old belt on and it started the chirping. When I brought it back it only took them about 5-10 minutes and they said they put a new belt on it. That took care of the chirping, no more noise. So, I really don't think they would do any extensive work on it as that would be money out of their pocket, especially if there was no indication of a problem to begin with. This particular dealer has been honest with me before. I've bought from them before and have alway's been pleased with them.

What is the life expectancy on these 1.8liter motors? And, their tranny's. Mine is the automatic.

What is the life expectancy on these 1.8liter motors? And, their tranny's. Mine is the automatic.
Probably too soon to tell - the 1ZZFE engines have not been out that long, compared to other series of engines. But I know of a few that have started to hit the 200K mile mark with no problems - some with much less have all kinds of issues. As long as the car hasn't shown a tendancy for oil consumption or popped up EVAP related trouble codes - you're probably OK for some time. As for the tranny - just make sure they use Type T-IV ATF fluid only - has specific friction properties that must be followed. right now - the only source is the dealer - but it has been out long enough for the aftermarket to start coming out with replacements. Keep up with the maintenance and I don't see any reason why it couldn't go to 200K+ miles.

• 320 posts

High mileage is better than high age. The only way to get high mileage is by highway driving which is relatively easy on a car. My relatives out in Wisconsin routinely put hundreds of thousands of miles on their cars - they move between Chrylser, General Motors, and Toyota depending on price and service at the time (they're in a business that requires constant movement on the road) and they rarely have powertrain problems (not since giving up on Ford, anyway). On the other hand, I've had low mileage, older cars whose seals have essentially rotted away from age and probably neglect.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)