Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By jason9945, April 25, 2006

My mom had a remote starter installed in her 1999 corolla ce, it worked great for the first month then it stopped working. I finally got around to looking at it and the switch that disables the system when the hood is open does not make contact (it works when i press it down though)

My question is, if you have an aftermarket car starter like I do, where is your switch installed?

Thanks!

why not replace that switch or get a mecury switch?

why not replace that switch or get a mecury switch?
Its not the switch, its the location, thats why I asked for a better place to install the switch.

Thanks anyway

a mercury switch would work great as it doesnt have to press against anything. if you'd like to retain the mechanical switch then just glue a peice of rubber under it so that it has something to come into contact with.

The best hood switch and location is to use the factory one that they put on Corollas that came with a stock alarm. It's part of the hood latch assembly. It's about $40 and the part number is 53510-02050.

I know you said you want a "location" answer instead of a "new switch" answer, but I tried multiple locations which all enivitably failed after so many months. But I will be honest and say that most of the time, the failures were due to rust. All those aftermarket switches suck. If using the part I mentioned is too technical for you, then I would definitely use a mercury switch like the other guys suggested. Just make sure it's a good one that can account for a steep hill.

to make up for a steep incline just bend the mounting tab a bit. my friends eclipse has never had a problem in parking garages with steep inclines.

you could also try sourcing a normally open microswitch from a small parts catalog or some online source. get one with a small metal lever that will close when the hood is down and open when its up.

Bikeman982

My mom had a remote starter installed in her 1999 corolla ce, it worked great for the first month then it stopped working. I finally got around to looking at it and the switch that disables the system when the hood is open does not make contact (it works when i press it down though)

My question is, if you have an aftermarket car starter like I do, where is your switch installed?

Thanks!

Where is your switch installed? Could it be moved to contact the hinges (they are relatively stable and change only when the hood is open). I am not too familiar with it but by looking around you may find a place more suitable.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)