Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Dai_Shan, July 6, 2004

Dai_Shan

Well had a bike rack on my back trunk and it ended up shifting and resting on rear spoiler...OUCH

So it took the paint off down to the dark grey plastic in 2 small areas. Just on leading edge of the spoiler(small) About the width of a finger(.65in) and the height of like 2 stacked pennies(.1-1/4 in)

My car is the 2005 with the Silver (silver streak mica) coloring. The spoiler appears to be plastic by the sound of it...so no rust issue. But I am worried about it becoming a point of paint deterioration...flaking...and such down the road. Put some quick spray wax on it...to stop any probs for now..(couple days)

But how can i do a easy repair.

How much is the paint at dealership...can i use any silver from car shop? Price?

Tips for application so it doesn't look all ghetto...?

Thanks!

Guest rudyossanchez

hey you could some touch up paints. you can find them at pepboy or autozone even advance autoparts. be advice that you cannot fidn the color bi number so you would have to take a good look to your car to mach it. default_cool peace

The correct color touch-up paint is available from your Toyota dealer's Parts Department. All you'll need is the model year of the car and the paint code, which is located on the plate inside the door on the driver's side or on a plate under the hood. It is not expensive and it's the right stuff to use on your Corolla.

i also have a small chip ( in my hood) which goes down to the metal. is it worth patching now or will corossion rush in? will it look alright if done myself with dealer paint? also i have a pit in the windshield, not spreading, but someone said to have it filled immediately anyway. ?????

I agree with Larry - get some of the touch up paint at the dealership. Just tell them the year and color - if you don't know the paint code. Cost me about $6 for a little bottle applicator.

Since Toyota tends to put on a relatively thick coat of paint - it probably won't peel on you right away, but since the damaged area is small - a touch up bottle might do the trick.

rudyossanchez has a good point of aftermarket paint repair - may not match the finish perfectly - but some kits are very comprehesive and have excellent directions to fill and polish the repaired chip. You can find some that look like a pen - touching up should be a breeze.

induction1 - if the chip is that deep - I'd fix it as soon as you can. I have a few chips that I didn't fix for almost two years - zero rust and no flaking. Just depends where and how deep the damage is. As for the pit in the windshield - as long as it doesn't look like a crack (starting to spread) or a bullseye (deep pit with delamination) I wouldn't woory about it. Some of the glass repair kits can discolor or yellow sometimes as quickly as 3 months or may cause more damage by widening the crack. If it is a place that doesn't impair your vision - I'd leave it alone. Doesn't matter how careful your are - you gonna get a chip or a pit in the windshield sooner or later (unless you seal your car up in the house).

Dai_Shan

Alrighty folks stoped in for my first oil change at the dealership(had a coupon) so I checked on paint. And they didn't have my color...so ordered a little bottle from them(~6$).

I asked the guy if it had direections(nope) and if he had any tips....(not really) just to make sure any wax was removed...and it was clean etc.

Any other things I should do? How would i "remove any wax"? Good wash and light brushing with a nylon brush? Windex?

After application will i want to use a polishing wax? polishing compound? etc? To smooth the area? I guess i'll just have to kinda freestyle it....

Supposed to be in, in a few days.

Washing the area with dishwashing detergent, using alcohol or similar solvent will strip all the wax off the finish.

Generally do not have to prime the chip with newer body panels - as long as the chip didn't gouge the metal - you're good to go. If it did - you need to do prep the chip first.

For small chips - you can use a fine paintbrush, toothpick, etc. to fill the chip. Several thin layers are better than a couple of thick layers of paint. Fill the chip up a little higher than the rest of the area - not too much - because you will need to polish it off later.

After the repair cures - take some polishing compound and work the repair area to bring it down to the level of the good paint. Make sure that the polishing compound is clear coat safe and abrasive free - don't worry - it will still be able to cut the paint down. Follow up with some sealer / wax and your done.

Good Luck.

Dai_Shan

Welllllll.....

Dealer finally got my touchup paint in...picked it up...payed lots since it was "special new sparkle paint" ..."ok?"...

I get home...test it on a peice of paper...and it appears to be the wrong color! wtf! haha

They had checked my vin/color id and stuff on my car themselves..and orderd the paint etc.

They gave me dark charcoal silver...and i have the light silver...unless this paint lightens as it drys. ANyone know?

I guess i'll have to pay them another visist tomorrow. default_ph34r

I have the ligter silver color on my Corolla - the touch up paint is a little darker - but not by much. You can try to test it on some non-absorbent, neutral colored material and see if it dries lighter. Sounds like the dealership screwed up again.

Topic List